300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral Boards coming up

I was wondering if someone could give me some tips for preparing myself for an oral board. I know this is nothing exciting but would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Who are you testing for?

Comment

Be honest. They will mostly ask you stuff from your application. The last thing you want to do is get caught in a lie at an oral board. Also, dress accordingly(suit and tie). Try to realx, speak professionally, and be yourself. The brass who conduct the oral boards know you will be a little nervous so just try to be as relaxed as possible.

Comment

I remember thinking the oral exam was going to be hard, but it was sooo easy. Just be yourself, convince yourself you are the best applicant out there and that you have already passed the interview and you will exude this confidence!

And lastly, don't forget the interviewers are people too who have to go home and deal with whatever issues they have just like you,
        "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

i make lots of light jokes when the timing is right and draw off personal experience rather than book answers.
          most oral board interviewers like that because it shows personality and character.

lastly, i attempt to make eye contact with everyone even if say the person far right asks the question. i do this for evey answer i give, to show i do not have tunnel vision.
          "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

Originally posted by LCPLPunk View Post
            I remember thinking the oral exam was going to be hard, but it was sooo easy. Just be yourself, convince yourself you are the best applicant out there and that you have already p***ed the interview and you will exude this confidence!

And lastly, don't forget the interviewers are people too who have to go home and deal with whatever issues they have just like you,

Best advice that there is. Just dont be arrogant either. Just like LCPL said, convince yourself your the best they have applying for the position and you'll relax tremodously!!!. Good Luck!!!!. BTW who are you interviewing for??.
            Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

Comment

Just be prepared to answer the famous question of "tell us about yourself"and "why do you want to be police officer / deputy."

I can almost guarantee they will both be asked first.

You also have to adjsut your demeanor to match that of the board. My first interview with an agency was like a firing line and very serious. The second place i interviewed with was great, as soon as i told them i was from Jersey the jersey jokes started rolling and it was the most relaxed interview i could have ever had. They hired me and ieventhe Chief calls me Jersey and always asks me what exit im from.

Comment

I had orals with 3 different departments. The first was like NJ said it was a firing line they drilled you on everything on my application and were trying to get me in a confrontation. The second one was a little easier. Then the third was simple. They will also ask some questions like if you were on the job. For example: You go to a crime scene and your partner takes a pack of gum from the counter of the store that was robbed, what would you do? Then depending on how you answer it they will try to get you to change your answer. Happened with me in one of mine, and they got mad at me for the answer and I was called names by the gentlemen asking the question. So like NJ said all of mine were different.
                Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
                Proversb 3:5

Comment

Italyn is right, they will ask you a question like the one he mentioned about stealing a pack of gum. Answer it this way. "I would remind my partner that it against the law to take something that is not yours, no matter how inexpensive the item is. Then I would notify my supervisor to let him know of my partners infraction." or something like that.

Comment

You guys are giving me a heads up on what's going to happen. I appreciate it.

I have my oral tomorrow and everyone's input is really going to help me out. I feel a lot more comfortable on what may happen. Again thank you and if you wish to add anything else please feel free.

Comment

Good Luck Tommorow!!!

Comment

Good luck sir.
                        WadsonF 10-4's the above statement.

Comment

Just wanted to say thank you to all that gave me an insight to what I could expect. Everything went well this morning. Again thank you.

Comment

Congrats!! Keep us posted on the rest of your progress.

Comment

also, if you pass the interview.
                              take down your myspace, or change the name the account is under.

if you haven't heard or aren't familiar.

edit;
                              i should have said, it's one of the first things a background check on the net.
                              myspace and google namechecks are common.
                              Last edited by dogma vs karma; 04-26-2007, 11:03 PM.
                              "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4073 users online. 272 members and 3801 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X