300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can an employer say about you?

Just curious as to what employers can say about you? And no, I did not get fired, left during an internal investigation, or anything like that. I am just wondering what Florida Agencies can say about someone who voluntarily seperated from their agency.

Umm... whatever they want?

Comment

I'm not too sure about that, but maybe?
      Last edited by skibum81; 04-08-2007, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Honestly I think Chris is somewhat right. I worked for a employee leasing company before going into law enforcement and when people would call us about past employees we could only verify information and tell thm whether or not the person was eligible for re-hire. In law enforcement I find it's a lot different. I mean think about it. It's one of the few jobs where you actually have to be a decent person to get a job. So they definately get more detailed when calling around.

Comment

My department's administrative regulations prohibt comment on a current or former member. However, with a proper waiver form they will provide information from your personnel file, i.e. copies of internal affairs investigations.

Comment

OK, the law prohibits any employer from divulging any personal information about your work habits, character and overall personality. Anything besides the dates of employment is not aloud. Now whether employers know this or not does not matter; they can be sued for it if it happens. Of course as a police officer your file is public info so they can ask for that. What really happens behind closed doors is anybody’s guess. LE agencies tend to speak to one another in secrecy reveling the most intimate of details. It would be hard to find out what exactly your shift sergeant told your bi during the hiring process.

Comment

I've always been told that all an agency can give out is:

1) Dates worked.

2) Would you re-hire or not.

Now.....having been around the block a time or two, we all know that's not correct......as you will get folks giving out info that isn't correct or isn't allowable by law.

I know a few LEOs back in MO that have sued (or in the process there of) former agencies for giving out bad or misleading info.....

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback, it pretty much said what I thought. Here is another one. What can I do to find out what the former employer is saying about me? I just have a bad feeling that I may be getting bad mouthed by someone out there, and I feel like ther is nothing is I can do it about it.

Comment

In your application, most PDs/SOs have an FDLE form waiving your rights during a background-- allowing people to say anything truthful. he's late, lazy, worthless, whatever.

My advice to you if you think someone is bad mouthing you, have a female friend some so-so HR call and ask some questions, make sure you record the line (not a cell phone, you can get recorders from radio shack that plug right into your home phone). If they are you have yourself a law suit if not then you can stop worrying.

Comment

Thats a good idea. I dont wanna be that guy who files a suit against his old agency though. I just dont want people bad mouthing me for no reason, other than the fact that I quit. I'm too worried about what HR would say, its what the former supervisor might say that gets me worried.
                    Last edited by skibum81; 04-03-2007, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Its supposed to be that you can only find out if the person is eligible for Re-hire or not. But on your PHS you have to list your Manager/Boss and Co-workers and their phone numbers. I don't think a BI really cares to talk with a HR Rep that is just going to say "Yay or Nay." They will go straight to your boss and get the dirt if their is any on you.
                      “Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway” (John Wayne)

Comment

Some guys I know back in MO that thought they were getting screwed over by their agency went to an law firm that specialized in HR laws.....and the firm either made calls/sent letters out like one would if they are a legit LE Agency trying to hire folks.....and got the proof that way....

They ended up turning around and suing the agency........

Comment

Originally posted by off_kimball
                          In your application, most PDs/SOs have an FDLE form waiving your rights during a background-- allowing people to say anything truthful. he's late, lazy, worthless, whatever.

My advice to you if you think someone is bad mouthing you, have a female friend some so-so HR call and ask some questions, make sure you record the line (not a cell phone, you can get recorders from radio shack that plug right into your home phone). If they are you have yourself a law suit if not then you can stop worrying.
                          If you do that in the state of FL you are commiting a crime and can be arrested. You have to let that person know that they are being recorded over a phone conversation before any question is asked and if they have a spontanoes comment before you tell them they are being recorded it is not admissible in court.

Now on duty you can record what ever you want there is not expectation of privacy with a police officer.

Comment

As far as I know, I dont think they can say too much about you. However, like everyone else stated you do sign a waiver to release any records ie. background checks, personnel file, etc... Just keep that in mind. I had a buddy that resigned from a PD due to personal reasons and the PD never gave him any bad references. Just have someone call and act like they are about to offer you a job and you are doing a background check. See what they have to say.
                            Last edited by Latino50; 04-03-2007, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LATIN COP
                              If you do that in the state of FL you are commiting a crime and can be arrested. You have to let that person know that they are being recorded over a phone conversation before any question is asked and if they have a spontanoes comment before you tell them they are being recorded it is not admissible in court.
                              Easy enough to do....just have the person tell them you would like to record what they are saying to make sure you get an accurate account of what they are telling you and to make sure they are in compliance within FL law and go from there.

If they won't do that.....send them a letter asking for the information....and stick a return addressed/stamped envelope with it.....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5930 users online. 333 members and 5597 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X