300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the Florida Highway Patrol

I aminterested iin being an FHP Trooper. What are the shifts like? 8 hrs, 12hrs? Also, how do they decide what part of the state you are assigned too?

i just talked to an FHP guy. he's on the job for 10 years and makes less than 40k.

when i was interested in FHP i talked to a background recruiter (after i passed the initial assessment and app screening!) and i quote, "we typically do no like prior law enforcement."

i threw everything away after that. they send you these letters that say please respond with "this" info so we can continue in your hiring process.

nearly all counties have an agreement with FHP to handle crashes. deputies don't do them, they will wait 2+ hours for something that takes 10-15 minutes.

sorry if you think i'm a turd, fhp gets the neatest equipment, has some awesome special units, and the Florida retirement system.

i was just given a bad taste. good luck.
    Last edited by dogma vs karma; 05-11-2007, 09:30 PM. Reason: edit
    "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

I wish FHP worked all our crashes and we were allowed to sit around all day waiting for them to show up. The only thing I know they work for us is fatalities.
      sigpic

Comment

I seen no compelling need for anyone to even join them,
        for your entire career you';; be waiting for that huge raise from tallahassee
        like every state law enforcement agency....when i retire next year,
        my f.r.s. retirement will be close to 50,000 a yr......
        the same guy as a trooper maybe 30,000.....
        " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
        " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by alpha1906 View Post
          I aminterested iin being an FHP Trooper. What are the shifts like? 8 hrs, 12hrs? Also, how do they decide what part of the state you are assigned too?
          Per policy, 8hr or 10hrs only. Shift dictated by the Troop Commander (10hrs are usually for specialty squads, like DUI). Also, you're at the mercy of the colonel when the decision is made as to what part of the state you will be assigned to. They normally try to send you back home. And you can transfer anywhere in the state (after your 1st year) The perks of the job are what keeps me and others here, though. Not the money.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Ya, but if you can do the same thing somewhere else and make more money why not do it?
            "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Originally posted by LCPLPunk View Post
              Ya, but if you can do the same thing somewhere else and make more money why not do it?
              Well, I can tell you that money is not everything but it sure makes life a little easier. We are the lowest or the second to lowest paid state agency in the whole USA. We are short handed, morale is low, and we are losing about 9 troopers a month. The brass up in Tallahassee is so disconnected from what's going on in the field, it's not even funny. They think it's all fine and dandy and that we are all very happy and all is A OK. When in reality we are hurting on the road due to the shortage of troopers and the money issue. So why apply to FHP? Well consider this:
              The little perks like LeanG stated. We have the best equipment money can buy: from brand new patrol cars that come equip with fire suppression system, to new laptops, printers, new light bars (bright as heck-you could literally see our lights from a mile away or more), and the list goes on. Also we have no roll call so you take a 10-8 (go on duty) from your house. We have lots of freedom (unlike many agencies, we don't have a Sgt or a Lt hovering around us all the time, and sometimes I don't see my Sgt for a week). We have the state retirement system, good health care, and a great network of support. FHP does a completely different job from other agencies. We are a big traffic unit, so if traffic is your thing FHP is the place to work. No barking dogs calls, no loud music calls, and usually no domestics unless it happens on the highway or any state road that we handle.

But like every agency we have our good things and bad. You could make good money, but you are going to have to work for it (Off-Duty rate is $45 and hour or more and you are allowed to work an extra 32 hours a week if you so desire).
              I've been here 5 years and make about 42K. We are at the mercy of the state legislatures when it comes to pay raises and money. Just to give you an example, we (FHP) were sort of promised by the Gov a 5% pay raised, and a $500 dollars per year for up to 10 years (so a 10 year trooper would have gotten $5000, and a 5 year trooper $2500). You know what we got? A one time $1000 bonus. What a slap in the face that is. But legislators had another agenda and we got left behind, AGAIN.

I love this agency for many reasons but it's really time to look some place else. I'd hate to leave because of the money, but I have 2 kids to put through college, and a mortgage to pay. If we were paid a competitive salary, I guarantee you that we would have a waiting list to get hire. Lots of city officers and deputies would love to work here (I've been told by many of them) but they cannot afford to take a pay cut.

Again, just the facts as I see them. I am sure other Troopers have a different opinion in a different part of the state (I'm stationed in South Florida).

Good luck applying and let me know if I can answer any other questions.
              Last edited by frostbiteCRA; 05-12-2007, 12:14 PM. Reason: added some other information

Comment

Frostbite, what is the housing like down there? Me and my wife looked at a homebuilder's site and it is amazing the differences in prices around the state. If you like FHP you could always request to move somewhere where the housing is cheap and still be content. Although, the housing where you live could already be cheap, and then there isn't a fix for that.
                "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Thank you all, but LeanG was the ONLY one to actually answer my question. I never asked anything about the money and you guys asumed I am wanting to make a career with the FHP. never said any of that. I merely asked asked about the shifts and location of working. I am not interested in a career with the FHP. I have specific goals and reasons for wanting to work for them. Thanks. I am in the National Guard and I wil have a side job so moneyisnt the issue.

Comment

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate all the advice on the pay but I know it sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by LCPLPunk View Post
                      Frostbite, what is the housing like down there? Me and my wife looked at a homebuilder's site and it is amazing the differences in prices around the state. If you like FHP you could always request to move somewhere where the housing is cheap and still be content. Although, the housing where you live could already be cheap, and then there isn't a fix for that.
                      I'm in Broward County (Ft Lauderdale area) and housing is not cheap down here. And yes you can transfer anywhere in the state where housing it's cheaper but some areas of the state do not have the off-duty we have down here...and unfortunately that money is needed due to our salary being so low, and is good to have.

Comment

FHP got jammed on the pay raises this year.
                        With gas prices being the way they are and inflation, I just cannot see how can they justify skipping FHP and other state agencies on pay issues.

Comment

FHP didnt get a pay raise this year?

Comment

That is correct, WE DID NOT GET A PAY RAISE THIS YEAR!!!! We received a one time $1,000.00 bonus payable in October.

Comment

Ok, on another point.........I know you have to go where the FHP tells you to go. But do you make a wish list? And how long do you have to be at a station before you can request a transfer? I wouldlike to work in north Florida near Tallahassee or jacksonville. But suppose I get Miami, how long do I have to work in miami before I can transfer to Tallahassee?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3109 users online. 151 members and 2958 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X