300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any insight on the PAT?
    Last edited by bzambo; 01-03-2019, 08:05 AM.

Comment

the PAT is fairly straightforward and there is a YouTube video you can find that explains the exact order and process of which you need to go through.

the swimming component is no longer timed, it is simply a hundred and fifty yards nonstop. Meaning no touching the sides no touching Lane ropes no touching the bottom. But you can do it at any pace you want

Comment

Hi I just have a quick question what are the odd of getting in the first time around? And also does it help if you get a ride along scheduled

Comment

• bzambo
          bzambo commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure about the odds, but getting the ride along definitely shows that you are interested so I would say its helps

Hello all, looking forward to the PAT in Tampa, first let me say thanks to those taking the time to answer our questions, i have a few myself.
        my questions are as followed:
        whats the drop out rate for the academy?
        What was the interview like for you?
        ​​​​​​ How has field training been for you after graduation?

Thanks so much! Ive really fallen in love with the Game Warden profession.

Comment

To the previous post, you ask some good questions but also ones that may or may not necessarily be as relevant as you think. The academy is aware that there may be a 10% washout rate but that is never the goal. They want to see everybody succeed 100%. So it is up to the individuals drive and motivation to continue to succeed. If you show the effort the staff at the Academy are they are to make sure you do your best.

As for the interview process there is a ton of stuff that you can find online. basically it's what's they refer to as a panel interview meaning that there will be several people with a list of questions and you will be sitting in what is to come the hot seat :-) and you just have to be straightforward and honest answer the questions how you think are appropriate not how you think they want you to answer them. They want you to be as true to yourself as possible but in preparations for the interview I would recommend reviewing the FWC website, it's mission goals, an some aspects of current trends for whywFWCmight be in the news.

The field training once you get out of the academy is an extension of the academy. It is a minimum of 14 weeks where are you do one-on-one ride-alongs and get out in the field hnds-on experience.

Comment

• Tjwashere1
            Tjwashere1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you very much, i appreciate it.

I am getting nervous about the Pat. I’m not a very strong swimmer and just got done at the local pool. I can only go two days a week because of my work schedule and 150 yards kills me. I literally feel like I’m dying afterwards. Any advice?

Comment

The swim test is not timed so know that you don't have to race. There are different levels of strengths and not everybody is a great swimmer but through the academy you will get more practice.

Comment

• Niles92
              Niles92 commented
              Editing a comment
              When you were in the academy, was there anyone from out of state? I'm from out of state and I'm wondering if they shy away from out of state applicant's

• BEVANS1985
              BEVANS1985 commented
              Editing a comment
              Niles I talked to Rothy before and he said that there were two people in his academy one from Montana II think and one from New Jersey. I am also from out of state and personally I think it would show ambition because we are dedicating a lot more time amd money for these trips down there and home. Just my $.02

Passed the PAT today, Hopefully i get an interview in March!

Comment

• KEYLEO22
              KEYLEO22 commented
              Editing a comment
              Did they let u know how long it was going to take?

• Tjwashere1
              Tjwashere1 commented
              Editing a comment
              They said expect the interview ls in march

Turns out there was a PAT going less than a mile from the house this past weekend in the Tampa area.

Comment

• Tjwashere1
              Tjwashere1 commented
              Editing a comment
              It was a nice 2 1/2 hour drive for me lol

• BEVANS1985
              BEVANS1985 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya I came down from Arkansas to take the test in Tampa this weekend. Just got home today.

• Tjwashere1
              Tjwashere1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow lol what a trip man. Good luck brother!

I'm guessing having a good PAT time will help your chances of getting a job?

Comment

• Tjwashere1
              Tjwashere1 commented
              Editing a comment
              I wouldn't say necessarily, im sure your skills and experience pay a much heavier weight in the factor. The PAT might be deal breakers when applicants are close in hiring score. These are my assumptions.

• BEVANS1985
              BEVANS1985 commented
              Editing a comment
              I asked my recruiter that yesterday and it is a pass fail and has no weight in the selection aspect. We will be graded on a point based system from here on out.

That's what I figured but not sure how it would work out for those of us who are not current or former law enforcement therefore have no experience to go off of

Comment

Well I think personally if you pushed yourself during the test and it showed. The officers might keep that in mind when it comes to the interviews. Yes, Niles you might be right with people who are current or former law enforcement to show experience. We all just need to to put our best selves our there and go from there. I know its hard to get picked up on your first application. I know plenty of officers who applied more then once before they were hired.

Comment

• Niles92
                Niles92 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah that's what I figured, this is my first time applying as I am only 20

Have you guys found out how many applicants are in the pool and how many are being hired out of our pool? If not illI ask and share here.

Comment

• Tjwashere1
                Tjwashere1 commented
                Editing a comment
                He said 700 applicants were scheduled to do the PAT. That's all he could tell me. But i feel a majority prob didn't come to it or failed. 700 is crazy though i hope it was a typo lol

• Niles92
                Niles92 commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow 700 is crazy, I was thinking they didn't get as many applicants as they wanted since they extended the application deadline

• Tjwashere1
                Tjwashere1 commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe its a scare tactic there's just no way, i would've saw a lot more people at the PAT witg that number lol

• SilvaJ
                SilvaJ commented
                Editing a comment
                You have to think there are 2 more days in Jacksonville for people to take the PAT test.

How many times have you all applied and gone thru this process?

Comment

This is my first application so I'm hopeful that ill get picked up but I understand if I don't.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6759 users online. 254 members and 6505 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X