Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Department of Transportation: Office of Motor Carrier Compliance

Good day, everyone!

Hello, I'm Philosophy Nerd; long time reader, first time poster! Well, right now I am in college doing a double-major in Criminal Justice/Philosohpy. After I receive my degrees, I would like to move into the field of law enforcement here in the State of Florida. I'm interested in applying with departments that have the FRS(Florida Retirement System). The FDOT: MCC caught my eye, and I was wonderign if anyone on here has information on this agency, regarding pay, benefits, duties and responsibilities, etc. Thank you for your help!
    "A man is a fool if he tries to pet the dog that once bit him."- Cheif William Gillespie

Pay is probably amongst the lowest in the state for state LEO's, only like 35k for South florida and like 32k for north. No pay raises except Cost of living.. definately not worth the salary for your education.

plus its all traffic which is fun, but that doesnt overcome the pay prob.

Comment

Most sheriff offices are on the FRS. Also there is a lot more opportunity there. And you can move to a specialized unit if you get board with traffic and domestics.

Comment

Yes, I've been told by some law enforcement personnel about the fact that all sheriff's offices in Florida, and certain municipalities have the FRS. I have been researching for depts. that do have it, such as MDPD, Sunny Isles Beach, and many more. Also, the specialized units route is what I definetely plan on taking up in the future. I was looking at the FDOT: MCC as a backup plan just in case for any reason, I don't get picked up by any other department. Also, I have a few more questions. Does MCC require swimming in the academy? My swimming skills are okay, but could be better. And how is their academy environment? Is it strenuous like the FHP academy and any other academy in the state? (I.E. Constant running, pushups, etc). Thanks!
        "A man is a fool if he tries to pet the dog that once bit him."- Cheif William Gillespie

Comment

plus it's like 1 year for the process plus the 20+ week academy.
          good luck.
          "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

Originally posted by dogma vs karma
            plus it's like 1 year for the process plus the 20+ week academy.
            good luck.
            Yeah 29 week full time live in for DOT (same as FHP, FWC, and the such).

Comment

How in depth is the hiring process since you do evrything in one day. Majority of pyschs take about 4-5 hours to complete. Imagine what time you'll be done if they have like 10-15 applicants.

Comment

Ohhhh....I see. I asked about the academy because I remember seeing a picture of an academy class from MCC that only had 6 people in it. But thanks guys for all your help! And does the process really takes a year? Also, where does all the testing take place, and how often would I have to travel up there?

Comment

Originally posted by PhilosophyNerd
                  Ohhhh....I see. I asked about the academy because I remember seeing a picture of an academy class from MCC that only had 6 people in it. But thanks guys for all your help! And does the process really takes a year? Also, where does all the testing take place, and how often would I have to travel up there?

Everything takes place in Havana, FL couple miles fromm Tallahassee. I went up there on March 17th to take the PAT, I passed, I sent out my application packet to them. Havent heard from them for about a week. Last I spoke with them they said they have a July academy coming up, hopefully I pass everything. BTW, you do all the testing in one day. Pysch, vision, medical, and oral.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Sm0kin3053
                    Everything takes place in Havana, FL couple miles fromm Tallahassee. I went up there on March 17th to take the PAT, I passed, I sent out my application packet to them. Havent heard from them for about a week. Last I spoke with them they said they have a July academy coming up, hopefully I pass everything. BTW, you do all the testing in one day. Pysch, vision, medical, and oral.

Hope this helps.
                    They told me they have the PAT coming up June 9th so i have to fly down there then. Hows the PAT like?

FBAT- Passed
                    PAT- Passed
                    Conditional Offer- June-21-2007
                    Polygraph- Pending Results
                    Background- N/A
                    Psycholgical- N/A
                    Medical/Visual- N/A
                    Oral Interview- N/A

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonF
                      They told me they have the PAT coming up June 9th so i have to fly down there then. Hows the PAT like?
                      Not too difficult. Get out of the car, a little run, a little hope, a couple more hops, a little crawl, a big dummy drag, everything in reverse, and that's it. You'll be alright.

Comment

Originally posted by StudChris
                        Not too difficult. Get out of the car, a little run, a little hope, a couple more hops, a little crawl, a big dummy drag, everything in reverse, and that's it. You'll be alright.
                        So no Swiming?

FBAT- Passed
                        PAT- Passed
                        Background- N/A
                        Psycholgical- N/A
                        Medical/Visual- N/A
                        Oral Interview- N/A

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonF
                          So no Swiming?
                          There's no swimming for the state mandated PAT to get into the academy. Some departments require swimming tests but I highly doubt that DOT does.

Comment

There's no swimming for the state mandated PAT to get into the academy. Some departments require swimming tests but I highly doubt that DOT does.
                            Allright Chris thanks lets see how it goes when the time comes.............

FBAT- Passed
                            PAT- Passed
                            Background- N/A
                            Psycholgical- N/A
                            Medical/Visual- N/A
                            Oral Interview- N/A

Comment

Yay....no swimming!

Well, glad to hear that the PAT doesn't have a swimming section. Can anyone give me some tips, or recommend places that can help me improve my swimming skills. It's the only thing that is really holding me back from immediately wanting to join an academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6248 users online. 344 members and 5904 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X