300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In academy/Will I get hired?

I just finished my third week of training at the SWFLA Criminal Justice Training in Fort Myers. So far everything is going great. The only problem is I am not sponsered. I am in the start of the process of applying to LCSO.
    I just filled out the prescreen and will be dropping it off tomorrow.(5/12/2007)
    I am wondering if anyone knows if LCSO or any agency for that matter will come to the school and pick up the people who are putting themselves through the academy? About how long into the academy do they come in to look at the ones who don't already have jobs? Any help would be greatfull. Thanks

When I was there, many agencies showed up(about half way through the academy) to the academy to pitch their departments to the open enrollment students. I think we had 4 or 5 open enrollment students in there, and by the time the academy was over, everyone had a job. If I were you, I would put an application into everywhere that you may want to work, so by the time those agencies start coming around you will aleady have a leg up. Good luck on your next test, its a trcikey one!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ball2117 View Post
      I just finished my third week of training at the SWFLA Criminal Justice Training in Fort Myers. So far everything is going great. The only problem is I am not sponsered. I am in the start of the process of applying to LCSO.
      I just filled out the prescreen and will be dropping it off tomorrow.(5/12/2007)
      I am wondering if anyone knows if LCSO or any agency for that matter will come to the school and pick up the people who are putting themselves through the academy? About how long into the academy do they come in to look at the ones who don't already have jobs? Any help would be greatfull. Thanks

Ball
      The 111th has 5 self enrolled and they grad june 8 and none have been picked up yet.Alot of people think they can buy there way into a police job and it just doesent work like that, you will need to apply to every dept around here and around the state this is not like hair school or auto body school, you will need to find a dept that needs people bad. Lee is hiring for Corections only right now and taking there corection guys and moving them to the road. Do you miss Melendes yet???????

Comment

With all this property tax stuff happening, you might find yourself in a bad position. I use to work with Collier and took a job with another agency in the state beginning of the year and I'm a little nervous. If my agency has to start cutting people I'm going to be at the top of the list.
        sigpic

Comment

academy

I was under the same impression that when you graduated from the academy, pass the exam you could pretty much get hired anywhere. obviosly with a good background. I thought all the departments were hiring. This sucks im going to applyto central floridas academy next week.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I am trying to get into LCSO due to living in Lehigh. I know Cape is hiring but I really don't want to have to drive to the Cape to work. The benefits are so much better with LCSO. And as for Melendes..... no I don't miss him. I am sorry to see that he didn't make it, and I was hoping he would pass, but he was driving people crazy in just the third week, and actually he started to upset some people the first week.

Comment

Last edited by Delta_V; 07-30-2008, 01:22 AM.

Comment

I agree with Patrick. And to make matters worse for those just now attending or soon getting out of the academy, if agencies do start laying people off, you may soon be competing against a large number of experienced officers for a small amount of open positions throughout the state.
                sigpic

Comment

I think some of you guys are too picky-the "job chooses the man,not the man chooses the job" in thi situation.Like "preservice" guys here in CA. i tell them that they should act and think like "mercenaries"-the first agency open that will hire them,go !being preservice is a waste if you are NOT flexible-that why you went preservice and paid your way thru the academy in the first place!

I know guys here in Ca. who drive up to 75 miles one way just to get to "the job" and are glad to have it,even if they have to work 12-16 hrs a day then make that 75 mile + drive back home! Go strong,but stay HUMBLE and HUNGRY! have your drivers record,credit,personal recommendations all in order.There should never be the word "no" in your vocabularly.If local Dept "X" or Sheriffs Dept "Y" isn't hiring,look straight to the next county over-even if its a College Campus or School dist PD-its a certified PD,and if you decide it doens't pay enough or give you the "Action" you want-learn all you can there,keep your "nose clean",and transfer(lateral) later to where you want .

Had a Best friend put himself thru a so.Cal,area academy,pulled that "i want this dept only crap" and it took 9 yrs before he actualy got on a dept- the Now Defunct LA Comm.college Dist PD-a dept that had 125 officers,patrolled 11 campuses,with a student body of 120,000 and 5,000-.the pay "avg" but it got him trained and some patrol experience-3 yrs later that Dept was taken over by the LASD-the largest Sheriffs Dept( office as you guys call it) in the Nation,and old bud got an immediate $12,000/yr raise.bottom line -do what you must to get hired,and go from there.Lastly,although you love your home state,sometimes you have to go else where to realize your dream and your life-come west(Tx,Az,Nv,Co,Ut,Ca.,Nm, Ok,Or,Wa,Id)
                  Last edited by DOAcop38; 05-12-2007, 07:33 PM.
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

apply to more than one place.
                    just a heads up.
                    "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

Florida is sounding like it might end up like michigan( layoffs, etc.). The only exception is that in michigan you have to selfsponsor or leave the state. There arent any departments that sponsor anymore. Except the state police...who are laying off and freezing all hiring. oh and they are also only allowed to drive their patrol cars 60 miles a day.
                      Last edited by mlane1352; 05-12-2007, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Believe me most departments in fl won't be laying off any police officers. Most cities are growing and crime is off the chain in most areas. Apply everywhere it may take sometime but you will get hired. I paid my way through the academy and had five job offers after I was certified 0 when I started the academy.

Comment

this sounds pretty bad, do you think that it is even worth putting myself through the academy. Its going to cost me enough, then with no job at the end would really not be a good thing.

Comment

I guess I was being a bit narrow minded in thinking I can get hired by the agency that I want to work for. I am going to apply at Ft Myers, Cape Coral, LCSO, HCSO, and CCSO. In the academy I have a few people who are being sponsered by LCSO but it is due to them working for or with them for a few years. They have told me I shouldn't have a proplem getting hired, but they might be trying to make me feel better about the hiring process. I live in Lehigh Acres and it is growing, along with the crime, thats why I was thinking of being able to get into LCSO since Lehigh dosn't have its own PD. Thanks for the help everyone. Any more insight/advise would be great.

Comment

I'm north of you ball and my area is under a freeze as well. At least for the local PD's who would get hit the hardest depending on what Tallahassee does. Like other people have said just apply everywhere. Someone will pick you up and if it's not your first choice then in a year or so you can transfer out. Most important thing now is getting a job. Like another poster said, we are growing and crime is growing with us. They can't hold off hiring cops when lots of places are already down in numbers as it stands. Good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6272 users online. 366 members and 5906 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X