300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive tactics/Martial arts

Anyone here know of any good martial art schools in Miami obviously for law enforcment purposes. Which would be a good martial art to take?

If anyone could recommend places in Broward, that would be helpful as well. Thanks.

Comment

I've been lookin' around here (South Florida) for a good school that actually teaches you something useful. But the majority of the places I have found are the "fad" places. You know, the one's most of the "well off" people go to do something that looks kinda like a martial art and they get the perk of saying, "Well, I take..."
      I've checked out quite the few and I always have a hard time verifying the instructor's claims or credentials.
      If anyone comes across and actually finds a real school, please pass it along.

I'm not LEO yet, but I would imagine any martial art is better then none. But if I ventured a guess, it would be something like Krav Maga, jiu jitsu, and the like.
      Good Luck.
      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

I have a buddy that takes jiu jitsu, it is out near Tamarac, it is the lotus club jiu-jitsu. He said it is a good group of people and i know he goes to lots of tournements, that have a boxing coach and that... i know that two BSO cadets go there too. They have a brother club in NY, and i know that the owner trains with the people and is hands on. He said it is really good, i want to join but i just need the time, i am sure in the future i will join. i googled and found the site. http://condejiujitsuteam.com/ check them out hope it helps.
        Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
        Proversb 3:5

Comment

I personally like to wrestle or spar with friends. I think I need to be as realistic a situation as I can get. My boys don't hold back.
          LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I don't know how far coconut creek is to you, but american top team has a post there. They're not a run of the mill after school tae kwon do club. They are actual cage fighters (thiago alves, jeff monson, antonio silva - ring any bells?) teaching only boxing and mma (boxing/muay thai/judo/jiu jitsu). Go there a month and learn just how insignificant you are to a trained fighter that weighs 50lbs less than you.

ATT is one of the best mma camps on the planet. They just opened up one in orlando headed up by seth petruzelli, alot of great fighters coming out of his schools.

Comment

find a krav maga school.
              "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

Thanks for the replys. I am going to check out the one in tamarac see how it is. jiu-jitsu is good for L.E since the majority of the fights end up on the ground anyway. American top team is one of my options i dont know how it works tho, i hear its really expensive, whenever i get some time i want to go there and to the gracie school. About krav maga it is badass but i went to a place that teaches it and from what the guy there told me only 2 schools here in south florida do it which its them and one in miami beach, their school SUCKED i did not like the way they trained at all, and to drive to the beach after work is def a no for me lol So lets..

Comment

I agree that krav maga is a great system (not an art), but that most schools in the states do not teach anything worthwhile. If you want KM, go to a Moni Aizik (commando km) training camp and find Israeli-taught instructors near you.

ATT is as good as any Gracie school. The Gracies taught many of their instructors and you get the benefit of boxing/judo/muay thai with MMA programs. However you are correct, it's a bit pricey compared to an after school karate deal. However you really do get what you pay for - hence the reason actual UFC fighters train there.

I am one that disagrees about 99% of fights going to the ground. Maybe half go to the ground if that. However most fights can be TAKEN to the ground with a good throw or takedown. Remember, jiu jitsu requires alot of flexibility that we do not have while in uniform. A full gun belt and bpv restrict you more than you think, so please, supplement any grappling art with a good stand up system - however choose one that does not focus on kicks as heavy duty boots and that gun belt come into play.

Note: there is an Akido instructor somewhere that teaches a system for uniformed officers.

Comment

Martial Arts Vs Muscle Mass

Ladies and Gents,
                    This question might seem off the wall, but I thought I would ask. I am testing for a Deputy Trainee program, and assuming I am accepted and make it through the academy, I will very likely end up working custody for a couple of years. Knowing what you know, would you recommend bulking up via weights, or picking up Krav Maga, TKD or JJ or some other Martial Art as a skill set? I know that the academy will involve some Self Defense training. I am already working on PAT and doing lots of running. But as a professional working in a corrections/custody environment would you rather be in possession of Martial Arts Skills or Muscle? BTW, I am 5'7" 160 in good shape, if that helps at all. Thanks in advance for any info! I really respect everything you all do, every day!

Comment

Brett - Do both.

Get some muscle mass, but not so much as to slow you down. Big muscles may be intimidating, but they are not effective in combat.

I do not believe TKD is worth the time. There are other systems (KM, Muay Thai, BJJ) that will make you a more effective fighter much quicker. Remember, the academy will put you through a bit of DT training. Not much. IMHO - not nearly enough to be a truly effective fighter. Seek additional training. Most DT programs are a mix of Krav, Muay Thai, American boxing, judo/jiu jitsu, and akido.

More important than your DT, is your ability to communicate. If you can, study up on Verbal Judo and other empathy communication tactics. Ofcourse there is always that guy who just wants to hurt you, but the majority of scuffles could have been stopped by the officer/deputy's ability to effectively communicate.

Comment

As a uniform police officer, any martial art that involves wresting in the ground gives your opponent the upper hand. Number one your opponent doesn’t have 50 pounds or more around his waist nor does he have to worry about weak or strong side. If you don’t perform the takedown correctly the weight of the subject plus the equipment around your waist will knock the air your of lungs. What they will teach you in the academy is mostly softhand martial arts techniques that derive from Aikido, Hapkido & Judo. I will agree that you should definitely learn defense techniques against ground fighting as you will more than likely end up there more than once as a police officer. But having said that, you don’t want to use ground fighting as your main form of self defense.

I found myself in a couple of fights where the subject had no intentions of running nor giving up but just plain oh wanting to fight it out. There was no way in many cases that I would have wrestled the subject to the ground as he had 50 to 60 pounds over me. What kept me alive was just a simple technique that you will learn in the academy called, “Evasion & Re-direction”. If you can’t over power your subject then use his brute force against him. I see a lot officers getting into Brazilian Jujitsu and more than once they end up in the supine and that is the end of it.

Comment

FLPD - I agree that an officer initiating a ground fighting scenario that had the option to stand, is an ill advised officer that's in for a world of hurt. We do not have the mobility necessary to truly utilize ground fighting when in gear - though we should learn escapes, as many people are learning BJJ due to the popularity of MMA - one must know a route of escape JIC SHTF.

KM is the way to go if you can find a good instructor. If you can't, get in touch with the commando krav maga people about nearby seminars.

Comment

Thanks for all the input!

You guys rock, thanks for the input, there is a KM school just down the road, so that's what I am going to do!

Comment

RadioBrett where is the krav maga school that you are thinking of going to by?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3166 users online. 151 members and 3015 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X