Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cocoa, police union in contract impasse (going on 3 years!)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cocoa, police union in contract impasse (going on 3 years!)

"Officers with Cocoa’s Police Department have not had a contract with the city for more than two years. Wages and salary benefits have been stagnant."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbc...D=200770330020
    COCOA – Unable to reach an agreement on salary and benefits with police union officials, the city has declared an impasse.

“We’re not getting anywhere,” said deputy city manager Wendy Widmann. “We’re frustrated because we know the police officers are frustrated.”

While not an unusual procedure when union officials and the city can’t reach an agreement, the impasse comes at a time when police departments, including Cocoa’s, nationwide face shortages and struggle to hire and retain officers.

Widmann said union representatives with Coastal Police Benevolent Association rejected the city’s offer, an overall increase in pay of 19.5 percent for the period of a three-year contract.

Instead of taking the issue before council, the union decided to invite a labor relations expert to settle the case, whose decision could take several months, and in which an appeal by either the union or the city typically occurs, Widmann said.

Officers with Cocoa’s Police Department have not had a contract with the city for more than two years. Wages and salary benefits have been stagnant.

Chief Phil Ludos said the lack of a contract has been a factor in the transfers of at least six seasoned officers since early January.

“They cite money as a factor,” he said. He said the agency replaces the officers, but training costs are expensive.

“It’s unfortunate the PBA decided to go the longer route,” he said. “It’s going to take more time to get these officers adequately paid.”
    "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

don't think cocoa is a premeir agency, and who they hire may be the rejects
    no one else wants, unless things have changed since they built their new
    station.............the old station had a neat alcatraz style cell block.
    " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
    " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

As a recent CPD officer...I take offense to being a "reject"..CPD is an excellent group of LEO's, the have a ****-poor city admin that is more focused on their City Hall and the CM's 6000 sqft office.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

the city makes its money on water and doesn't care about residents or police.
        my opinion.
        "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050
          As a recent CPD officer...I take offense to being a "reject"..CPD is an excellent group of LEO's, the have a ****-poor city admin that is more focused on their City Hall and the CM's 6000 sqft office.
          well, if ya ask around, ' clifford johns ' ask about him , and why cocoa hired him, one of the most infamous cocoa cop's money could buy....
          maybea lil historical now, old cliff is living down here and even made the rounds of being locked up in my jail.
          " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

One or two misfits do not represent the entire force...Anyone that has been around longer than a coffee break knows that.
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2552 users online. 132 members and 2420 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X