300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orlando/ Orange County

Last edited by mco_popo2b; 12-16-2007, 03:51 PM.

With all the questions you asked it would be better to just go to their respective websites and find the info.
    "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Ocso

Originally posted by mco_popo2b View Post
      Is the Orlando Police Department and Orange County Sheriff's Office currenty hiring PO's and DS's?

How many positions are currently available? Do they both offer take home vehicles?

Are shifts 8, 10, or 12 hours? Do you pay into retirement or does the deparment contribute total amount?

Do both sponsor applicants thru the Academy? Do they have their own academies, or do they use outside academies? If outside academies which ones do they use?

Is turnover very high at either agency, with Officers or Deputies going to greener pastures? Or does one usually stay with the agency?
      I can give you the OCSO viewpoint as I am currently in the field training phase. That is just IT! Training at OCSO is the best you will find around the state. They take it seriously, work hard at it and take pride in what they are teaching the new DS before they hit the road. They build you into a warrior mindset, and give you every neccesary tool to do your job effectively. Handgun, shotgun, taser, oc, asp, laptop, etc.....
      They have take homes but after you get off FTO, which is about 20 weeks. The first 6 of that 20 is classroom, hands on, tactical training. Great stuff! The next 14 weeks are riding with your FTO's.
      The SO works 11.5 hr shifts, with a 2 on, 2off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off. Every other weekend off. The Sheriff pays 100% into your retirement and at 25yrs you can get 75%.
      They can sponser you, but you better have an awesome resume and have at least a 4 yr degree, while in great physical shape. They send their recruits to Valencia Comm College for the academy (VCI).
      I don't know about turnover, as I just started, but OCSO is a huge agency (1300 DS) with many avenues to broaden your experience. They have every special unit you can think of and great benefits.
      Its a great place to work and everyone, Ive met treats you like family.
      Good luck and PM me if you have anymore ?'s.
      "the greatest failure is a failure to try."

Comment

I have to go with Hodges... I LOVE OCSO and all that they have done for me as a Deputy. Sure, they pay a bit less than others, but paycheck for paycheck it is about the same after other agencies take out the retirement. We are the BEST and know it. Come work with us and see!
        "Warning... objects in mouth are larger and sharper than they appear!"

Comment

.....................................!
          Last edited by mco_popo2b; 12-16-2007, 03:51 PM.

Comment

What are the hiring steps for Orange County? Just the basic PT test, written, psych, poly, and BI? I didn't see it on the website.

Comment

To MCO... glad to see you "jumping in". Good luck on the process. OCSO pays extra for a bachelors and a masters degree as well as a state stipend for specific state classes (RADAR, instructor, etc.).

To aftermath... steps are pretty simple:writing test, poly (voice stress), oral board, PT, psych, medical, and BI. They are really helpful with the process and we are hiring a BUNCH over the next few months. The earlier you apply, the earlier you get processed. Good luck!
              "Warning... objects in mouth are larger and sharper than they appear!"

Comment

Just don't have any visible tattoos and you'll be good to go. :P
                "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Originally posted by dogcopper View Post
                  To MCO... glad to see you "jumping in". Good luck on the process. OCSO pays extra for a bachelors and a masters degree as well as a state stipend for specific state classes (RADAR, instructor, etc.).

To aftermath... steps are pretty simple:writing test, poly (voice stress), oral board, PT, psych, medical, and BI. They are really helpful with the process and we are hiring a BUNCH over the next few months. The earlier you apply, the earlier you get processed. Good luck!
                  Any idea what academy they are currently trying to fill. I interned with OCSO last summer, and am interested in coming on. Also, living out of state, would they make an attempt to group tests together so I could get it done in a trip or two?

Comment

I know OCSO still is going to have an October academy and if you don't get that one there is always January.

Comment

OCSO Written test

What's the written test like for the second stage of the Orange County process? I currently at this point now and am curious as to what to expect. I have my "Police Officers Exam" study guide but the lady on the phone told me it was only 45 minutes so they must not go too in depth.
                      - J.R.

Comment

The written is actually, you watch a video of a crime that occurred earlier. You watch it and take notes. Then you write a report on it. They rate you on how well you can pay attention to details and relay that and what happened on paper.
                        Good luck!
                        "the greatest failure is a failure to try."

Comment

Originally posted by Hodges View Post
                          The written is actually, you watch a video of a crime that occurred earlier. You watch it and take notes. Then you write a report on it. They rate you on how well you can pay attention to details and relay that and what happened on paper.
                          Good luck!
                          I suppose there is really no way to prepare for this kinda thing. I've done the memorization pictures and scenarios out of my police officers exam book and I am pretty good at those so hopefully I shouldn't struggle with this too much. Any pointers on how to prepare or should I just not get over anxious and psych myself out?
                          - J.R.

Comment

It's too easy man. Whatever the people say that seems important, write it down! Remember that the more information you have the better.

Comment

Originally posted by LCPLPunk View Post
                              It's too easy man. Whatever the people say that seems important, write it down! Remember that the more information you have the better.
                              I'm not too terribly worried about it. My current job has me writing reports on incidents all the time so basically it will be old hat for me. I'm just suprised that they allow you to write details down, seems it would be more challenging if they didn't do that.. Oh well, its not until the 23rd so I'll be looking forward to it.
                              - J.R.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6216 users online. 326 members and 5890 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X