300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on Self-Sponsoring Academy

I’m thinking about self sponsoring the police academy here in Florida. Currently just north of Palm Beach County so interested in south Florida and central Florida academies (TECO, Seminole State, Valencia, IRSC, Palm Beach State, Santa Fe of College of Central Florida) Any advice in regards to admissions, reputation, GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT stats, etc. All positive (HONEST) feedback is appreciated!

Young with no military experience, stable work history, Associates Degree, No driving record, No criminal background either.
    Last edited by Florida87; 06-09-2019, 02:55 PM.

Just apply to FHP and you won't need to apply to any self sponsored academies, they pay you while you go through their acamy.

Comment

• Florida87
      Florida87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not interested in FHP, thanks though!

Some academies have better reputation than others but at the end of the day it really doesn’t matter as long as you pass the state exam and get your certification.

Self sponsored academies do not offer job placement. Also most agency recruiters travel to all academies to recruit for example Orange County SO and OPD send there recruits to Valencia but they still send recruiters to Seminole and Teco as well.

Comment

• Florida87
      Florida87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Tracking. I guess I should’ve asked for gainful employments stats as opposed to job placement (how many grads come out with jobs or obtain employment within at-least a year). & Makes sense, thanks.

Departments all over Florida (and the rest of the country) are hurting for applicants. Unless you’ve already applied to tons of agencies with no luck, I would strongly suggest getting sponsored by any agency that will take you. Like you said, you’re young; Doing 2 years at an agency that will pay your way through the academy and give you experience is worth it even if you decide to leave for a better agency after the 2 years. If you can’t get hired and sponsored by a department in today’s hiring climate, I would be wary of self-sponsoring to begin with.

But like Kiko said, if you do decide to self-sponsor, all that really matters is getting certified regardless of the academy.

Comment

Originally posted by LeoD83 View Post
      Just apply to FHP and you won't need to apply to any self sponsored academies, they pay you while you go through their acamy.
      Why? you're too good for their agency?

Comment

• Florida87
        Florida87 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol, there’s always one. I’d rather pro-actively police communities/residential areas and answer service calls rather than primarily conduct traffic stops and do construction details, it’s a preference LeoD83

Pretty much every agency, especially here in South Florida, is hiring and will put you through the academy (and pay you while you're in the academy). You should be able to apply and get on somewhere unless there's an issue in your background you haven't disclosed. With the need for new recruits as high as it is, it's rare to find someone who can't get on somewhere and get sponsored unless you have an issue that nobody wants to touch. If that's you, then that would be understandable, if it's not, keep applying and you should get on somewhere and they'll put you through.

Comment

Will agencies sponsor (pay for the academy and hire you on with a salary) out of state candidates? Seems like a silly question but I know colleges have different tuition rates for out of state (non-resident) students. In order to get the in-state tiition, you have to prove residency etc... Do colleges / academies charge agencies non-resident rates, and if so are agencies willing to foot the higher/increased tuition cost?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9829 users online. 469 members and 9360 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X