300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best place to apply in florida out of state

hey im just curious what you guys can tell me about getting a job down in florida...im open to central, south,east, all of it. I have a high school degree and have work experience all the way back to 1999 although not related to law enforcement..im guess im what you would call entry level. No college. Any tips as to whose hiring right now and where id see good oppurtunity for a career...(im from jersey)..anything let me know..much appreciated..thanks guys
    "If I won the lottery, I'd buy myself a police department. I'd hire all my buddies and we'd all drive Corvette patrol cars and sit around the doughnut shop I would own. Whenever someone would come in and say "I guess this my tax dollars at work", I would tell him to get the hell out my doughnut shop, then we'd all laugh and try to figure out what to do next."

--Quote taken from User "kcso"....hope you don't mind buddy, but this was just too funny not to steal from you....I'm still laughing.--

Are you certified?

Comment

First you probably will have to put yourself through the police academy and then you can look for a job, I don't think there are many places that are willing to sponsor someone, the one's I know about require a Bachelor's degree. Now if you want to go to corrections it would be easy because everyone is short handed in corrections and they will send you to the academy, pay you a lower salary while you go to the academy and most agencies are even offering sign-on bonuses.

Good luck!

Comment

well then in that case what are good correction agencies?
        "If I won the lottery, I'd buy myself a police department. I'd hire all my buddies and we'd all drive Corvette patrol cars and sit around the doughnut shop I would own. Whenever someone would come in and say "I guess this my tax dollars at work", I would tell him to get the hell out my doughnut shop, then we'd all laugh and try to figure out what to do next."

--Quote taken from User "kcso"....hope you don't mind buddy, but this was just too funny not to steal from you....I'm still laughing.--

Comment

The best place to apply is the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office in Largo. We don't sponsor for Law Enforcement, we sponsor in Corrections. Go the St. Petersburg College website, www.spcj.edu and click on the location dropbox on the left side of the page and select the Allstate center. You would have to go through the Police Applicant Selective Screening and once you pass that you would then go through the Leo academy. Pass the state exam and drop an app for the PCSO. If you get LEO certified first, then do a 2wk Corrections cert., work at our jail then put in to go to the road. We may hire you for LEO instead of corrections, but the opportunity is there for both jobs.

Comment

just about everyone in southeast florida is hiring in corrections, with collier county thrown in there as well. PBSO was where i was looking.

Comment

well i wouldnt mind working as a C.O as long as i had the oppurtunity to make it to the road. The thing about me is this, im currently living in jersey, and expecting my first child (daughter) which was due actually 3 days ago..but shes too stubborn to come out..lol. and looking to start my family in a nice place wheres theres good schools..work for my fiance..and a law enforcement job for me. So im hoping this will help you guys help me to narrow this down. Now as for NJ C.O's have arresting powers and carry off duty, is this the case in Florida? C.O's are basically cops up here except they cannot right tickets and are capable of making arrests but its not something that should be done unless its a situation that calls for it..and no by the way im not certified..high school degree...and 8 years of working exp.

Comment

CO's in florida don't have arrest powers, at least in Pinellas they don't. We can detain on our facility until a patrol deputy comes. Check out www.pcsoweb.com. We are hiring as of now. I think the next group starts in August, but I am not sure.

Comment

Check you private message. I sent you a message.

Comment

I think every single jail in the state of Florida is hiring right now, I know we are short an entire shift! so the CO's are making a killing in overtime. If you are interested in being a CO, you should research Florida first, figure out what area you would like to live in and apply there, I think the job is the job everywhere you go. If I were you, I would hook up with bigdi1 from Pinellas county, that is a nice area of Florida.

Comment

Don Juan send me an Email..
                      [email protected]

Comment

anyone else have any ideas as far as where i should be looking???

Comment

You can also check Florida Department of Corrections Site. They are always hiring and you pick where in the state you would like to live (need to apply and list a certain prison/area). You also have the availability to transfer somewhere else within DOC. They also have housing at the prisons (waiting list) for families. A lot of people use this as a stepping stone into LEO. Get cert. in corrections, have a paycheck and then sign up for your crossover class to LEO. Working in corrections you work shift work, which may benefit you on the crossover class, at least in attendance with the crazy hours of the academy (1pm till 10pm for fulltime LEO cert).

Maybe someone with DOC can give some further insight for ya. Good luck.
                          Patrick
                          Excuses only please the one telling them!

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.

Comment

Originally posted by barr151 View Post
                            You can also check Florida Department of Corrections Site. They are always hiring and you pick where in the state you would like to live (need to apply and list a certain prison/area). You also have the availability to transfer somewhere else within DOC. They also have housing at the prisons (waiting list) for families. A lot of people use this as a stepping stone into LEO. Get cert. in corrections, have a paycheck and then sign up for your crossover class to LEO. Working in corrections you work shift work, which may benefit you on the crossover class, at least in attendance with the crazy hours of the academy (1pm till 10pm for fulltime LEO cert).

Maybe someone with DOC can give some further insight for ya. Good luck.

Be careful some police departments don't take a crossover applicant. You may have to do the full police academy.
                            sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

I would avoid the fla dept of corrections as i would typhoid mary,

if going the corrections / jail route....go county

some are ran by sheriff, a few by county commission
                              " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                              " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4622 users online. 302 members and 4320 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X