300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More opportunites and livable wage

Last edited by tuebor; 05-28-2007, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuebor View Post
      Greetings to all, I am changing careers and had some questions about Law Enforcement positions in Arizona and Florida.

1:Are more jobs avl in Arizona or Florida?

2:Which state has the better cost of living?

3oes Arizona or Florida receive more applicants? (Which is more competitive

4:Which state has better retirement?

5:I see several posts stating its harder for a white male to get hired in central Florida, or Florida, is that true?

6:Which State has the more militartic vs college type academies?

7:It appears Florida has more take home vehicle ops, does Arizona have many take home ops?

8:Which state has better benefits, such as pays family insurance, pays your retirment contribution?

Thank you in advance!
      I guess I can take a stab at this..::::::RUBBING HANDS TOGETHER::::

1. Florida- due to large amounts of retirement, large increases in the state's poulation, high costs of living in certain parts of the state, people leaving to other states due to hurricanes.

2. Hmmm....gonna have to go with Arizona. Florida has its cheap retail, but from what I hear, Arizona is pretty dirt-cheap.

3. Oh, this is an easy one.....Definetely, FLORIDA! EVERYBODY is come to the state for its beaches, warm/non-snowy weather, and hot girls! I don't know of many people running to the 110+ degree summers in Arizona. LOL!

4. Don't know too much about Arizona, but Florida's State Retirement is good from what I hear. Any agency under the FRS contributes 100% towards an employee's retirement. Not too bad....

5. Maybe...Affirmative Action could have something to do with it. Not 100% sure, but I'm guessing that departments are looking for officers that can "reflect" the changes of the different cultures moving into their communities.

6. Hmmmm....not too sure about this one. It varies from academy to academy...I know that Florida does have a few college-type academies, but I'm sure others on here could help you out a bit more. You can also try the Arizona forum, and some of the users make give you insight as to how the academies in that state are structured.

7. Not too sure about Arizona, but a lot of Florida departments do offer take-home vehicles; it varies from department to department.

8. I would recommend for you to make a lists of police departments in each state that interests you and look at their benefits individually. Like the take-home car program, the benefits vary from department to department.

Hope this helps!
      "A man is a fool if he tries to pet the dog that once bit him."- Cheif William Gillespie

Comment

Comment

Np Prob!
          "A man is a fool if he tries to pet the dog that once bit him."- Cheif William Gillespie

Comment

4. As stated, if you get into an agency with FRS agency pays 100%. Retirement is 3% per year of service of the average of your top 5 years. Or you can do investment plan which basically puts all your retirement money each month into stock/mutual funds/etc... and you get a check for the balance when you retire.

6. Most of the academies I've seen are college based M-F 8-5. Some are a little more strict than others, but not like your in boot camp.

7. I think just about every Sheriff Office in Fl gives take home cars, and notice a lot of local PDs are going to them also. Varies from agency to agency as to whether or not you are allowed to use them for personal use and/or take them home if you live outside the county limits.
            sigpic

Comment

I CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR FLORIDA

1:Are more jobs avl in Arizona or Florida? No idea, but I know a lot of departments are on a hiring freeze b/c of the legislature regarding property taxes

2:Which state has the better cost of living? So. Fla. has a very high cost of living in relation to salary

3oes Arizona or Florida receive more applicants? (Which is more competitive
              No idea

4:Which state has better retirement? My dept. has 67% retirement after 20 years and 81% after 23.9 years.

5:I see several posts stating its harder for a white male to get hired in central Florida, or Florida, is that true? NO idea

6:Which State has the more militartic vs college type academies?My academy in south florida was very "college like".

7:It appears Florida has more take home vehicle ops, does Arizona have many take home ops? My dept. has take home vehicles after FTO is complete

8:Which state has better benefits, such as pays family insurance, pays your retirment contribution? My dept. contributes 7% a paycheck to retirement

Comment

Comment

Orlando/Orange County are two big agencies that take applications continiously. Best to check out their web pages for more info.
                  "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4982 users online. 281 members and 4701 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X