Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions about FHP

I have a few questions regarding FHP:

1. Do they still have a vast shortage in troopers?

2. If so, is the Panhandle of Florida understaffed?

3. What is the likelihood then of being assigned to the Panhandle versus down south?

4. Is competition fierce with FHP? How will a guy with two bachelor degrees in business (accounting and finance) and some work experience compete compared to others with possible prior LE experience or prior military?

My girlfriend might be attending FSU for law school (will become my fiancé when she is in law school) and we have decided to stay there if that is where she ends up. I'm just trying to get a full picture on the situation with FHP to better understand what I am looking at. I've done a lot of reading up on the hiring process and have read that they have been understaffed in the past. I just want to know what their current situation is. I will be applying in about a year.

FHP is always hiring, so to answer your question, yes they have a shortage. The likelyhood of you getting assigned to the panhandle depends on the need of troopers to certain areas. I believe they give you 3 counties to choose from to be assigned. They will pick the guy with Military and LE experience before the guy with the degree, but it does help from everyone else.

If you don't have any experience then be prepared to spend 6 months at their academy in Havana, FL.

Comment

• JediWarrior
      JediWarrior commented
      Editing a comment
      Havana, Fl is in the panhandle btw

Does FHP still have big morale problems? I was told by a current trooper to steer clear.

Comment

It’s really what you make of it. You have tremendous freedom when it comes to patrolling, you can do as many traffic stops as your heart desires (as long as you don’t have traffic crashes to respond to). But that’s really it. Some areas of Florida will have your typical domestics that start out on the highway. The pay isn’t the best depending on where you go. But they have details that you can do that will make up for it. They have all the technology you need to do the job plus radar and laser. Just depends on what you want.

Comment

As far as benefits, what does the average Trooper pay for medical benefits Ie: Employee only ?
        Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sydney J. Harris

Comment

From what I have read, there is a morale problem. Like someone said before, its what you make of it. To me if its what you want to do, you will be able to work past most of the issues. As in any job make your own opinion, do you time and decide then if you need to move on. When I worked for the State of Texas the brass always told me to learn everything you can and then promote. I think a lot of people surround themselves with other negative attitudes and start drinking the Kool Aid. Just my opinion from what I have seen. I do not work for FHP so this is just a generalization.

Comment

I have a lot of respect for Troopers. If you want to work for FHP then go do it. Every agency is short, but yes, they are very short. FHP has good equipment, but the problem is that they are paid very low. Most young Troopers who get on do it for the experience then move on to other agencies to make more money. Heck, there were two Troopers at my department yesterday doing their Chief's interview trying to come over. Unfortunately that is the nature of the beast. If you have your heart set on it, then go for it, they always are in need of people. Best of luck to you.

Comment

• L3o1112
              L3o1112 commented
              Editing a comment
              What do you mean there were two troopers at your department interviewing with chief , they don’t have to redo academy?

Fhp pay is like 40k right?

Comment

Yes, unfortunately FHP and basically all other State agencies are paid very low. To answer your previous question, once you're FL certified you don't need to do an academy again. You can apply anywhere in the State. Same thing if you are certified from another State. You don't need to do another academy to become FL certified. You go through the EOT comparative compliance course which is 1-2 weeks, depending on where you take it, then you take and pass the State Exam and you're FL certified.

Comment

Once you are Florida certified as law enforcement office you do not need to do the academy again unless you fail to get hired within I think 4 years of your graduation date from the academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5446 users online. 370 members and 5076 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X