300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunrise Police Chief Steps Down

Just wondering what anybody thinks the impact of this will be on the department, positive? Negative? Also how this might affect potential hiring?

Sunrise police chief steps down

Boyett answers resignation request

By Jennifer Gollan
    South Florida Sun-Sentinel
    Posted March 31 2007

Sunrise – Bowing to pressure from several city commissioners, Police Chief David Boyett resigned Thursday after 12 years on the job.

Boyett, 57, turned in his resignation Thursday, more than two weeks after Commissioner Roger Wishner said he asked that Boyett step down by Thursday or face possible firing.

"I want him to go because I'm ready for a new direction for this city," said Wishner, who won a seat on the commission March 13.

Wishner declined to elaborate.

Boyett earns $139,700 annually and oversees a staff of 300, including more than 170 sworn police officers. He hasn't specified a departure date. Boyett could not be reached for comment despite several telephone messages left with his assistant.

Boyett has been at the helm during a period of steady population growth in the city, and the hiring of about 45 police officers. But his tenure also has been marred by complaints of low morale among police officers, with some recently choosing to quit the department for what they say are superior agencies in neighboring cities.

At the commission meeting Thursday, Wishner proposed that Boyett leave Thursday, but Commissioner Sheila Alu argued such a hasty exit without a named successor would leave the department adrift.

"He didn't say he wanted to leave tomorrow," Commissioner Joseph Scuotto said Thursday of Boyett. "He doesn't know what he's going to do."

Boyett's contract requires 60 days notice before he quits or is fired. He is to receive a lump sum equivalent to two months' salary, as well as his accrued annual leave and sick time.

The commission directed staff to begin a nationwide search for Boyett's successor. The city may replace Boyett with one of three captains in the department if he leaves before a permanent chief is hired. Some officers expressed surprise at Boyett's resignation.

"I'm kind of taken aback by this," said Mike Broksch, president of the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge Number 80, which represents 118 sworn officers. "I don't know why he resigned."

Before taking up his current post in October 1995, Boyett spent 24 years working for the police department in Norman, Okla., including seven years as chief.

Jennifer Gollan can be reached at [email protected] or 954-572-2009.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6710 users online. 360 members and 6350 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X