300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets hear your opinion

I would like to hear from you a department where they allow there officers to be cops? What I’m trying to say is there a department not so PC or so strict that the officers are afraid to make a decision without having everything questioned. I'm looking for an aggressive agency? I want to work for an agency that cares about the community, but when S*** hits the fan the game is over. I am also looking for somewhere that starts at least 40k a year. Lets be honest this career field will not get you rich, but it's a shame that in 2007 and individual like myself who has military and a degree can't start out with a decent salary. Florida is not the most expensive place in the U.S but 40k to start is only 1200 a paycheck and that still doesn’t go that far here.

For that, I would look into Tampa PD and Broward SO.
    "the greatest failure is a failure to try."

Comment

Anybody have anything to say about palm beach county sheriffs office?

Comment

Good question Canman. I'd like to know the answers to that as well. How about in SW FL? Well put too.

Comment

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office is a great agency. Unfortunately they're in a hiring freeze until October.

I went through the process with them and was at a stand still. You might want to look into West Palm Beach PD. I believe they offer everything you seek.

Comment

Originally posted by canman07 View Post
            I would like to hear from you a department where they allow there officers to be cops?
            Fort Lauderdale was once a that place but unfortunately it has begun to tighten up things & micromanagement in swiftly moving in. BSO b/c of body shortage will keep you busy but will not pay you what a city will. Pretty much any county agency in South Florida will aloud you to do real police work but will sham you out of your pay check. Once you hit the streets & find out what being an LEO is really about, you will reconsider all the action & start looking quality of work with benefits.

Comment

Might look at St. Lucie County. We have a VERY liberal use of force policy, still allowed to chase, take home cars that you can use off duty, etc... We're still in union negotiations but once those are done starting should hopefully be in the low 40's.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Airforcop View Post
                Might look at St. Lucie County. We have a VERY liberal use of force policy, still allowed to chase, take home cars that you can use off duty, etc... We're still in union negotiations but once those are done starting should hopefully be in the low 40's.
                Is SLCSO still at 8 hour shifts?

Comment

Originally posted by FLPD698 View Post
                  Fort Lauderdale was once a that place but unfortunately it has begun to tighten up things & micromanagement in swiftly moving in. BSO b/c of body shortage will keep you busy but will not pay you what a city will. Pretty much any county agency in South Florida will aloud you to do real police work but will sham you out of your pay check. Once you hit the streets & find out what being an LEO is really about, you will reconsider all the action & start looking quality of work with benefits.
                  exactly....
                  Work harder! Millions on welfare depend on you...

Comment

don't come to b.s.o. , all that yer lookin for ended in jan 1993,
                    when the citizens elected ron cochran.

for the newer guys, the way things are done they sorta got used to,
                    i personally over come and adapt.....

just call me: dep doolittle / dep do-nuttin ,

I go along with their program, and if i get messed with i just put my
                    lawyer on their butt.
                    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Yes, SLSO is still in 8 hr shifts. 5 on 2 off 5 on 3 off.
                      sigpic

Comment

Don’t you just love all of these Salt Dog police officers telling everybody the hard knock life of being a police officer (Trust me I've been in the family for a long time and understand the life of a police officer or deputy sheriff) Do I really need to come to this forum? No, but I believe this forum is a good way to express ideas and knowledge from around the state. Not hearing “junior listen to me hit the streets and life will be different.” Obvious that will have an impact, but this DQ was not to address that. It was to address a decent salary, benefits, and to try and find a great sheriffs or police department which still gives their officers discretion. If you want to go make 28K and 35K go right ahead.. The problem is too many people have told you that you’re never going to get rich. Right but lets just say for general purpose 40 to 100Kor more (For all Ranks) is not asking a lot... Anybody who does research can tell you look at the salary from officer to police chief your right your never going to get rich. However, for somebody to say to start out making 40 to 45K is asking too much.. You’re Crazy! The tax revenue is all relevant to the community and cost of living of your community. Look at Miami Dade 35,874K to start and I understand they have a huge department and the budget only allows for so much. The department size is all relevant to the size and I have traveled up and down this state and I find it hard to believe 40k is hard to ask for (Course there are exceptions i.e Levy County). The problem lies within the county and city commissions. There number one priority is to provide emergency services to their residents and if you want to argue that we can, but certain counties and cities have realized that and we have seen those salaries and benefits increase. Your right every department is political, but if you have been in this career field then you would know different policy and procedures affect the moral and efficiency of the officer’s.

Now lets have an honest discussion on departments that have worked with the county or city to fully compensate their officers and where officers are still allowed to get dirty

Comment

Airforcop nice posting that is the information I am looking for and I would guess many others are to!!!!

Comment

You should have applied to MGPD. Thhey definately seem to have everything you need. Just check out there site. Miami Gardens Police Department

Comment

Like ftlaudcop said

BSO was that agency you are looking for, shoot we were the ones that got that TV show "COPS" the fame it needed in the begining anyway. They start in the low 40's and have overtime galore, retirement and health benefits are unbeatable. However they implemented a complaint form that anyone can just come in and fill out and I.A. investigates every one made. A local tv news station had a story about a year ago to see which departments followed through with complaints made against there officers BSo had no easy way to handle complaints, now its as easy as filling in a form.
                              LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5818 users online. 364 members and 5454 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X