Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I have time to work on my Master's in the Academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I have time to work on my Master's in the Academy?

Howdy all,

I am seriously wanting to try to get my Master's started during my Academy and i'm wondering if this will be too much to handle. The Academy i'll be going to will be Monday through Thursday, 6AM to 4PM so I know i'll have a decent amount of time for homework, but I just wanted to see if anyone has done or is doing this and how it turned out.

Thanks in advance!
    "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Don't bite off more than you can chew. There are going to be some extremely demanding weeks in the academy. In our academy, if you failed one test you were dismissed. Why would you want to risk that if it took you so long to get in? IMO, I would wait until after the academy.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

LeanG is right, there is alot going on in the academy and adding to your plate might be a bit too much at this point. You need to get through the academy, get through FTO, and make probation. That's alot right there to deal with. Yeah you may get out of the academy at 4pm, but you're going to want to go home and go to bed most nights. Then, FTO is tough also, you need to pick up alot of information very quickly. Then before you know it you're on your own and wondering, ok, what do I do now? I'd recommending waiting a little while before going back to school. I know you want to better yourself and give yourself an oppertunity for higher education, but this is a career and a demanding one at that. So right now your focus needs to be on your career and getting over these present and upcoming hurdles. Good luck to you though.

Comment

You might first want to check with OCSO. I know that if you're sponsored by my department, you're not allowed to have a second job on the weekends, and you can't take any other classes while in the academy.

Comment

your not going to have time. there is just no way. my academy runs from 7:15 to 4:30, which basically means your out of the house from 630am to 515pm. By the time you get home and all that your NOT going to want to be working on college stuff. Your also going to have to do some studying. Not to sound arrogant, but i have a CJ degree and only study a couple hour a week and have passed all the test so far with above a 95%. Ihave tostudy cause theres some stuff on the tests that is just so DUMB and has nothing to with the job, but the state says you have to learn and be tested on it. But there are people who have to study basically everyday after class and make 101 notecards for every chapter in order to pass, so in my opinion DONT do it, you'll have plenty of time after the academy and FTO to work on your masters. Your department will probably even pay the tuition for it. At the very least, Give the academy 3 - 4 weeks to kick in and then make the decision as t if you can handle it. If your academy is anything like mine you can nly get below a 80 on one test and then have to retake it to get an 80 r higher. After that the first score you get below a 80 your out. You DO NOT want to fail a test and then have to wrry about passing everything for the rest of the academy.

Comment

Grad school while in academy

Originally posted by LCPLPunk View Post
            Howdy all,

I am seriously wanting to try to get my Master's started during my Academy and i'm wondering if this will be too much to handle. The Academy i'll be going to will be Monday through Thursday, 6AM to 4PM so I know i'll have a decent amount of time for homework, but I just wanted to see if anyone has done or is doing this and how it turned out.

Thanks in advance!
            My 2 cents worth: No, No, and No. Even if you were a genius and could keep a 3.2 average in Grad school and fullfil the academy requirements, you'd be pushing it and wouldn't be any good to your partner while in the car. That is not fair to them or you or your family.

Be patient! At least wait until you hit FTO status or follow what the guys have just posted. Most dept's will not endorse you going to school until your probation period is over.

If you haven't already started grad school let me tell ya sumphin': it is a lot of work, research, 20-30 page papers and presentations. Oh yeah, lots of reading too. To pay homage to both, do one at a time, just be patient you're almost there.
            2lucky

Comment

As always, good advice guys, I think I WON'T be doing trying to get my Master's until i'm done with the Academy and FTO.
              "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Much to learn young one much to learn. Wait for it.
                LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

'Wait for it.'

I am reminded of that Star Wars scene where Luke and the other fighter pilots are in the Death Star trenches. One of the guys is close to the target and in his ear he hears 'Wait for it, wait for it..' and then a few seconds later gets shot down while waiting.

I know exactly what you mean, and I definately am going to wait, but I don't want to wait too long.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4198 users online. 254 members and 3944 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X