Clear All

• brevard / ex deputy arrested

May 5, 2007

Records show ex-deputy had problems

BY KAUSTUV BASU
    FLORIDA TODAY ADVERTISEMENT

WEB EXTRAS
    Termination letter - Adobe PDF

A former deputy was arrested Thursday in connection with the alleged sexual battery of a 13-year-old girl.

Before being fired in February for making defamatory statements, Carl E. Graves had been disciplined by the Brevard County Sheriff's Office for approaching an undercover officer who posed as a prostitute, visiting Cheater's nightclub in Cocoa Beach while on duty and frequenting bars during working hours.

Graves, 45, allegedly had sexual intercourse with the girl last year in July and August, police said.The girl's mother, who was known to Graves, complained to the sheriff's office in late April, police said. He faces 24 counts of sexual battery.

The former officer who worked on road patrol, the K-9 unit and the south precinct of the sheriff's office was arrested as he left Parrish Health and Fitness Center in Titusville after a workout Thursday.

Graves was fired early this year for making defamatory statements about his colleagues and the sheriff's office, sheriff's spokesman Lt. Andrew Walters said.

"He also lied when he was being investigated about the accusations," he said.

Graves joined the sheriff's office in August 2001.

Over the years, he had been disciplined several times, a review of his personnel file shows.

In 2002, he approached an undercover officer who was posing as a decoy prostitute. In 2005, he was reprimanded for leaving his assigned zone to visit Cheater's nightclub in Cocoa Beach for a "personal errand" while he was at work. Records show that the same year he let Tinio, a police dog, roam unsupervised and act aggressively toward other animals. As a result he was transferred from the K-9 unit to the south precinct in Melbourne.

In 2006, he was suspended for 40 hours for frequenting bars while on duty. He had been spotted at the Lou's Blues Lounge in Indialantic while he was on duty, records show. The same year the Port Canaveral security complained that he did not take enough time to check and secure the cruise terminals.

He received a 40-hour suspension again in January 2007 after a juvenile female alleged that he touched her inappropriately during a traffic stop. He was also cautioned for using profane language.

Graves, who was held in the Brevard County jail on a $840,000 bond, will be transferred to the Seminole County jail for his own safety, Walters said.

"This is standard procedure for current or former law enforcement personnel," he said. "We are pleased that he is behind bars."
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

wow.
    and to think they turned me down for a job.
    "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

i have til oct 2008, then i may do the drop their or start round 2
      with them...round 1 was 83 to 86, we shall see.

Comment

Good ridence to this scumbag... He should have been 10-15'd years ago. Lord only knows how many "victims" he has out there.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

WOW! I gotta ask...... Why wasn't he let go a long time ago?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott941 View Post
            WOW! I gotta ask...... Why wasn't he let go a long time ago?
            My guess? Union.

Comment

actually i do believe they may have got a union or collective bargaining recently, not sure onthe actual dates

Comment

I really hate reading about things like this. I'm not from Florida, nor do I know much about Brevard SO, but I'm sure it's a decent department as are many down there. And I hate it when all it takes is one, "Aww chit!", to wipe out 1,000 "Atta boys!"

Hey ftlaudcop? I see you're with Ft. Lauderdale. Do you still have a Cpt. Diane Faust, on the department? She taught a class I took back in 1991, and wondered if she was still there.

Comment

Originally posted by ftlaudcop View Post
                  actually i do believe they may have got a union or collective bargaining recently, not sure onthe actual dates
                  That's what I'm saying. I'm all for Unions helping us out, however a lot of times they keep people working that shouldn't be.

Comment

well, the union / emploees rights, / managements rights are all a double
                    edge sword , lotta sheriff's offices and police depts in fla on purpose,
                    violate labor laws, on all levels and until someone sqawks about it, or makes
                    employer's comply they run over you.

I stayed for 18 min overtime, and a new promoted Lt was not gonna sign
                    the overtime slip, said he would have me relieved early.....

and then him not knowing my connections to the man with the
                    silver eagles on his coller, ( we worked together as deputies ) ,
                    mr new Lt was made aware of labor law's......

and: mr new Lt , has been on the last chance program at least 3 times
                    since he started with the agency.....put on probation again/ comply or yr fired......so i just shake my head........

Comment

Most of the time it's not what you know it's who you know. If you are a liked person and your buddy works in I.A. or is part of a Professional Standards Commitee you will be OK. Until it you do something really messed up like this.
                      LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

always have wild cards up the sleeve, and keep a low profile and be well liked and thought of as a stand up cop, hate to show yr hand on such trivial
                        stuff, but i want's my money...!!!!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2989 users online. 150 members and 2839 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X