300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some honest opinions...

I was reading the thread by riz, where he had a lot of tickets and everyone responded that he wouldnt get hired..
    My boyfriend is DESPERATELY trying to get on somewhere in SE FL (we live in NJ) If I give all the honest info, can some LEOs let me know what you think his chances are??
    Pros: 81 college credits, in Marine Corps, combat veteran, 5+years of excellent work history. he is 23.
    Cons: ok, he has 6 misdemeanors. 3 of which from juvenile, and the other 3 when he was 18, or 5 years ago. all really tiny infractions like criminal mischief.he also had 2 traffic violations (in nj if you get 2 or more tickets between 17 and 18, your liscense gets suspended for 90 days as well)

I know the cons are really huge, but this was all 5+years ago. Do you think they will see all this and then see that it was awhile ago, and since then hes been a MARINE and a Veteran and obviously switched his life around? Or will they look just at his record and laugh?
    He doesnt even know I am writing this, but like I said, its his dream job and sometimes when I look at his record I get nervous for him. He has a 92 on the cjbat and always gets 1st or 2nd on his pat's. Yet, he was already turned down by FHP for arrest history. He is currently applying to like every town in PB and Broward, including Sheriffs. Ok thank youuuu!!!!!

Tell him to not give up! He may have some background issues but i'm sure the good stuff will be weighed in too. If he isn't deadset on working in a certain area he should look into all the other FL agencies, there are alot of 'em!
    "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

His chances would be greatly improves if he finished his college and got a 4 year degree to go along with the military.

Comment

Options:
        1) U.S. Border Patrol (Unlikely to get a S.Fla assignment)
        2) Get Degree.
        3) Be a Reserve / Auxiliary Officer while getting Degree.
        4) Hope for a "Jar Head" recruiters and B.I.'s

Good Luck To You Both,

Thek9
        Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
        Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

Tell him not to limit his options. Apply everywhere and see what come up. Most agencies only require 7 years of good standing citizenship and Drivers licsences.
          LET IT RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by C.I.HOG
            Tell him not to limit his options. Apply everywhere and see what come up. Most agencies only require 7 years of good standing citizenship and Drivers licsences.
            I agree, plus the old saying time heals everything applies here as well. Apply everywhere down here and if no one hires him then work on being a good citizen. No tickets and/or arrests, get degree, join reserves if possible. anything that will better prove that he has turned his life around. Good luck!

Comment

Thank you all so much for your honest input! He will definitely always keep trying, even if he has to submit applications in over and over! He just sent 3 out this week to Broward SO and 2 towns in PB AND BRoward counties. Thank you again!!

Comment

have him try medium and smaller agencies too.
                i've found a lot of places do not like the intensity that the military vets bring when they enter LEO.
                "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

What do you mean the 'intensity'?
                  "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Originally posted by flbound
                    Thank you all so much for your honest input! He will definitely always keep trying, even if he has to submit applications in over and over! He just sent 3 out this week to Broward SO and 2 towns in PB AND BRoward counties. Thank you again!!
                    Finally, someone who can relate directly to my PAIN! The pain, it's agonizing!

Back on topic...

BSO goes back seven years on driving history, chances are highly unlikely and they make NO EXCEPTIONS. believe me, I tried like hell with that dept considering it was my first choice. Ft Lauderdale goes back three years for auto DQ's and he might have a good chance of getting in there...

The applications are a royal pain, considering they're always 30+ pages.

Can you do me a favor though? Considering your BF and I have similar issues with being accepted, could you notify me if he gets accepted somewhere?

Comment

Why does no one ever consider Orange County Sheriff or Seminole County?

Both are great agencies and they are looking for Deputies...

Comment

Seminole County seems somewhat promising. Pay is not so great, but I am not familiar with the cost of living in that area. If it's anything like Broward county, I'll be counting my pennies...

Again, I'm open for AAAAANY ideas and I thank you for pointing out Seminole county!

Edit: Orange county does not seem to be hiring for non-certified...
                        Last edited by riz; 04-24-2007, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by riz
                          Seminole County seems somewhat promising. Pay is not so great, but I am not familiar with the cost of living in that area. If it's anything like Broward county, I'll be counting my pennies...

Again, I'm open for AAAAANY ideas and I thank you for pointing out Seminole county!

Edit: Orange county does not seem to be hiring for non-certified...
                          Seminole County's pay is average for the area at $34,000, and one of the few departments in the area that will sponsor you to the academy (and pretty much the only one that DOES sponsor but WON'T take 6 months - 1 year to get hired).

Comment

StudChris

it really emphasizes on "clean driving record"

I'm going to try and contact a BI tomorrow and speak with them. I'll keep everyone posted on my findings...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4268 users online. 263 members and 4005 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X