Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FHP (Re-posting this here--Better Placed)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FHP (Re-posting this here--Better Placed)

**I posted this in the Questions board but figured the Florida board would be a more pertinent place for my topic/question--Thanks to those who replied to my thread in the other board.**

Greetings Everyone,

I applied for the Florida Highway Patrol several months ago and after a grueling process filled with a battery of tests (physical, polygraph, psychological, medical, etc), I've been accepted!

The only thing is all of the negativity surrounding the FHP has now caused me to sit back and think. I attended a Criminal Justice fair where I spoke to several troopers from the NYSP, Connecticut SP, Vermont State Police and Rhode Island State police. They are all hiring and encouraged me to stay up North and go through their process.

My question is this: Should I take an already guaranteed job as a State Trooper with Florida (even though morale and pay are low--remember, I'm only 21 years old--this may only a stepping stone--or I may take the career route and promote all the way to major), or should I go for the gold and apply with a higher paying agency such as Connecticut, Rhode Island or New York?

I am a few classes away from a Bachelor's Degree and have knowledge of written Arabic, spoken/written Spanish and spoken/written German. My ultimate goal is to go Federal, but if I find my niche in a State Police Agency/Highway Patrol, I'm not averse to promoting.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Be safe out there!

Mike

Originally posted by LEO_Phenom View Post
    **I posted this in the Questions board but figured the Florida board would be a more pertinent place for my topic/question--Thanks to those who replied to my thread in the other board.**

Greetings Everyone,

I applied for the Florida Highway Patrol several months ago and after a grueling process filled with a battery of tests (physical, polygraph, psychological, medical, etc), I've been accepted!

The only thing is all of the negativity surrounding the FHP has now caused me to sit back and think. I attended a Criminal Justice fair where I spoke to several troopers from the NYSP, Connecticut SP, Vermont State Police and Rhode Island State police. They are all hiring and encouraged me to stay up North and go through their process.

My question is this: Should I take an already guaranteed job as a State Trooper with Florida (even though morale and pay are low--remember, I'm only 21 years old--this may only a stepping stone--or I may take the career route and promote all the way to major), or should I go for the gold and apply with a higher paying agency such as Connecticut, Rhode Island or New York?

I am a few classes away from a Bachelor's Degree and have knowledge of written Arabic, spoken/written Spanish and spoken/written German. My ultimate goal is to go Federal, but if I find my niche in a State Police Agency/Highway Patrol, I'm not averse to promoting.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Be safe out there!

Mike
    I would take the job you have been offered by FHP if I were you. The recruiters from those other agencies are just telling you stuff that you want to hear. I currently live in CT right now, and I know it's a very lengthy process to get hired by CSP. It takes up to 18 months in some cases.
    I also used to live in Florida, so I know what FHP does too. There job is not
    that bad. They do Signal 4s all day (Crashes), and traffic stops. Most people
    at FHP are happy, and this way, if you decide later to apply up north, do it
    while you are a current working law enforcement officer!! That always looks
    really good on your resume!! Good Luck!!

Comment

Take the sure bet job and go with FHP! It's a a good agency and you can always lateral elsewhere in a few years. Beware that they do have an agreement that you stay there a specifed period of time after you get hired or you owe them $.
      Last edited by CPDjock; 05-26-2007, 08:41 AM.

Comment

How much longer till you have your Bachelor's? If you are close I would suggest sticking it out and completing it. Once you start working you may find you don't have enough time, or you may not have enough willpower to finish it.

If you want to go Federal you are pretty much gonna need that BA/BS and you might as well get the MS too while you are at it. As far as FHP is involved, are you prepared to live ANYWHERE in FL? I wouldn't mind FHP if I could select where to go, but I really would not want to move down to Miami because everything down there is uber-expensive and I don't know how I would survive on a Trooper's salary.
        "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

One you have have the answer to that question, but if I were you I would take the job. When I went to the academy I was faced with a similar situation, I chose the inmediate and sure thing and took the lower paying job. I have loved every minute of it and now, three years later I can basically pick what agency I want to work for. Any agency would much rather hire someone that has proven they can do the job, that someone off the street that may not even make it. If you go for it, just remember once you are a Fl trooper dont let them brain wash you, they tend to do that to people. Thats just my 2 cents...
          Angela

Comment

Go for it!

Okay coming from the academy and now doing the job, I will start off with it's been the best decision in my life.

Whether I stay here 20+ years or I will lateral, only time will tell. I love my job. I know you've read most posts here and they all seem negative, I went through the same questions in my head too when I read these posts. But I made my choice and it was the best choice.

What you don't read here is how much MOST Troopers really like their jobs. The ones that complain here are very few compared to the rest of us. We get a good starting pay compared to the rest of the agencies in the state. What bites is the raises every year but hopefully with the separation bill that will change by next year. The freedom we have is unmatched, if you want to find drugs, you can, if you want to find DUI's, you can or if you "just want to do your job," you can. You will not be locked into this little box of a zone that might be 1 mile big.

Also with off duty jobs we make just as much as other agencies do. Granted we are working extra hours to make the money but we don't carry the stress other agencies do. And I'm not bashing other agencies because in my County, contrary to what you read here, we all get along good and back each other up on the side of the road. Most Agencies except Sheriff Offices have to contribute 7-12% percent of their base pay to their pension! We don't contribute anything with FRS.

Ultimately it's your choice, But if you choose the FHP route just remember the training is tough and one of the best. Our first week 4 people couldn't cut it and left in the middle of the night including a career Marine. Don't waste anyone's time including yourself. If you decide to do it, do it all the way. It's not easy, it wasn't for me with 7 months of training away from my family but the reward at the end was well worth it.

Stepping stone or not this job is awesome and it will give you what you need for the future whether it's a good resume or a career.

Comment

I have a question. Since the FHP is tate LE agency and their primary duty is Highway Enforcement and Safety, do you guys ever take people to jail? And where do you take them?

Comment

Originally posted by alpha1906 View Post
                I have a question. Since the FHP is tate LE agency and their primary duty is Highway Enforcement and Safety, do you guys ever take people to jail? And where do you take them?

People often mistake traffic enforcement for writing tickets. While that is a large part of it, it's not the only part. Here is a good link showing FHP's activity over the past few years. There is plenty of good criminal stuff out there if you want to find it.

http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/html/troop_act.html

The last year that is listed is FY 05/06. In that time FHP had 1,019,497 tickets (yes, that's one million) 85,938 misdemeanor arrests, and 9,667 felony arrests. Not to shabby for an agency (according to some people), that are just Triple A with a gun.

In Florida, all arrestees are transported to the county jail which is run by the Sheriff's Office.
                Last edited by Florida Smokey; 05-26-2007, 09:28 PM.

Comment

FHP = Triple A with a gun.

I will definately have to remember that, thanks!

J/K!
                  "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

I just about fell on the floor, laughing at that one...

Yes,we are a law enforcement agency. Yes we take people to jail all the time. Its actually funny that you bring that up. I stopped someone once on a local road and they thought that I didn't have any jurisdiction. We're state wide, homey. He didn't bother contesting it in court, but I would've loved to hear his argument.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

No, no,no. I wasnt trying to be funny or slam n the FHP or anything. That was a serious question. i thought pergaps if a situation arose wher ean FHP Troope had to arrest they would call a Sheriff for transprt. Thats what I meant. I wasnt sure since I have never seen that. Of course the FHP is a law enforcement agency with fulll arrest poweres. I know that. but I wasnt sure of the procedures since you guys dont maintain a jail. So do you just take them to the nearest jail in whatever county you happen to be in? Thats what I am curious about

Comment

No, no,no. I wasnt trying to be funny or slam n the FHP or anything. That was a serious question. i thought pergaps if a situation arose wher ean FHP Troope had to arrest they would call a Sheriff for transprt. Thats what I meant. I wasnt sure since I have never seen that. Of course the FHP is a law enforcement agency with fulll arrest poweres. I know that. but I wasnt sure of the procedures since you guys dont maintain a jail. So do you just take them to the nearest jail in whatever county you happen to be in? Thats what I am curious about
                        The county that they're arrested in is usually the county that we take them to jail in, 99.9% of the time. Sometimes you can drop them off to a holding cell at a local sheriff's substation or one of the local PD's will take them. Then they'll transport the arrestee to the county jail for you. I work so far south that there are a couple of places that will transport misdemeanors for you so you don't have to get caught up in traffic. (It can easily take over an hour to transport someone to the county jail). The county sheriff is tasked with operating and maintaining the county jails, not the state. So, by law they will accept all prisoners with a proper arrest form.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

But you have to do the arrest report and all the paperwork and go to court right?

Comment

Originally posted by LEO_Phenom View Post

Not to end the hijack of the thread, I'm learning something new about FHP, but I would like to answer your question.

I think you should take the job with FHP and get your foot in the door. Once you get through the training and get that certification, you're good to go. Hell, spend some time on the road and get comfortable in the process and if you don't like it down here, move on.

If your job here is guaranteed, then why risk not getting in somewhere else?

As far as the negativity about FHP, you're going to find that about every department/office out there. There are always going to be people saying bad things about a place. If it was really that bad would the department still have people applying? Would there still be Troopers on the highway?

Good luck to you.
                            “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

Hats off to FHP they work alone on Florida's Highway sometimes without back up, and if they do its minutes away. When you are in a fight with subject it will feel like a lifetime before back up arrives.
                              sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4380 users online. 280 members and 4100 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X