Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• medic cop
    replied
    3Charles I feel the pain. I have went to the Town Marshal's basic course and now wish that I had taken a leave from my other job and finished the full basic course. Sounds like other have suggested looking at Orlando as a starting point. I spoke with a person from one of the training sites about the out of state program and was told that my cert prob would not be good enough. But since you have MP you should be able to get in. Good luck and be safe

Leave a comment:

• 3Charles501
    replied
    I'm a Deputy with the Marion County Sheriff's Department in Indianapolis, we no longer have the chance to move into Road Patrol/Law Enforcement due to a merger with the Indianapolis Police Department. For those that are curious, everybody is ****ed and we don't think it's cool to have a county-wide police force. Back on point. I've been through the department run 9 week academy, which allows me to be a LEO in Indiana, I'm going back soon to complete the 2 week corrections portion next month. I've also been to the Army MP School, where I also picked up 18 months of active duty doing law enforcement on base.

Would I stand a good chance of getting Florida certified without repeating the academy? If not, what would be some good agencies to go to with my training?

Leave a comment:

• skibum81
    replied
    you can try fort myers p.d. last i heard they are hiring. its a great place for some action.

Leave a comment:

• CO1259
    replied
    So I'm probably better off trying to get sponsored through the Academy down there?

Leave a comment:

• ftlaudcop
    replied
    you would have to get your ny state certif recognized here and take the state test, then yr fla certified, then some how take the corrections to
    police cross over glass, and take the state police certf test.

some may require you work and go thru a agency down here
    others may be able to self sponsor after yr corrections is recognized.

Leave a comment:

• CO1259
    replied
    Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar boat. However, I'm already a CO in NY. Would I be able to transfer my cert down there then take the PO classes?

Leave a comment:

• ftlaudcop
    replied
    I would avoid the fla dept of corrections as i would typhoid mary,

if going the corrections / jail route....go county

some are ran by sheriff, a few by county commission

Leave a comment:

• five0686
    replied
    Originally posted by barr151 View Post
    You can also check Florida Department of Corrections Site. They are always hiring and you pick where in the state you would like to live (need to apply and list a certain prison/area). You also have the availability to transfer somewhere else within DOC. They also have housing at the prisons (waiting list) for families. A lot of people use this as a stepping stone into LEO. Get cert. in corrections, have a paycheck and then sign up for your crossover class to LEO. Working in corrections you work shift work, which may benefit you on the crossover class, at least in attendance with the crazy hours of the academy (1pm till 10pm for fulltime LEO cert).

Maybe someone with DOC can give some further insight for ya. Good luck.

Be careful some police departments don't take a crossover applicant. You may have to do the full police academy.

Leave a comment:

• barr151
    replied
    You can also check Florida Department of Corrections Site. They are always hiring and you pick where in the state you would like to live (need to apply and list a certain prison/area). You also have the availability to transfer somewhere else within DOC. They also have housing at the prisons (waiting list) for families. A lot of people use this as a stepping stone into LEO. Get cert. in corrections, have a paycheck and then sign up for your crossover class to LEO. Working in corrections you work shift work, which may benefit you on the crossover class, at least in attendance with the crazy hours of the academy (1pm till 10pm for fulltime LEO cert).

Maybe someone with DOC can give some further insight for ya. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• donjuan856570
    replied
    anyone else have any ideas as far as where i should be looking???

Leave a comment:

• mgaray9273
    replied
    Don Juan send me an Email..
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I think every single jail in the state of Florida is hiring right now, I know we are short an entire shift! so the CO's are making a killing in overtime. If you are interested in being a CO, you should research Florida first, figure out what area you would like to live in and apply there, I think the job is the job everywhere you go. If I were you, I would hook up with bigdi1 from Pinellas county, that is a nice area of Florida.

Leave a comment:

• bigdi1
    replied
    Check you private message. I sent you a message.

Leave a comment:

• bigdi1
    replied
    CO's in florida don't have arrest powers, at least in Pinellas they don't. We can detain on our facility until a patrol deputy comes. Check out www.pcsoweb.com. We are hiring as of now. I think the next group starts in August, but I am not sure.

Leave a comment:

• donjuan856570
    replied
    well i wouldnt mind working as a C.O as long as i had the oppurtunity to make it to the road. The thing about me is this, im currently living in jersey, and expecting my first child (daughter) which was due actually 3 days ago..but shes too stubborn to come out..lol. and looking to start my family in a nice place wheres theres good schools..work for my fiance..and a law enforcement job for me. So im hoping this will help you guys help me to narrow this down. Now as for NJ C.O's have arresting powers and carry off duty, is this the case in Florida? C.O's are basically cops up here except they cannot right tickets and are capable of making arrests but its not something that should be done unless its a situation that calls for it..and no by the way im not certified..high school degree...and 8 years of working exp.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3207 users online. 145 members and 3062 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X