Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy - Full time July

Hey guys,

Wadson here again. Well instead of doing april 2nd part time academy, I signed the dotted line and switched to Julys fulltime.

Do community colleges consider this a course? Was hoping I could get funding from the government, and pay a low intrest fee on a 2.5k loan.

I want to fimiliarize myself with fin. aid before I go try and apply. Everytime I call the schoools fin. aid department, I always get a "do it online.. " "dunno, check it online"

I was told you can apply, at thier desk, which is the easier process. I got a few months, how should I handle it?

Do banks offer educational loans, to low credit individuals?

635 - Expieran
    681 - Transunion
    --- - Unknown

I know there is a third, but I cant obtain it.
    The statements posted on here are of my own and does not represent any agency that I am in process with, was in process with or will be in process with.

You can get financial aid and it's pretty easy to do. Just fill out the fafsa paperwork then head on down to the financial aide office.

Comment

I wouldn't even worry about college. Just focus on the academy. I went to a really nice college, with a really nice price tag(125K), and all I get is 80 dollars extra a month for having my bachelors. Obe you are certified and working, go to school on their bill, it will save you a lot of money in the future.
      Last edited by skibum81; 04-07-2007, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I thought you were already in the academy?

Comment

Originally posted by wannabele
          I thought you were already in the academy?
          No sir, you thought wrong. I was, untill I changed the date. I was enroute to the april 2nd night class. I changed to full time because of 11 officers from palm bay and 7 from melbourne that told me it would be easier, and quicker.

I'm not about the speed. I'm more of a Quality > Quantity type person.

Originally posted by StudChris
          You can get financial aid and it's pretty easy to do. Just fill out the fafsa paperwork then head on down to the financial aide office.
          So Fafsa considers Police Academy a college course correct?
          The statements posted on here are of my own and does not represent any agency that I am in process with, was in process with or will be in process with.

Comment

You made the right choice by going to the full time academy. I went full time last year, finished in Feb too my state exam that same month passed and am now hired with the local PD. Meanwhile the partime class that started a month before me is not due to graduate until June.... That's just insane, unless of course it's the only way you can do it.

Comment

ok, the academy is accredited for 24 or 26 college semester hours.
              you can qualify for financial aid as Chris said.
              you need to contact Brevard CC, do admissions, and talk with the financial aid people who will ask if you've signed up for fafsa.

also wadson, daytime academy DOES NOT automatically equal quality or EASE.
              the people in night time work jobs, have kids, and are doing whatever it takes to become LEOs.
              I hope you keep a fulltime job, pass everything the first time around and graduate the academy with a 93.5 or above average, and nail the state test in your first shot- that's just my story.

just a heads up, by the completion of constitutional law testing, the first block, we lost 25% or more of the class, due to PT and/or intellectual capacity.
              about another 4 students were lost from then to graduation.
              of those numbers, only 60% passed the state test the first time.

if you get hired, because completion of the academy/state exam does not mean one meets hire requirements for any department, about 33% that did get hired or more people i've know did not stay on with their first department.
              reasons are: left for somewhere else, got terminated/quit or failed FTO (which i did).

the night time brevard academy is in melbourne, the daytime is in titusville last i knew. with gas going up to 3 bucks a gallon, i would stay local to palm bay.
              the 110 mile round trip daily to Tville is boring. i know, i did it from PB.
              start thinking of car pooling right away.

just sometimes you know not of which you speak. good luck anyway.
              edit: and that goes for me too.
              Last edited by dogma vs karma; 04-07-2007, 08:37 PM.
              "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

Originally posted by WadsonF
                Damn bro, wealth of information.

I'm going Monday. And, I dont damn well it does not mean EASE, but it means I'm a full time student, and I will dedicate my 4-5 months of life to LEO Academy.

An officer today was talking to me about it today Told me, the best advice he could give was to cut out my social life. I hardly talk to people but my family anyway, I think it would help.

+ Car pooling
                + Study groups

I'm glad I made this decision, I'm also impressed that you guys would of done the same.

I'm damned proud, and feel better. Thanks for the motivation. Dogma, you too. Great guys, +3respect to you both. +3 to you too Chris!
                Naming names on a public forum is sometimes quite frowned upon, even if it is a positive.
                Last edited by StudChris; 04-09-2007, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Naming names on a public forum is sometimes quite frowned upon, even if it is a positive.
                  times one million(x1,000,000)
                  "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

Ok "Stud.", I'll refrain from using names.

Regardless, thanks for the information, I'll be checking in with the BCC office asap. I was told the process takes months, hopfully I am not too late.
                    Last edited by threatZERO; 04-08-2007, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Dogma that sucks about your academy. We started with twelve, ended with twelve and all but two have not passed the state exam yet. Our academy has a 98% pass rate as well. Those are some pretty crappy statistics I must say.

Comment

Ours started with like 31, two quit after the first day, but then we didn't loose any for like the first 7 module exams. After that they started ropping like flies for academics and I think we graduated about 24.

Comment

to wadson, the stuff just takes a couple days.
                          as long as you register for the classes/program and have the FAFSA done and in hand, it's just a couple stops. you should be able to register at BCC palm bay since it appears that it would be closer to you. you might also use BCC PB the financial aid office too.

Be that pig.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5030 users online. 281 members and 4749 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X