300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWC September 2019 Closing Date Discussion

Thread for anyone who is applying for the academy in the September 14, 2019 cutoff.

I went through the process last year and made it as far as the panel interview, giving it another shot this year. I just submitted my People First State of Florida application; risky bet on my part, but I'm assuming we receive information about the supplemental application after passing the PAT like last year?

That is my understanding as well. My second time to apply as well. I went to the academy in March 2018 and failed firearms qualification in late May. I'm going to be very prepared this time.

Comment

Hi! This is my first time applying. I’m working on getting in shape for the PAT. Is there anyone in Volusia County that wants to train with me? Are there any training or practice facilities or groups? I have watched the video and acquired most of what I need to practice, but I’d like to workout with someone or run a real course.

Comment

• Monotonous1
        Monotonous1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I can tell you now, work primarily on cardio. If you aren't conditioned already, you'll get pretty winded because a lot of the obstacles are simulate some explosive movement.

• coonhound05
        coonhound05 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, as Monotonous1 said, it ultimately comes down to your cardio. Hardest part is the step climbing portion into the dummy drag, and while you should have some quad/hamstring strength for the dummy drag, you're going to be breathing really hard coming off the steps and you'll need to recover quickly. You can always alternate pulling the dummy as you walk forward (working your quads more) and pulling it as you backpedal (working your hamstrings more).

In a group I saw last January one guy quit after running out of steam from that middle portion of the PAT - he was pretty swole but got completely gassed and just couldn't continue.

Honestly the swim portion is kind of tricky too if you haven't gone swimming in a long time. You get disqualified if you touch the bottom of the pool at all so the best strategy is to just take is slow and steady, since it's untimed.

Don’t stress over the PAT test. Just get in decent shape and do it. It’s basically pass/fail. Get in shape and continue to train until the academy. At the academy the morning PT is CrossFit. Very high intensity stuff. Run a little and make sure that you are comfortable in the pool.

Comment

I am a CPO and applied back in April waiting to see what happens. I am ready to go to the other side of the law enforcement world. Leave probation and go into law enforcement

Comment

If you get a chance read the General Orders for FWC. They describe all the rules and regulations of the agency including the recruitment and selection process. It should answer a ton of questions that you have been wondering about.

Comment

Question; I submitted a few weeks ago and already had a successful ride-along. Spoke with the officer about a second one but he mentioned there might be a limit on the number of ride-alongs we were allowed. I've looked through the General Orders (specifically about recruiting and selection) and have not seen anything. Is anyone else familiar? I would think they would encourage as much exposure as possible for potential candidates to get a better idea before they are actually in the pipeline.

Comment

• st_martin
              st_martin commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes there is a limit to one ride along you may go on. My understanding for this is that the Officers are very busy and are getting multiple ride alongs.

• CD.82
              CD.82 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, just curious if that's in the General Orders or another reference I should be studying?

• Monotonous1
              Monotonous1 commented
              Editing a comment
              The general orders are really there to help you understand the functionality of the FWC officer. If anything, just read over it, nothing to study.

Hello I have also applied last year and made it to the interview panel and also did not make it past the interview panel sadly. Also going to be trying a second time.

Comment

Anyone have an idea of how big the applicant pool is? Just wondering and I couldn’t find anything online.

Comment

• coonhound05
                coonhound05 commented
                Editing a comment
                Official numbers can be conflicting since a lot of the eventual class size depends on a range of factors, some of which include state funding issues and other bureaucratic things behind the scenes. I think last year they ended up with a pool of about 400 people after the PAT test, and it got trimmed down from there going into the panel interviews.

Its a swim portion that the Participant will swim 150 yards continuously untimed.

Comment

Hello, I have been speaking with my recruiter and he had told me I should be getting an email in the next few weeks for the next step. But I have never submitted an application for people first. Anyone know if I needed to submit one of those to be actually in the program?

Comment

• Monotonous1
                  Monotonous1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes you definitely want to put you application in through people first. If you haven't, it might be too late to be in this class.

I posted this earlier today in one of the other threads --

Being told to wait is never an easy thing. We are go-getters and highly motivated people. The process is challenging because of the time frame and it is tasking because you want to know if you need to make changes in your life.

The simple way to look at what you have going on it, if you haven't heard "no" then it is still a "go." From beginning to end, it is nearly a year long process, every phase is almost 2 months and then the next phase.

As others have posted, it is a numbers process, many applicants dwindled to the few. There will be those that make it the first time and those that will have to apply several times over.

I was in Class 37, have just finished my year of probation, if I can offer any guidance, please just ask or drop a PM. I will not give away scenarios for you have to experience academy life for your self, but I will answer any questions I can.

Good luck to all!

Comment

• OliverFWC
                  OliverFWC commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good to hear! Thanks!

Hey guys! This will be my second time as well. Waiting to hear on PAT test dates. Anyone heard anything? I know it’s a long process just trying to stay as informed as possible.
                Last edited by OliverFWC; 10-11-2019, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Wanderlost1
                  Wanderlost1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Still waiting. Hopefully we will hear something about th PAT soon.

• coonhound05
                  coonhound05 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was told by a recruiter that they're trying to get the PATs done by December this year, which tracks, since last year the closing application date was in October and the final PAT dates were in January; the application closing date was September this year, so the timeline should move up a month this time around. I'd guess they'll start sending out PAT notices in the next 3-4 weeks?

A recruiter told me Pats will be done the first two week ends of Nov.

Comment

• Wanderlost1
                  Wanderlost1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow. That’s sooner than I thought.

• coonhound05
                  coonhound05 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmmm, that is really soon, and I'm not sure if they'll be able to make that happen.

If they wanted to give everybody about a month of notice for scheduling, which last year I heard was typical, then information on the PAT times and locations would need to be going out to all of the eligible candidates within the next few days. I guess everyone should be checking their e-mails pretty closely this week.

I got to do a ride-along today. There weren’t many people out so we didn’t have any contact with the public. I did get to ask many questions. I don’t have any good inside details, but I will say you need to treat this like an informal interview. The officers do turn in reports with their recommendation on hiring. I really enjoyed the experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5944 users online. 333 members and 5611 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X