300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ft lauderdale cop - arrested

A Fort Lauderdale police officer has been charged with vehicular homicide, accused of driving at least 39 mph over the speed limit when his cruiser hit and killed a pedestrian.

Alexander Griss, 23, turned himself in to the Broward County Jail on Monday, but was out by early evening after posting a $2,500 bond. He could face up to 15 years in prison if he's convicted of causing the June 19 collision at South Federal Highway and Southeast 21st Street.

LocalLinks

Authorities say Griss was driving at least 79 mph, almost double the 40 mph speed limit, when his Ford Crown Victoria slammed into Althea Tobias McKay, 39, after she stepped off a curb. McKay, of Lauderdale Lakes, was thrown 102 feet and pronounced dead at the scene.

Fort Lauderdale police have said Griss was about to go off duty and was not responding to an emergency call.

McKay's daughter, Alexandria Brown, said Tuesday she's pleased Griss is being held accountable for the crash, but it doesn't fill the hole in her life ripped open by her mother's death.

"I would like to see [Griss] do the whole 15 years. ... There's no punishment strong enough to bring back my mom," said Brown, 21, McKay's only child.

Griss' attorney, Michael Dutko, said the fact the crash investigation took 10 months could indicate there are questions involving the science the state is relying on to build its case. A search warrant indicates that data from computer systems in the patrol car show Griss was traveling around 90 mph at the time of the crash.

There have been some questions about the reliability of such computer systems to establish speed and location, Dutko said.

"In the end, it's our hope and expectation that we're going to achieve a fair and just resolution to what really is a tragic accident," he said.

Griss had been on the job for less than a year when the crash happened. The rookie officer has been on paid administrative leave since, Dutko said.

McKay's family has hired lawyers and filed a claim against the Fort Lauderdale Police Department.

Marjorie Tobias, McKay's mother, said she knows that Griss has family -- and they are suffering too -- but he needs to take responsibility for his actions. Even though it's been months since the crash, she still has difficulty accepting her daughter is gone.

"I keep hoping the doorbell is going to ring and it's her."
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

That sucks, i also think the deceased should be held accountable for walking infront of traffic. cause if she had looked before she crossed she most likely would have saw the car. darwin strikes again.

Comment

seen the booking photo of the deceased,

not a pretty site, maybe ' self employed' type.

Comment

Yeah I guess we could go in circles on this one! I guess if he had been going the allowed speed, he would've had enough time to re-act to the pedestrian. Had the pedestrian been using proper crosswalks this wouldn’t had happened. The what ifs are always there for the jury to examine.

Comment

Originally posted by soflacop
          That sucks, i also think the deceased should be held accountable for walking infront of traffic. cause if she had looked before she crossed she most likely would have saw the car. darwin strikes again.
          2nd.......

Comment

SHAME ON YOU ALL FOR PUTTING BLAME ON THIS VICTIM. How about the freaking cop's duty to uphold the law and not BREAK it by driving double to speed limit 'cause he's getting off-duty. You people make me sick. I hope this damn rookie gets every day of the maximum 15 years. SCREW HIM!

Comment

Just because you carry a freakin badge doesn't make you above the law. Police officer should set example. How can you pull someone over for speeding when the cops are also doing the same thing. That officer deserve prison time.

Comment

Yeah I guess we could go in circles on this one! I guess if he had been going the allowed speed, he would've had enough time to re-act to the pedestrian. Had the pedestrian been using proper crosswalks this wouldn’t had happened. The what ifs are always there for the jury to examine.
                Ditto. Definitely a difficult and very sad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by MidCareer
                  SHAME ON YOU ALL FOR PUTTING BLAME ON THIS VICTIM. How about the freaking cop's duty to uphold the law and not BREAK it by driving double to speed limit 'cause he's getting off-duty. You people make me sick. I hope this damn rookie gets every day of the maximum 15 years. SCREW HIM!
                  You make me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by tp2165
                    You make me laugh.
                    Yeah, and I suppose you're one of those people that think cops can do no wrong right? You know, even when a jury finds them guilty of wrong doing, you're the one that says, they were screwed, right? Get real. This boot was in the wrong and anyone that says different is in dreamland.

Comment

Originally posted by MidCareer
                      Yeah, and I suppose you're one of those people that think cops can do no wrong right? You know, even when a jury finds them guilty of wrong doing, you're the one that says, they were screwed, right? Get real. This boot was in the wrong and anyone that says different is in dreamland.
                      Now I am really laughing.

Comment

if the cop, is found guilty by a jury of his peer's, which is going to be
                        hard to find in south fla, due to:

influx of illegal aliens
                        small pool of non convicted felons for jury pool
                        small percentage of stand up citizens

punishment should be:

counseling program, meditation, and reflection

no more incarceration than: typical gold toothed rapper wannabee
                        would get, and no civil restitution other than what the victim would have
                        made based on w-2 forms averaged out for the last 5 years, and then
                        the average for a chicken head on the street to die via:
                        the average age before death due to life style choice:

drug overdose
                        disease
                        being the victim of a murder

if their's a problem with that, please let me know...!!!!!!!!!!!

I support the fort lauderdale police and the great job they do,
                        as i am a 21 year city resident

I support the deputy sheriff's of broward county for the great job in
                        keeping the entire county secure from the lawlessness that has prevailed
                        in modern society.

Comment

Alex Griss was wrong he was speeding without his emergency lights on. I've met him he came off as a fine young man. His carrier is over because of a couple of reasons as I mentioned above and because a poor soul with mental problems walked in front of his cruiser. One life over, One career over. It would be travesty for Griss to spend another minute incarcerated. I sure he'll cary a strong message doing community service. It's a waste, it's a Shame.

T-Out
                          Le gra'sta De' a Theim.
                          Galic: By The Grace Of God Go I.

Comment

MidCareer: this guy was wrong for speeding, but is the deceased not wrong for jaywalking and walking out infront of a moving vehicle?

A miami-dade officer hit & killed a crack head a few years back who walked infront of her cruiser while she was doing 90 in a 45. She got 5 years for it, and after about 2 years of appeals and some time in prison her conviction was overturned. What occured was a tragedy, some crack head who according to the coroner was high on illegal drugs walks into the street and gets hit by speeding car. I think the blame is equal if not more so on the deceased for walking infront of a moving vehicle cause it is not like cars are a new thing people know what happens when you run into traffic especially in south florida where everyone drives bad.

Comment

Does anyone have anymore information about the incident? Was he going to a call at all? From what I know (which isn't much) there are alot of calls out there, most of which aren't emergency, could he perhaps have been going to one of the more urgent ones?

In my opinion though, unless it's an emergency, there isn't any reason to be doing 90mph. As far as double the speed limit that's a crappy excuse. If i'm in a 25, or 35mph zone, u can be darn sure i'll be going as fast as i can to get to an emergency.
                              "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5426 users online. 319 members and 5107 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X