300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DQ because of Bankruptcy

Today I had my orientation at MDPD and when the BI called my name she said that she did not have good news.
    Because I have filed for bankruptcy 5 years ago I could not go on with the process, I was DQ.
    She suggested that I wait for 2 more years and reapply.
    I did not have a choice back in 2002 when I filed for bankruptcy, I had a series of bad advises which led me to that.
    Well now I am not sure what am I going to do next, MDPD was a dream that I had for almost 10 years.
    Anyway, good luck guys and gals on your processes.

There are a ton of agencies in Florida. Don't let this keep you down!

Comment

You only lose when you stop trying, don't give up!
      "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

either wait the 2 years or self sponsor. a bankrupcy definately isn't a deal breaker, but the longer you wait the better. i didnt have a bankrupcy but my credit definately wasn't the best but an agency finally took a chance on me here. there are plenty of other agencies that will take self sponsor applicants down there that are hurting just as bad... at least so my research proved.

Comment

One of the best courses i ever took when in college was a Law Enforcemebt Administration class and the instructor was a retired chief of police. He was awesome. There was no theories, or models, he never sugar coated anything, he taught everything based on how it is and was in the real world. Probably the best class i ever took.

He went over the real world of hiring practices. He said that a Bankruptcy would DQ you within the first 5 year or so, but after that if you show that your back on track and financially responsible it wont effect you being hired at all. He said the reason is that bankruptcy happens for many reasons, most of the time its bad judgement or a bad situation in life and thne you recover, but they won't take the chance and hire you until you prove your repsonsible again, because they dont want you on the job in need of major money and doing things that will shame yourself or the department.

Comment

Originally posted by Muaitai
            Because I have filed for bankruptcy 5 years ago I could not go on with the process, I was DQ.
            They need to give you a better reason than that. It is unlawful for them to not hire because of bankruptcy. You are protected from any form of discrimination by the Bankruptcy Act. And they waited until orientation to tell you that you were DQ'ed? If you want to work there, I would push on them a little.

Comment

You're full of crap. Look at any number of agencies around this country that will tell you, poor financial responsibility IS a reason not to be hired. Look at the LAPD. They have every right to kick someone because of filing bankruptcy.

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog
                They need to give you a better reason than that. It is unlawful for them to not hire because of bankruptcy. You are protected from any form of discrimination by the Bankruptcy Act. And they waited until orientation to tell you that you were DQ'ed? If you want to work there, I would push on them a little.
                I spoke with a BI before my MDPD orientation, which was probably the same one you went to. I went over a series of things before I took off from work to get my hopes up. They got back to me very quickly and I knew they didn't review all of the paperwork I sent them.

I understand your frustration as I'm in a bind myself with my driving history. MDPD DQ'd me as well. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog

+100 to what he said. No, Federal,State or local agency can discriminate you solely based on your bankruptcy. Its a federal protection law. There have been cases of agencies not LE but other agencies that have been successfully sued because they discriminated applicants because soley on their bankruptcy. If this is truly what you want like Luckydog said I would push the issue and give them a print out of the Bankruptcy law. If they still want to contend that, go to a lawyer. You can google it pretty easy online its not hard to upload it and print it out. Also, you might want to consider going federal because the agency I got my job offer for didnt give two hoots about my BK.

I remember a friend of mine got turned down because of his BK but it wasnt a LE agency it was for a retail management position. They told him because of his BK he wouldnt qualify. He printed out the BK law and presented it to them. They gave him the job a week later.
                  Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

Comment

Originally posted by MidCareer
                    You're full of crap. Look at any number of agencies around this country that will tell you, poor financial responsibility IS a reason not to be hired. Look at the LAPD. They have every right to kick someone because of filing bankruptcy.

They can turn you down if you have poor financial responsiblity. However, filing for BK isnt considered a bad thing all the time. Some individuals like myself HAD to file for BK. The federal court ruled that it is against the law to discriminate an applicant JUST because of a BK. Its a law and its covered under BK protection law act. Many people file for BK because they just couldnt cover their expenses like medical bills which is the number one reason why BK is filed in the first place. Again, NO, FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL agency can discriminate SOLEY because of a BK in an applicants record. Its against the law.
                    Law Enforcement is a career like none other. You face challenges everyday and you get rewarded in the sametime. Thats why LE work is the best career an individual can ever choose. - Me

Comment

Originally posted by riz
                      I spoke with a BI before my MDPD orientation, which was probably the same one you went to. I went over a series of things before I took off from work to get my hopes up. They got back to me very quickly and I knew they didn't review all of the paperwork I sent them.

I understand your frustration as I'm in a bind myself with my driving history. MDPD DQ'd me as well. Good luck!

I really dont know your particular situation. I'am going to say though however is that MDPD needs to change how they hire people. They need an overhaul of their hiring procedures and get an HR expert in there to fix that mess. I have seen too many good people who I know for a fact, would of been great officers get turned down for stupid reasons. I also know some of those same people got hired on with other agencies and are ten times better than some officers I have seen who work with MDPD. Don't give up RIZ. Apply,apply and apply somemore and eventually you will get in somewhere. Good luck man!!!!.

Comment

Keep trying with other agencies. Don't let this get you down. I have found that if you get hired by another agency and spend a couple of years, it makes it easier to get to your goal department.

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Miami-Dade Police

Originally posted by NavCop22
                          I really dont know your particular situation. I'am going to say though however is that MDPD needs to change how they hire people. They need an overhaul of their hiring procedures and get an HR expert in there to fix that mess. I have seen too many good people who I know for a fact, would of been great officers get turned down for stupid reasons. I also know some of those same people got hired on with other agencies and are ten times better than some officers I have seen who work with MDPD. Don't give up RIZ. Apply,apply and apply somemore and eventually you will get in somewhere. Good luck man!!!!.
                          NavCop22 is 100% right about the almighty Miami-Dade Police Department. They are always cring about they need officers, they DQ good people for stupid little crap in their background. They need to get rid of that commander that runs the personnel management bureau. He has his head up; you know what.
                          sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

Hi guys, thank you all so much for the replies.
                            I really had no choice when I filed for bankruptcy, my wife had lost her job and was unemployed for six months, two small children and the bills were piling up. Also a bad advice helped me to take this decision.
                            I have kept my credit in a very good shape, I provided 10 years of employment references, all very good, and all documents necessary for the application and yes they waited until the orientation to tell me that, should I've known this before maybe I would not wait three months to get to this point, I would have applied in other agency.
                            The BI said I would get a letter within 4 weeks saying that I was disqualified on the background check but not specifically said it would say because of my BK, can I appeal that? Should I send the BK law? Would it make them mad and never give me another chance?
                            Last edited by Muaitai; 04-12-2007, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muaitai
                              Hi guys, thank you all so much for the replies.
                              I really had no choice when I filed for bankruptcy, my wife had lost her job and was unemployed for six months, two small children and the bills were piling up. Also a bad advice helped me to take this decision.
                              I have kept my credit in a very good shape, I provided 10 years of employment references, all very good, and all documents necessary for the application and yes they waited until the orientation to tell me that, should I've known this before maybe I would not wait three months to get to this point, I would have applied in other agency.
                              The BI said I would get a letter within 4 weeks saying that I was disqualified on the background check but not specifically said it would say because of my BK, can I appeal that? Should I send the BK law? Would it make them mad and never give me another chance?

I would ask for an appointment to meet them in person and show them in PERSON about that. They cant DQ you SOLEY because of your BK. Especially, for the reason why you filed for it in the first place. If at that point nothing is done then I would consult with a lawyer. Discriminating SOLEY because of a BK is against the law.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6417 users online. 347 members and 6070 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X