300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tallahassee PD

I am thinking of making a lateral transfer to TPD from TX. Anyone have any information on what TPD is like? Thanks.

Be Safe
    ...that could be cannon fire...

Thanks for asking.... I was going to post the same question when I got on today. I really dont know much, but if anybody has any good information it would be helpful. The one thing I do know is they are looking for a new Cheif or they just hired a new one.

Comment

I went to school there. I don't know much but it does seem like they deal with a lot of out-of-control college students. Big party town...

Comment

I also went to school there, very good Department. I had a Lieutenant, currently the Watch Commander due to knee surgery, as a professor. Great person, great department. Don't know what else to say. Don't pay bad at all for the amount of service calls, plus Tallahassee is not a huge city.
        I DON'T FIGHT TO WIN, I FIGHT TO SURVIVE.

Comment

Alright, from what I can remember, TPD is about 250-300 sworn....starting pay I believe has been bumped up to $40,000....the dept. deals with a lot of drunk, out-of-control college kids from such schools as FSU, FAMU, Keiser College, and Tallahasse Comm. College...heard that the dept. has pretty good morale..and there ya have it!
          "A man is a fool if he tries to pet the dog that once bit him."- Cheif William Gillespie

Comment

TPD is a great department.

Right now they are horribly understaffed so getting hired will not be an issue if you are transferring. You get a little of everything here, Tallahassee has the poorer neighborhoods, the drunk college kids (Always fun) and anything you will find in a mid sized city. During college Fall semester Tallahassee has a population of a little under 300K. The starting pay is almost at 40K and there are so many bars and events it it not rare to work a bar for 4 hours at ~40 dollars an hour.

If you have any questions Ill do my best to get em answered.
            U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
            Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

Yea, Im going to apply for them when I finish the academy in December. I just got accepted for the upcoming August academy at the community college. Do they have take home cars?

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I went to FSU so I am familiar with the city. I wanted some inside info on the dept. Canman, they do have take home units and you can live anywhere within 35 miles of the city.

Be Safe

Comment

Tpd

Hey ya'll

I am currently an officer with the City of Tallahassee. We currently have 375 sworn officers as well around 200 non-sworn employees. Our pay starting in October will be close to 41k for a new officer. The cost of living is much cheaper than south and central Florida. We have take home car program and the typical FTO program lasting 14 weeks.

Many have stated that there are a bunch of drunk college kids and is a party town. I would have to disagree with those comments. We do have close to 50k students when school is in session, but our city population is over 220,000 people. A majority of the "drunk college kids" are confined to one area, and FSU has their own PD that handles the campus. We have lower income neighborhoods like everywere else, as well as having middle and upper class. We are also the state capitol, so a lot of residents work for various state agencies.

As far as morale goes, it is good at this time. We offer a lot of training, and require a two year degree. I would say close to 80% have a bachelors degree, and at last check, 30% have a masters. We work 4/10 shifts (7am-5pm, 4pm-2am, 9pm-7am). They love having potential applicants due ride alongs, so just call or stop in to fill out a form. We are swearing in close to 25 new officers next week, who will start the FTO program soon after. Like everywhere in Florida we are growing fast, and are understaffed and looking to hire. If anyones got any other questions let me know, and I will be more than happy to help ya out.

Comment

I understand you said the starting pay will be low 41k in october. Do individuals with a four year degree start out at a higher pay or do they just get the $960.00 from the state? How about off duty details? Are officers allowed to start working off duty after FTO? How is the retirement system?Last question I start the academy in August, but will they allow me to start the application process when I am in the academy? lots of question, but thank you for the help..

Comment

Folks with a 4 year degree are paid at $80 extra a month. We do have a pretty cool fitness program you can earn extra money as well. You test every 6 months, and basically how ever fast you can run a mile and a half in, depends on how much money you get. Folks age 20-30 for instance get paid $45 a month for under 10 min., $35 for under 12 min, and etc.

Take home car program is within 35 miles of the department headquarters, which is almost in the middle of the city. The FTO program is known as being rather tough, and more difficult than most agencies. I believe the passing rate is up to about 70% now. You are allowed to begin off-duty employment once your probation is complete, which is a year after your swearing in date. Like TPD Cadet said, there are tons of off duty employment opportunities. Nothing's better than getting paid while watching an FSU football game. There are tons of opportunities in the fall, as well as the Spring when govt is in session.

I applied while I was at Pat Thomas Academy, and got hired about halfway through. It is tough getting time off to do interviews and what not, but the academy staff will often work with you.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Be safe out there.

Comment

At 40,000k starting, with OT, how much can a rookie officer make? I'm not familiar with Tallahassee but I know its north from the ocean, are hurricanes less common than other florida cities?

Comment

Originally posted by DEPO View Post
                            At 40,000k starting, with OT, how much can a rookie officer make? I'm not familiar with Tallahassee but I know its north from the ocean, are hurricanes less common than other florida cities?
                            I grew up in Suwannee County just 80 miles to the east and went to FSU. Hurricanes were never an issue (except for the football team of course ). We would get the rain from the outer bands of the hurricanes though.

Comment

TPD85 I PM'd you
                              Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sydney J. Harris

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4398 users online. 254 members and 4144 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X