300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking For Advice From South Florida Officers

Hey all, current Colorado Peace Officer here looking to move to South Florida (Miami area) here in the next 6 months or so. I'm hoping some current South Florida officers can answer some questions for me!

First, almost every Miami area agency I've looked at seems to have a 10-20 year top out for pay, which is absolutely insane to me. Most big agencies in Colorado top out around 90-100k/yr in 4-5 years. For reference, here is the actual pay scale for my agency (5 years):

Step 1: Annual Income $65,586.00
    Step 2: Annual Income $70,467.00
    Step 3: Annual Income $75,785.00
    Step 4: Annual Income $80,370.00
    Step 5: Annual Income $88,398.00
    Step 6: Annual Income $94,654.00

Is 10-20 years to step out as good as it gets in Florida? Honestly, I would almost prefer to top out at 80-85k in 5 years than 90-95k in 10-20...

Next, what is regarded as the creme de la creme agency in Southern Florida (morale, equipment, opportunity, etc.)? Essentially I want to know what agency every cop in South Florida would work for if they could snap their fingers and make it so, without worrying about starting at the bottom of the seniority ladder, etc.. I plan on living ON Miami Beach and really don't want to commute farther than 30 minutes (could be convinced to travel up to 45 minutes if the pay/benefits are worth it). So far I've looked at Coral Gables, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami Beach. Also, what's the deal with Miami PD? I've been watching (occasional checks) for 3-ish years and have NEVER seen a job opening with them posted anywhere.

Lastly, I've been in Law Enforcement since September of 2014. I spent approx 2 years in a large jail system as a deputy, 2 years in the Training Unit for that same agency in charge of all jail academies, agency officer training, the FTO program, etc., and 2 years on patrol with a city municipality. Are there any South Florida agencies that take corrections experience into account for lateral pay along with patrol? I know it's a long shot, but believe it or not there are some Colorado agencies that actually consider all LE experience when determining lateral pay/what step you start at.

Thanks all and I really look forward to hearing everyones' thoughts!
    Last edited by TacticalRookie; 11-17-2020, 12:21 PM.

Yes, most agencies take 10 or more years to top out. As for why things are the way they are up there, as opposed to down here, couldn't tell you. Better for you topping out faster I suppose. If you want to work in Dade County specifically (Miami area), you'll have to do your research and see what agency or agencies fit you best because all are not the same. Do you want a larger agency or medium, small, etc? Do you want to work in a mixed area, high crime, or low crime. Dade County does things differently than other agencies, even agencies in neighboring counties in Broward, Palm Beach, and Monroe. If you are set on working Dade then look into those agencies. The corrections experience won't help you much unless you're looking for corrections again. If you are law enforcement certified and have patrol experience, that will not only help you to get FL certified, but will help as far as showing experience for a police department down here. As far as the "best" agency, that's all up to the individual. Aventura in Dade County is a bit smaller, but is a good agency. Boca Raton PD in Palm Beach County is the highest paid in FL. Coral Springs, Davie, and Fort Lauderdale in Broward are good. The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office is good. But it all depends on what you want are is best for you. If you like Miami Beach PD, contact them and apply. Doing your research, especially if you're coming from another State is very important. It's a big move. You don't want to continually jump agency to agency. Working here in South Florida is good, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it wherever you decide.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. Honestly, the type of policing I prefer is running from call to call putting out fires and then moving on to the next. I do NOT enjoy pulling latents from door knobs and interviewing roommates to try and figure out who stole your Xbox during the cold burg that happened last night. For instance, in Denver, if it isn’t in progress you are calling over the DUI unit, DV unit, or flipping someone a card and telling them a property detective will be in touch, etc.. that being said, I know that those agencies are typically the 500+ sworn officers type of agencies.

How do agencies like Coral Gables, North Miami, Miami Beach, and Miami-Dade stack up against each other? Hollywood, Davie, and Ft Lauderdale are pushing the limit of how far I’d like to commute for sure, but like I said if the top out is significantly shorter and the pay/benefits are there I’d consider it.

I have been doing research but it seems like the agencies down there don’t really like to post all of the needed information on their websites. I’ve had to read through multiple bargaining agreements to find simple things like pay scale and step schedules in some instances.

I understand where you’re coming from when you say “it’s a personal choice based on specific benefits,” but we both know that all cops know what agencies are desirable and highly sought after in general and which ones to avoid like the plague in their specific region.

Comment

Here is some data I've been compiling. Like I said, it is stupid difficult to find simple information on some Florida agencies, as can be evidenced by all of the question marks in my spreadsheet. Does anyone have any of the missing information and, if so, could you let me know so I can fill it in? Hopefully this will be helpful to others down the line. Most of this was obtained by painstakingly reading through collective bargaining agreement after collective bargaining agreement.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalRookie View Post
          Thanks for the quick response. Honestly, the type of policing I prefer is running from call to call putting out fires and then moving on to the next. I do NOT enjoy pulling latents from door knobs and interviewing roommates to try and figure out who stole your Xbox during the cold burg that happened last night. For instance, in Denver, if it isn’t in progress you are calling over the DUI unit, DV unit, or flipping someone a card and telling them a property detective will be in touch, etc.. that being said, I know that those agencies are typically the 500+ sworn officers type of agencies.

How do agencies like Coral Gables, North Miami, Miami Beach, and Miami-Dade stack up against each other? Hollywood, Davie, and Ft Lauderdale are pushing the limit of how far I’d like to commute for sure, but like I said if the top out is significantly shorter and the pay/benefits are there I’d consider it.

I have been doing research but it seems like the agencies down there don’t really like to post all of the needed information on their websites. I’ve had to read through multiple bargaining agreements to find simple things like pay scale and step schedules in some instances.

I understand where you’re coming from when you say “it’s a personal choice based on specific benefits,” but we both know that all cops know what agencies are desirable and highly sought after in general and which ones to avoid like the plague in their specific region.
          YOU don’t “enjoy” doing POLICE work that you are paid to do. YOU feel it is beneath your status unless it’s a Code Three run. You really think responding to a DV is unimportant? Lifting Latents is a waste of time? THIS from a “Tactical Rookie” with 2 whole years on the street, and probably one of the laziest.

Denver sounds like a pretty crap agency, if not, getting rid of you will be a service to the city and department.

YOU may want to lateral, THEY may not want you as you are already pushing out garbage. The BIs WILL be reading this post.

Here’s a Shinebox. Earn an honest living.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You have 2 years road experience, but act like you have 20+. Please let us know what agency you decide to go to so I don’t go there and end up as your beat partner sheesh. Domestics, bull**** thefts is all part of it until you put your time in then move onto a unit but with that attitude no unit will want you. Your attitude resembles some guy I once worked with, wasn’t a team player always looked out for himself never wanted to do anything other than his own traffic stops or drug cases and yes he may get more arrest than most but everyone knows his work ethic and 7 years later he’s still on patrol because nobody wants that. Good luck
            Last edited by Donzi; 11-17-2020, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post

YOU don’t “enjoy” doing POLICE work that you are paid to do. YOU feel it is beneath your status unless it’s a Code Three run. You really think responding to a DV is unimportant? Lifting Latents is a waste of time? THIS from a “Tactical Rookie” with 2 whole years on the street, and probably one of the laziest.

Denver sounds like a pretty crap agency, if not, getting rid of you will be a service to the city and department.

YOU may want to lateral, THEY may not want you as you are already pushing out garbage. The BIs WILL be reading this post.

Here’s a Shinebox. Earn an honest living.
              Wow, how's the view from up there on your high horse?

To me, the "xbox" comment comes off as tongue in cheek humor. And nowhere in the original post do I see where he says that DVs are unimportant. It’s okay for different cops to like and enjoy different types of calls; we all have calls we don’t necessarily enjoy going to, doesn’t mean they are treated any less seriously. I was amazed that you were able to pass a character judgement on the OP based on one sentence until I read through some of your past posts. Now I’ve arrived at the conclusion that it’s not him, or anyone else, but you. I bet you were really well-liked at your agency.

And Denver is a crap agency because...? They don’t do business the same way yours does/did? Another unfounded, uneducated comment.

As for the rest of your vitriolic post, what a load of crap.

Here’s a shine box; try and relax. No reason to elevate your cortisol levels over a forum.
              Last edited by B.Farn; 11-19-2020, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Donzi View Post
                You have 2 years road experience, but act like you have 20+. Please let us know what agency you decide to go to so I don’t go there and end up as your beat partner sheesh. Domestics, bull**** thefts is all part of it until you put your time in then move onto a unit but with that attitude no unit will want you. Your attitude resembles some guy I once worked with, wasn’t a team player always looked out for himself never wanted to do anything other than his own traffic stops or drug cases and yes he may get more arrest than most but everyone knows his work ethic and 7 years later he’s still on patrol because nobody wants that. Good luck
                See above.

Sounds like the partner you mentioned above was out there pulling drugs and warrants while you were taking 3 hours to investigate a petty theft at Walmart. “No one wanted to work with him because he was selfish.” I’m sure your sector partners appreciated getting dispatched to call after call after call while you were taking hours on a theft that should have been a 30 minute cite and release from dispatch to clear.

Oh, is that not the case? Neat how we can all pull assumptions out of CCCSD’s shine box based on absolutely nothing isn’t it?

Comment

• Donzi
                  Donzi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh geez not another guy with no road experience. Every guy with longer than 30 minutes of experience on the road knows that drugs, warrant, hookers Is all fine and dandy to mess with but not when your 10 calls behind in your zone and down 4 reports while some young buck is trying to “make a difference in his petty *** arrest of 1 gram of marijuana”. You clearly haven’t worked the road. If you show up to Walmart and LP doesn’t already have the case ready for you and all you need to do is take a warrant or lock a *** up then LP isn’t doing their job and therefore I’m out. I’m all for drugs, warrants and hookers but you have to handle your beat and take care of your beat partners otherwise all those calls you “dodged” so that you could get your petty *** gram or crack pipe with residue will carry over to the next shift and people will be cleaning up after your s*** and next time your screaming on the radio for help your buddies get there a a lot sooner or are already there.

1 gram of marijuana, LOL.

Oh geez, another “veteran” day shift officer that takes his 45 minute coffee break every day regardless of whether or not there are 10 calls holding because by god, the CBA says you get one!!!

We can do this all day. Fact of the matter is you don’t know **** about me and I don’t know **** about you, but one of us is here to help people and pass along info, and one of us isn’t. It’s clear who’s who.

Comment

• Donzi
                  Donzi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Coffee makes me s***........ so maybe 45 min at Krispy Kreme but not for coffee. Fact of the matter is............. stay safe out there.

Haha, you too. Maybe now this thread can get back on track.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4051 users online. 229 members and 3822 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X