• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSO weapons?

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66272

Am I missing something...?

Comment

As far as i know with BSO you have to supply your own weapon, It has to be a Glock and it can not be a compact glock. So the glock 22, 17, 21, 20, 37,31. I am not sure if you can use the compact like the 23, or 19. Someone from BSO might beable to help. But from the recruiter they said it has to be a standard glock
      Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
      Proversb 3:5

Comment

As of now you have to provide yourself with a Glock. BSO provides amunition and all your leather. Expandble and Flex Batons you have to purchase it yourself too. The X26 Tazer will be issued to you once you obtained certification. AR15 you will have to by one yourself too.
        LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

CIHOG
          Does it matter what model glock you buy? i know one person from BSO i talked to said they were not sure about the Glock 23 for your side arm. That you had to use the standard and not the compact.
          Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
          Proversb 3:5

Comment

Correct Italyn, As long as you do not get the Baby Glock (compact) your OK with 9mm, .40 cal, or .45 cal. I went with the .40cal Glock 22. Holds 15 rounds in the magazine plus one in the Chamber thats 16 rounds I like that and it has good stopping power with DLE ammo.
            LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by C.I.HOG View Post
              As of now you have to provide yourself with a Glock. BSO provides amunition and all your leather. Expandble and Flex Batons you have to purchase it yourself too. The X26 Tazer will be issued to you once you obtained certification. AR15 you will have to by one yourself too.
              AR-15's are being bought by BSO to be used by Deputies, just have to check them out from the department.....at least in my city they are at the moment.
              "A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living".
              John F Kennedy, US

Comment

I realize that this is an old thread, but I had one question about the weapons BSO issues, and I figured it would be better to revive an old thread rather then start yet another. So here it goes...

Did BSO just recently switch to the Glocks? I know I've seen plenty of Deputies with 1911 style weapons, Sigs, HKs, etc...
                The reason I ask is if (now) the only weapon authorized is a Glock, then I'm not even going to consider BSO. Glocks have too extreme of a grip angle for me and when I aim center mass I always hit low and to the left. Now if I aim just above the right shoulder, I'm good to go. Is there a policy in place where you can use something else as long as you can qualify? I don't like the idea of having to switch up methods when I'm carrying on duty and off duty.

Thanks.

Oh, and one more thing, I just spoke to a BSO recruiter and they said they're still excepting applications for LE Deputy but are not processing any new ones due to the volume they currently have. Just a little FYI for you all.

Stay safe.
                “The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

The deputies with the other style guns not Glocks have been grandfathered in. If you carried something else before the order came down, you can keep it. However, if you need to get a new gun, you have to get a Glock.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretNY View Post
                    The deputies with the other style guns not Glocks have been grandfathered in. If you carried something else before the order came down, you can keep it. However, if you need to get a new gun, you have to get a Glock.
                    That's what I figured, thanks for the info.

"You go for a man hard enough and fast enough, he don't have time to think about how many's with him; he thinks about himself, and how he might get clear of that wrath that's about to set down on him."

Comment

justhomp, you know your business, but I wouldn't let being required to carry a Glock deter you from applying to BSO if you want to work there. It may not be your favorite gun (it's not mine either), but you have a selection of quality high capacity weapons from which to choose. I'm sure the BSO range staff can get you up and running with the combat tupperware.

I agree with the argument that one manual of arms for both on and off duty is preferable. If BSO offers what you want other than the brand of handgun, I'd learn to carry the same or a smaller Glock when off duty.

Of course, I was pretty influential in deciding what duty and off-duty guns are used in my agency, so I may be somewhat biased.
                      John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by John from Maryland View Post
                        justhomp, you know your business, but I wouldn't let being required to carry a Glock deter you from applying to BSO if you want to work there. It may not be your favorite gun (it's not mine either), but you have a selection of quality high capacity weapons from which to choose. I'm sure the BSO range staff can get you up and running with the combat tupperware.

I agree with the argument that one manual of arms for both on and off duty is preferable. If BSO offers what you want other than the brand of handgun, I'd learn to carry the same or a smaller Glock when off duty.

Of course, I was pretty influential in deciding what duty and off-duty guns are used in my agency, so I may be somewhat biased.

I hear ya. I know it's a pretty lame reason to decide against an agency. However after being in the military I've learned to trust my life and trust my ability to protect other's lives with my firearm and the idea of having to relearn and in fact worry about changing up my shooting to fit a particular gun down right frightens me. BSO is a good agency, and I know the pistol is not the main tool of an LEO, but it's still a little un-nerving.

I know that in a life or death situation you fall back on muscle memory/training, and I'd hate to have the wrong stance/sight picture with the wrong weapon and that being a factor as to whether or not a fellow LEO or innocent doesn't get to go home at the end of the shift, ya know?

Of course I'm sure there's some nifty tactical gucciwear out there that I can slip on over my glock to change up the angle...

Stay safe.
                        Last edited by JTShooter; 06-18-2007, 06:30 PM. Reason: Added the comment about the gucciwear

Comment

quick question for you. do you think that it is better to furnish your own firearm or have one issued to you?
                          WWW.TACTICALEXCHANGE.COM. THE MILITARY AND LAW ENFORCEMENT AUCTION SITE. "YOU SHOULD BE A TACX GUY TOO"

Comment

Originally posted by sidkid View Post
                            quick question for you. do you think that it is better to furnish your own firearm or have one issued to you?
                            oh before I forget. now i know that there has to be some type of standard for firearms, however i do think that it is fair that you pick your own brand at least.
                            my agency issues the glock 22, however in my work capacity i prefer the taurus pt145, it has 10+1 capacity and it is a .45.

your opinions please.
                            WWW.TACTICALEXCHANGE.COM. THE MILITARY AND LAW ENFORCEMENT AUCTION SITE. "YOU SHOULD BE A TACX GUY TOO"

Comment

Originally posted by sidkid View Post
                              oh before I forget. now i know that there has to be some type of standard for firearms, however i do think that it is fair that you pick your own brand at least.
                              my agency issues the glock 22, however in my work capacity i prefer the taurus pt145, it has 10+1 capacity and it is a .45.

your opinions please.
                              I prefer to furnish my own, that way I know how accurate I can be and I'm used to the weapon.
                              As far as what kind I would carry, it would vary. Most times I would prefer an HK USP .40 or a Sig P226. For concealed carry I usually roll with a USPc in .40 or a Kimber Ultra Carry.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2966 users online. 145 members and 2821 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X