Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie weighing employment opps

I have a bit of dilemma:

I was turned down by Orange County Corrections because I "failed to meet the minimum requirements for employment".
    (I called to inquire about the specific requirements I failed to meet but no one seemed to know what it was).
    SO I went ahead and applied to the Orange COunty Sheriff's Office as well as the Department of Juvenile Justice
    as a Detention Officer just to get my foot in the door. I have basically been hired by the DJJ & just need to
    take the Drug Test and I am scheduled for the VSA with the OCSO on 06/05. I'm pondering whether I should go ahead
    and take the job with DJJ just in case everything falls through with the OCSO or should I just stay at my current job
    which pays a little more than DJJ while I pursue a career with the OCSO?

Any help or insight into both of these agencies would be greatly appreciated.

make it easy on yourself.
    do you want to be a Corrections Officer/Detention Officer or an LEO.

then just self-sponsor and don't wait for a hand out.
    or go FHP and ask for the orlando area.

in most all situations that i've heard, the first place you get hired will not be the first place you applied.
    apply every where. it's the foot in the door policy.

lastly; if you're worried about working somewhere over pay, you probably don't deserve the job.
    Last edited by dogma vs karma; 05-29-2007, 03:27 PM. Reason: edit
    "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

"if you're worried about working somewhere over pay, you probably don't deserve the job."

Not neccessarily true. A few years ago when I was applying I Lived in Orange Co. I was going to apply to OCSO, but didnt b/c of the pay. Went to South Fla. and got 13K a year more to do so (Then again, I wont ever be able to buy a residence of any kind either).

Comment

If I can't afford a house then why would I move there? :P Orlando is bad enough and i'm probably going to end up moving out into the rural area just to afford a house payment.

Now, from what i've seen the best place to be a cop would be Austin, TX. Starting pay is like 52k and housing is dirt cheap.
        "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Originally posted by dogma vs karma View Post
          then just self-sponsor and don't wait for a hand out.

I'm just wondering: why does getting hired by an agency and being paid to attend their academy equal getting a hand out?

Comment

Braison20

Tell me more, where are you at now and where are you trying to go? DJJ (ran by the state) blows. Whether u work at McDonalds of DJJ doesnt matter when it comes to getting hired if they believe u can do the job and u pass through the process they'll hire you. There is may other PD/SO out there other than OCSO. Look and apply everywhere Collier CSO, Ft Lauderdale, Broward CSO, Lee CSO is hiring and sponsoring 4Yr degree applicants. PM if I can offer any advice.

Comment

Originally posted by SubVet View Post
              I'm just wondering: why does getting hired by an agency and being paid to attend their academy equal getting a hand out?
              i've met a lot of people who waited for someone to give them the golden goose.
              i ponied up and just paid. i wasn't going to pass everything with a department, just to not make it in an academy. and then i did not want to wait for a "paid slot". i chose free agency. in sports terms, free agents typically maximize there value this way.

not saying getting paid to go is a bad thing.
              "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

I "failed to meet the minimum requirements for employment".

Orange County must disclose to you what requirement you failed to meet. I would call there HR dept. and speak to a rep. to find out what it was first so you can work on it if you can.
                LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Well, right now I work for Coke as an operations clerk & I have a part-time gig as a tech support agent. It pays the bills but I really don't enjoy either job. I'm not looking for a handout & never have. I just choose to work smarter & not harder & if I am blessed enough to get a spot in the academy because an agency feels I'm worth it then I don't look at that as a handout but a blessing. I've read other posts on this board where LEO advised other hopefuls that paying your way through the academy still doesn't increase your chances of getting on with an agency.

Thanks Hog, I'll keep trying to get a definite answer from them.

Comment

oink oink!
                    LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2875 users online. 158 members and 2717 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X