Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From TX to FL

Hello all,

I’m trying to do some research on the process of moving from TX, where I’ve been a police officer for 4 years to Nor FL where I’m from. I know that there’s a EOT course that certified officers can take which leads to the SOCE for FL. My question is how much of the information covered in the EOT course actually prepare you for the exam. How much different is the FL test from the TX test?

Also, is there anyone here from TX that has moved to FL? If you continued in LE, what was your experience with this process?

Thanks!

DJ

I just completed EOT/EFT through Florida Public Safety Institute. I would highly recommend you check them out. The first 4 days is showing proficiency in the high liabilities. After that they prepare you for the State Exam.

Also, try this site
    https://www.myfloridapoliceexams.com/ I signed up for 30 days it cost 20 dollars. Had a ton of practice exams etc..

I even had several questions from the site on the state test.

Good Luck
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sydney J. Harris

Comment

• j_devonte38
      j_devonte38 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for that information. Out of curiosity, are you from TX? If so, how much is really different when talking about penal code and Florida statutes?

Originally posted by j_devonte38 View Post
    Hello all,

I’m trying to do some research on the process of moving from TX, where I’ve been a police officer for 4 years to Nor FL where I’m from. I know that there’s a EOT course that certified officers can take which leads to the SOCE for FL. My question is how much of the information covered in the EOT course actually prepare you for the exam. How much different is the FL test from the TX test?

Also, is there anyone here from TX that has moved to FL? If you continued in LE, what was your experience with this process?

Thanks!

DJ
    There is a police academy in Marianna, FL. The college is Chipola College. This link will take your directly to the EOT. https://www.chipola.edu/instruct/riv...quivalency.htm If it doesn't, simply google Chipola College Police Academy. The cost is only 350.00. Marianna is in North Florida west of Tallahassee. It's a very rural and inexpensive place to be. You could probably find an Air BnB for next to nothing there. The course is only 40 hours. (1 week)

The difference in FL and TX are not vastly different. Things might have changed but I worked in Florida starting in 2004 but I haven't been there for many years. I have spent several years as an officer in Texas. The elements to the crime are very similar but it will be called something different. For example, hitting someone in Texas is an assault. Hitting someone in FL is called Battery. In Florida, if you swing at someone and miss, that would be assault. But the elements of battery are going to basically be the same as the elements for assault.

In Texas, you have Class A, B, C for Misdemeanors, in Florida, they are 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree misdemeanors. In FL, there is no such thing as a State Jail Felony. Its 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree Felony or 1st, 2nd, or 3rd degree Misdemeanor.

Basically, what I am telling you is, you will have absolutely 0 issue with the state exam.

Good luck

Comment

• j_devonte38
      j_devonte38 commented
      Editing a comment
      MCSO, I definitely appreciate that information. Thanks!

What must be demonstrated for each high liability area? I understand firearms and first aid but what specifically do they require you to demonstrate for defensive tactics and defensive driving? Not worried about either but would like to be prepared for what’s expected. TIA.

Comment

• Moose225
      Moose225 commented
      Editing a comment
      Im interested in this as well.... my prior academy did instructional blocks on EVO for driving in the classroom curriculum, but we didnt have any actual behind the wheel driving time during the academy... wondering if Id be way behind the curve, or if its something that Id have no trouble with.

Originally posted by killian0317 View Post
    What must be demonstrated for each high liability area? I understand firearms and first aid but what specifically do they require you to demonstrate for defensive tactics and defensive driving? Not worried about either but would like to be prepared for what’s expected. TIA.
    It was not bad at all... In defensive tactics my instructor demonstrate, then we preformed... The Driving was easy... we did a cone serpentine cone course forward and backwards 3 times and done.
    Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Thanks for the info tcode3. I’m looking forward to getting this process started. This virus has put a hold on the EOT process at the colleges but it’s giving me time to research the agencies I want to apply to.

Comment

Thanks for the info tcode3. I’m looking forward to getting this process started. This virus has put a hold on the EOT process at the colleges but it’s giving me time to research the agencies I want to apply to.
        No problem glad I could help.... I know about the delay because of the virus...I applied with FHP and all testing has been suspended until May. Recruiter said it could be longer... Oh well I still have a job.

On another note about EOT. When I was doing my research on where to attend, I looked at Chipola College. It is cheap, however I was told the class size will be anywhere from 20-30 in each class. That was a no go for me. I wanted a smaller class. At Florida Public Safety Institute there were only 6 my class. In addition they have a dorm Single room only cost 27 a night. The class starts on a Saturday and ends the following Saturday. After the high liabilities is complete you will start the SOCE exam prep. Basically, you take practice exams of 50 or so questions over each chapter of the Academy Curriculum. On the last day you will take a 200 question exam just like the State Exam.

After we complete the class we had an option to take State Exam the following Monday.
        Last edited by tcode3; 05-03-2020, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• j_devonte38
          j_devonte38 commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely beneficial information. I too have attempted to start the application process with FHP but like you said everything has halted. So for the EOT course at FPSI, it was a week long and did you all have a couple of days to go over the SOCE? I mean really how difficult is that test?

As info, I received an email from the director of the EOT program at Chipola today. They have cancelled all of their EOT courses for the year but they will still process the EOT forms when they return to their office. I’m going to get my docs together for when I receive word they can process again. Looking to apply along the east coast as I have family in St. Aug area. However, I’m not opposed to those salaries in the Tampa, Clearwater, or St. Pete area!

Comment

I highly recommend Chipola. I went there a year ago for the week and it was great.

Comment

As info, I received an email from the director of the EOT program at Chipola today. They have cancelled all of their EOT courses for the year but they will still process the EOT forms when they return to their office. I’m going to get my docs together for when I receive word they can process again. Looking to apply along the east coast as I have family in St. Aug area. However, I’m not opposed to those salaries in the Tampa, Clearwater, or St. Pete area!

Gulf coast state college in Pensacola is another choice. Ive been in communication with them this past week and they have a class scheduled tentatively for June 15-18. I’d advise looking into them as well.

Comment

Are they still processing EOT applications at this time?

Comment

• j_devonte38
                j_devonte38 commented
                Editing a comment
                As far as I know they are. I just sent mine in last week and am currently waiting to hear back from them (GCSC) either by the end of this week or early next week.

Keep me posted if you could. If they are still processing I’ll send my paperwork down.

Comment

Keep me posted if you could. If they are still processing I’ll send my paperwork down.
                I have heard back from them, late last week. They received my application, but stated since they’re all working remotely from home the application processing is on hold. They did advise they’ll reach out to me as soon as they hear back on when they can return back to work.

This is a far better answer than Chipola College because they’ve stated that they anticipate not holding the EOT course again until next year. Hopefully that changes since the country is looking to reopen soon.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3576 users online. 232 members and 3344 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X