300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoo Problem

Does anyone have a problem where they can't get hired because of a visible tattoo? Also are there any agencies that don't care period and none of that it's a case by case basis crap because that's what they say to me everytime and it never flies. I have a small tattoo of two kanji characters on the side of my neck and it's only half visible in uniform. I'm having it lasered off (4 times so far to be exact), but have to play the waiting game till it's gone to get hired so any info on any agencies with no policy is appreciated thanks.

Originally posted by TheLaw View Post
    Does anyone have a problem where they can't get hired because of a visible tattoo? Also are there any agencies that don't care period and none of that it's a case by case basis crap because that's what they say to me everytime and it never flies. I have a small tattoo of two kanji characters on the side of my neck and it's only half visible in uniform. I'm having it lasered off (4 times so far to be exact), but have to play the waiting game till it's gone to get hired so any info on any agencies with no policy is appreciated thanks.
    The ones of I know of is City of Miami, Miami-Dade, Hialeah, they don' care but the tattoos can't be gang related or any hate groups.
    sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

I have the same issue. I have a large grim reaper on the inside of my right forearm and the background investigator told me it might be a cause for concern. I'm still waiting to hear back what they decide on, but hopefully it's good.
      "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

I have kanji letters down the inside of my forearm as well but most agencies will let you wear long sleeves if it's an issue. Good luck LCPLPunk! Are there any agencies closer to central FL that don't have policies or is Miami it?

Comment

The long sleeve thing is definately a no go for me. I couldn't stand having to wear them while directing traffic for hours in the sun. :P Have u looked into FHP? I honestly would rather go military than FHP, but it's something to look at.

TheLaw, if u don't mind me asking, are u applying with OCSO?
          "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Most agencies I've talked to don't care too much about forearms/arms being that you can wear a long sleeve coolmax shirt under the uniform. However most DO care if they aren't covered on duty. I would assume neck/legs are the same.

I rode with a guy in Tavares that was wearing the summer uniform and had to cover up his leg tat. He did it well with a black ace bandage sort of thing.

I have one that pokes through from time to time on my arm if I'm wearing short sleeves, so far that hasn't been a problem with any agency.

I have seen quite a few old salty guys with military tats on their arms that don't get bothered. SCSO has some guys with visible forearms/legs and Melbourne has a guy with a full sleeve.

For now it's probably best to keep your new pieces under the shirt.

Comment

It depends on the nature of the tat... If it is considered offensive and it can't be covered, your going to have an issue. Just as as pvttjc states... keep 'em under the shirt.
              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I know that V.C.S.O doesn’t want visible tattoos. Some agencies don’t have a problem with them.

I’ve also heard that not hiring someone for visible tattoos is discrimination. Contact an attorney and check it out.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Cartman View Post
                  I’ve also heard that not hiring someone for visible tattoos is discrimination. Contact an attorney and check it out.
                  Negative. Not hiring someone because of a visible tattoo is NOT discrimination. This has already been brought up, fought in court and LOST (by the tattoo fan). I believe the case was in Texas. Federal courts have said, their department, their rules. If that's their hiring policy and you wanna work there, get it removed.

Now, with that said, I'm an avid fan of tattoos as I have 14 of 'em myself. It does suck that there are a few agencies I can't apply to that I'd like to, but oh well.
                  Why are there so many babies on O.com? Creole, you and your buddy JPSO Recruit help me out on this one....

* "Preach always, if necessary, use words!" St Francis of Assisi

* Luke Chapter 6, Verses 27-36

Comment

Jacksonville has no problem with visible as long as it's not offensive
                    "Sir the reason we are treating you like you're always in Jail is because you are always in Jail. You've been here since 2003, isn't it about Time to take it up the road?"

Comment

FLPD doesn't seem to mind either. I know two officers that have full sleeve tats all the way to their wrists. They still got hired. Oh, and they don't wear long sleeve shirts.
                      “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

BSO has a few with full sleeve's but I think it was done after they completed their probationary period.
                        LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3347 users online. 163 members and 3184 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X