300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job terminations and applications

Hello everyone, I have been applying to agencies all around south Florida and recently had a interview with Pembroke Pines PD. I went to the interview fairly optimistic that nothing should come up as surprise because I was completely transparent with everything on my application. So when I finally got called to the back I was told that having 2 previous terminations (one in 05/2015 and the other in 09/2017) would disqualify me. I was told that whoever looked over my application probably didn't do a thorough job or they wouldn't have called me. I withdrew my app to avoid a DQ. So my question is will I get the same result every time I apply down here? Before my driving record held me back, but now it's been long enough to where it's not an issuie. Is there any hope for me? Or will I just keep getting the same result?

First of all why would you think that withdrawing before you are DQ'ed would be any different than if you proceeded and were DQ'ed? Withdrawing from the process does not negate the reason(s) you would be DQ'ed, in fact a good number agencies will indicate that you had disqualifiers, but withdrew (meaning they indicate withdrew in lieu of DQ). So far as your terminations go, they are likely going to be a problem for most agencies. I would suggest you maintain steady employment for 3-5 years (meaning don't jump jobs and avoid being fired) then give it another shot.

Comment

• Marx9954
      Marx9954 commented
      Editing a comment
      the background investigator told me to just withdraw the app. He said when ever someone else asks why did I not go through the process they would tell them he just with withdrew. I was fine having a DQ cause I can fully explain myself to any agency with no hesitation. I just took his advice in the end.

In most police agencies, if you were fired elsewhere for reasons that would cause you to be fired by them, its an automatic disqualification.

So, the big question is why were you terminated?

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Marx9954
      Marx9954 commented
      Editing a comment
      its long and complicated, the short version is I was going to quit a job I had for 5 years. I was tired of it. so I went on a break and just decided I wasn't going back (not the responsible way I know). I went home for about and hour and a half and basically had second thoughts. When i got back the manager asked where I was, I told her that I took a phone call that lasted way longer than anticipated ( not the smartest thing I know). I got sent home and two weeks later was given termination papers. the other termination was from a security position for letting someone into an office without their Id. Security in South FL is a joke and you can get fired for the most BS reason, seriously even if a supervisor doesn't like you a termination won't be far behind. which is why I tend to find another job when things seem off at a post.

• J2H
      J2H commented
      Editing a comment
      You should have been disciplined and/or fired for allowing someone in without an ID... that's what Security is there for...

Just for clarification were these terminations from a private business or a law enforcement agency and were they for disciplinary reasons? If they were from a private business and for something not serious you may have a shot once you establish a good work history. If they were from Law Enforcement agencies for disciplinary reasons you can probably start looking at another career.

Comment

• Marx9954
      Marx9954 commented
      Editing a comment
      They were all from private business. Publix and a security post. The thing is Pembroke Pines was the only agency to ever give me a problem for the termination. everyone else was just previous driving history.

I can tell you that it would DQ you from our process. Having two or more terminations within 5 years of application for anything discipline related is often going to be viewed as an "unstable" employment history. Like I said, work to establish a stable employment history with good references and you should have fewer issues getting hired on. So far as explaining that goes, you could explain till you are blue in the face, but you would still be DQ'ed

Comment

• Marx9954
      Marx9954 commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah I can understand why the policies are like that. I'll keep trying no matter what. but if it takes more time then so be it. Thank you for your insight.

Originally posted by Marx9954 View Post
    I was going to quit a job I had for 5 years. I was tired of it. so I went on a break and just decided I wasn't going back (not the responsible way I know). I went home for about and hour and a half and basically had second thoughts. When i got back the manager asked where I was, I told her that I took a phone call that lasted way longer than anticipated ( not the smartest thing I know).
    Your conduct here was willful and deliberate. Based on this we would have disqualified you as lacking the general qualifications of integrity, honesty, dependability, accuracy, good judgment, and ability to assume the responsibilities and to conform to the conditions of work characteristic of the employment,

the other termination was from a security position for letting someone into an office without their Id.
    Based on this we would have disqualified you as lacking the general qualifications of dependability, good judgment, and ability to assume the responsibilities and to conform to the conditions of work characteristic of the employment,

Security in South FL is a joke and you can get fired for the most BS reason, seriously even if a supervisor doesn't like you a termination won't be far behind. which is why I tend to find another job when things seem off at a post.
    That statement alone is the kiss of death. It suggests you fail to appreciate that your conduct, which resulted in termination, was improper and that you incapable or unwilling to take a position of trust seriously. I suspect that attitude came through to your BI as well. If I am wrong, I apologize, but of I'm right, it's going to take many years and a huge attitude adjustment on your part before anyone hires you.

Comment

• Marx9954
      Marx9954 commented
      Editing a comment
      While I understand that you feel that I have a certain level of immaturity based on the very brief overview of my past work history, you are being far too critical. For starters i would never say 'Oh security is a joke and its a BS job' In a oral board. With all do respect sir, you act as if you never had a dead end job that has poor pay as well as poor management. which again is fine but working for pay that is below living wage is something that makes me strive for something better. so yes, I showed immaturity for a job that "forgets" to add my overtime to my check. Which now I regret and cannot change. From what I can tell you have had your position for a long time. Which I completely respect but things for those of us who are trying to earn our way into the field have any and everything stacked against us. I understand how work history can reflect how you can be seen as an officer, but it should not play a final decision in a selection (unless something criminal occurred). I feel that because I grew tired of making subs at publix and quit the wrong way should be talked about but shouldn't be a DQ. In fact im sure there have been candidates that would have been great officers whom were turned away for not meeting your standard. And I can also guarantee that your department (with respect) has hired someone who has done something to tarnish your departments reputation and they exceeded all your standards. So as far as the huge attitude and many years of working dead ends to get hired is bull**** sir, you can go sell those magic beans somewhere else. I know I would be a good officer and earn a departments respect and trust if given the chance.

• J2H
      J2H commented
      Editing a comment
      Respectfully, Marx9954, you do not get to make that call. That is up to the oral board and the rest of the folks who have their hand in the hiring of officers. The inability to ADAPT to change at previous jobs shows inflexibility, immaturity, and the fact that you cannot handle simple stress, and yes, should be looked at a possible DQs. This "holier-than-thou" attitude you are showing right now would get you tossed on the street. You need to put more time in at a stable job and give it a good 5 to 10 years of stable work history before you even try.

You haven’t been able to show how you are such a quality candidate. Arguing with people who have been part of the BI process on here just shows how immature you STILL are.

No one owes you a “chance”, certainly NOT the public. It’s too dangerous out there without ANOTHER failure in life to worry about.

You wouldn’t be hired at my agency either, nor any in the surrounding area.

Grow up. Then try again an 10 years.

Heres a shinebox to get you started on job security.

You're welcome.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

While I understand that you feel that I have a certain level of immaturity based on the very brief overview of my past work history, you are being far too critical. For starters i would never say 'Oh security is a joke and its a BS job' In a oral board. With all do respect sir, you act as if you never had a dead end job that has poor pay as well as poor management. which again is fine but working for pay that is below living wage is something that makes me strive for something better. so yes, I showed immaturity for a job that "forgets" to add my overtime to my check. Which now I regret and cannot change. From what I can tell you have had your position for a long time. Which I completely respect but things for those of us who are trying to earn our way into the field have any and everything stacked against us. I understand how work history can reflect how you can be seen as an officer, but it should not play a final decision in a selection (unless something criminal occurred). I feel that because I grew tired of making subs at publix and quit the wrong way should be talked about but shouldn't be a DQ. In fact im sure there have been candidates that would have been great officers whom were turned away for not meeting your standard. And I can also guarantee that your department (with respect) has hired someone who has done something to tarnish your departments reputation and they exceeded all your standards. So as far as the huge attitude and many years of working dead ends to get hired is bull**** sir, you can go sell those magic beans somewhere else. I know I would be a good officer and earn a departments respect and trust if given the chance.
      Not even a burglar caught in the act, a politician caught taking a bribe, or a Hollywood actor caught in a sexual harassment claim could have said that better.

Here's the deal. You can say you've turned your life around, that you've changed, that you are a new person, have found Jesus, will not let us down, or any of a dozen things. But to us, such statements are meaningless and self serving. They are empty promises people make every day just to get something they want.

The real proof is your conduct. Does it bear out what you've said? So far, it hasn't. You conduct has demonstrated you lack many of the minimum requirements for the position you are seeking. Were we to knowingly hire you under these circumstances and property to be damaged or someone to be injured or killed because you again demonstrated a lack of these traits, we would be on the hook civilly for something called Negligent Hiring and Negligent Retention. No one is going to risk their career for that, or risk losing their home and bank account in a civil suit, just to make you happy.

It is now incumbent upon you to demonstrate that you really have changed. This take time - years of leading an exemplary life - steady employment record with good performance evaluations, no negative police contacts, good credit history, etc. It's up to you to do that.

In the mean time you can keep applying, but remember, a history of numerous DQs can be a red flag in the future. Look before you leap.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4249 users online. 202 members and 4047 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X