300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of State (qualified in Florida)

A friend of mine recently took a test in Fl. He is retiring from the job in Mass. He said he had to qualify in certain areas, shooting, driving, DT etc..... Can anyone tell me what test he may have taken. The reason I ask, I applied for the Miami Gardens job and I would like to know what test I may encounter before I leave the job I have now. If I get the job with Miami Gardens, that is.
    "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowlege of the Holy One is understanding." (Prov 9:10)

MA to FL certification

There is two parts to switching your certification. I just did it from NH. Actually there is three parts.

1st: get in touch with FDLE and sent them a copy of a bunch of paperwork, academy stuff and employment verifications. They will then say you qualify for the abreviated FL academy/certification.

2nd: Go down to FL and take the EOT or EQ (equivalency of training). They are the same thing, but called different by different people. It will be a class on DT's, Firearms, Driving, and CPR/First Aid. I took the class in Brevard County, through Brevard Comm. College. It was a 6 day compact course. The other ones I heard of are 10 to 14 days. I think they aren't as long of days, but I went to the 6 dayer because each day was costing me money for rental car, food, hotel, time out of work, etc. The class is easy as long as you had decent training in your current state.

3rd: Go back down to FL and take the State Officer Exam. See the FDLE site for more info. (Oh yeah, there was also a three day exam prep class in Brevard that prepares you for the test. It was the three days right before the EOT training. I didn't have the needed time off from work so I didn't get to attend that. Don't know if it helps or not. The lady in Brevard will work with you, she was great.) The state officer exam is supposedly based on the CMS curriculum. There is a ton of talke about that in these forums.

Anyway, good luck. PM me if you need more.

Dan

Comment

Thanks, that helps a lot. You answered my question perfectly. I applied for MGPD. They said they will pay for all of the test of the 150 LEO's they hire in this initial faze.
      "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowlege of the Holy One is understanding." (Prov 9:10)

Comment

John3:16

Hi John,

I applied also. It seems those hired from out of state would get an abbreviated version of this test. It also seems we would have a year to take this test. Is this what you understood also?

I applied also, from out of state.

Comment

Equivalency - The Equivalency of Training process is for Out-of-State/Federal Officers and/or previously certified Florida officers with a four year or more break-in-service pursuant to section 943131(2), Florida Statutes and Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) 11B-35.009(4)(5). The Equivalency of Training process is an avenue by which an officer can request an exemption from the full academy.

Equivalency for Certification

The Equivalency of Training process is for Out-of-State/Federal Officers and/or previously certified Florida officers with a four year or more break-in-service pursuant to section 943131(2), Florida Statutes and Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) 11B-35.009(4)(5). The Equivalency of Training process is an avenue by which an officer can request an exemption from the full academy.
          You may be eligible for an exemption from the full basic training requirements if you were an officer in another state or with the federal government and meet the following requirements: (1) you worked at least one year, full-time as a sworn officer in the discipline you are seeking exemption; (2) you received training in that discipline which is comparable to Florida's full basic curriculum and/or; (3) you were previously certified in Florida. There can be no more than an 8 year break in employment, which is measured from the separation date of the most recent qualifying employment to the time a complete application CJSTC-76 is submitted for exemption. In order to become a certified officer in Florida, you will need to demonstrate proficiency in the high liability areas and pass the state certification exam in the same discipline within 1 year of receipt of the approved Equivalency of Training Form (CJSTC-76 revised 7/01/02).

By law, criminal justice employing agencies or selection centers are responsible for reviewing out-of-state or federal officer's employment and training to initially determine eligibility for exemption. The Florida Department of Law Enforcement does not determine a person's eligibility. Upon collection, verification and authentication of documentation which establishes that you meet the training and experience requirements, a criminal justice employing agency or an assessment center must submit a completed Equivalency of Training Out of State/Federal Officer form CJSTC-76 (pdf) to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for approval. (The applicant does not complete the CJSTC-76 form)

Documentation of one year's experience as an out-of-state or federal officer may consist of authentic copies of one or more of the following:

payroll records
          employment records
          verification of employment letters/affidavits

Documentation of prior training may consist of authentic copies of the following:
          training records from prior employers
          training records from academies
          transcripts
          curricula summaries
          certificates of completion
          verification of training /letters affidavits
          Once the request is processed, and if approved, you should then enroll in the appropriate pre-exam training (if you choose), demonstrate proficiency in the high liability areas, and take the state certification exam.

Contact the criminal justice agency of your choice for specific information concerning job vacancies. An address list of all Florida criminal justice agencies may be obtained by accessing the FDLE web site at:

http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/Professionalism/AgencyAddresses/
          sigpic

Comment

That is what I understood, thanks and good luck to you. (2Lucky)

Comment

Thank you all for the information. I'm in the process of waiting for an interview, so I'm trying to be patient and positive.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2193 users online. 148 members and 2045 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X