Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LCPLPunk
    replied
    Thanks for the info Lake. I looked at the Palmer and AFH websites and their prices are way more than Centex. Me and my wife looked at the houses in the Centex subdivision and it really wasn't a bad little place. It is next to a cemetery, but it's all good.

Another thing about the Centex subdivision is that a saleswoman told us that Centex has had the property for about a year and a half, and so far they only have about 50/150 houses sold. Good news for buyers!

Leave a comment:

• LakeLaw
    replied
    Builders with LEO discounts....

Originally posted by LCPLPunk View Post
    Lake, me and my wife were looking at some homes in Tavares (Centex homes) and I saw that you mentioned about discounts for LE, education, etc. Do you know what builders give these discounts? I know KB Homes does, but I don't think they are building any houses out there.

Oh, and by the way, Tavares is beautiful!
    Hello LCPLPunk...thanks for the compliment...we like to think our city is GREAT!

As for builders that give discounts...America's First Home, they have Chelsea Oaks and Tuscan Grove in our city. Centex home has Martin's Grove (they are reallllly giving good discounts). I looked at a 3500 sf, 6 bedroom, 4 bath, 2 cg home for $249k, very nice lay out! The city Fire Chief is my Crime Watch Captain there. Palmer Homes is also giving a nice discount, they have one development in our city. Your best pricing will probably be Palmer, but Martin's Grove gives you the best floor plan/square feet, and AFH Tuscan Grove will have the BEST construction. Decisions, decisions.....I wanted to move into city limits, but the taxes over and above what I currently pay in the city I live.....I've decided to build onto my current house instead! Hope that helps. Good luck!

http://www.palmerhomes.us/lane_park_ridge.html
    http://www.americasfirsthome.net/ind...CommunityID=10
    http://www.centexhomes.com/Orlando/N46188.asp

Leave a comment:

• LCPLPunk
    replied
    Lake, me and my wife were looking at some homes in Tavares (Centex homes) and I saw that you mentioned about discounts for LE, education, etc. Do you know what builders give these discounts? I know KB Homes does, but I don't think they are building any houses out there.

Oh, and by the way, Tavares is beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• LakeLaw
    replied
    Sorry....we Have No Positions Left.

Originally posted by DS5529 View Post
    still hiring?? pm sent to LakeLaw
    Hello DS5529, received your message....and responded. I am sorry to say for those of you job seeking....we do NOT have any openings. As you all know, even agencies that had been looking to hire, are all holding their breath until the final word comes down about the tax situation. As for Tavares, we were to have one position for October, but that was filled. I appreciate your interest and wish you all the best with your endeavors to join the ranks.

Leave a comment:

• DS5529
    replied
    still hiring?? pm sent to LakeLaw

Leave a comment:

• LakeLaw
    replied
    You can make it ....just make wise choices.

Originally posted by Larry's Angel View Post
    So, out of curiosity, I know the cost of housing was mentioned earlier... but what is the reality of a single person actually living "well" (ie. not paycheck-to-paycheck) in that area? I'm a 25 year old female, Florida certified, moved to NC a year ago (but my certification is still good for a few years right?). I'm just curious now if I should be tempted by this or if I'd be struggling to get by on that salary in that area as well.
    Hello L.A. I think if you make the appropriate educated choices, I.E: no high car payment, non-extravagant housing...etc....you'd be just fine. Knowing how much you make, and budgeting properly will allow you to make out fine. It just all depends in the type of lifestyle you are currently accustomed to living. Plus, if you make an extra effort to find housing where the landlord is willing to give you an 'officer discount'. That is where you agree to handle issues with residents in your community, in exchange for either a discounted rate, or completely free rent. Many local builders actually offer individuals in the field of education, nursing and law enforcement additional incentives such as a builder discounts or special financing. GOOD LUCK!

Leave a comment:

• sureshot015
    replied
    Cost of Living? I work for an agency in Seminole County, just north of Orlando, where the cost of living is a bit higher than over in lake county. In my first year I was able to purchase condo, have a good time on days off, and still put some money in the bank; so it certainly is possible. Many of you keep mentioning hireing freezes....many agencies are under them, but we are not and still actively recruiting.

Leave a comment:

• Larry's Angel
    replied
    So, out of curiosity, I know the cost of housing was mentioned earlier... but what is the reality of a single person actually living "well" (ie. not paycheck-to-paycheck) in that area? I'm a 25 year old female, Florida certified, moved to NC a year ago (but my certification is still good for a few years right?). I'm just curious now if I should be tempted by this or if I'd be struggling to get by on that salary in that area as well.

Leave a comment:

• dannmann1050
    replied
    Ahh...The weblink...

Leave a comment:

• off_kimball
    replied
    yes if you are 21 they sponsor
    http://www.cityoforlando.net/police/...Qualifications

Leave a comment:

• dannmann1050
    replied
    Try calling them, or looking at their respective website

Leave a comment:

• Saname81
    replied
    Is orlando hiring non-certified?

Leave a comment:

• soflacop
    replied
    Id like to put my two cents in.. Lakelaw and Ofc Kimball have both been extremely forthright in thier posts. As i previously stated i applied and within a week i was up there for a ride along and a interview. Unfortunately due to financial reasons i wont be able to move there right this minute, but i still recommend Tavares PD as a good place to look for other people. The last thing a potential applicant should be doing is come onto a public website and bash a potential employer.. the proper way would probably have been to drop a discreet email or a simple phone call if you have ll's number.

Just my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• LakeLaw
    replied
    I'd be confused too, if I were you...no hard feelings.

Originally posted by tylerfox View Post
    What October spot? In your post you made a couple of weeks ago, you said
    "We have an opening now...start applying". In my mind, that means you
    have a current opening and you just have to wait a few days for the city
    to post the job. I am not understanding why TPD is processing some
    cadet from the academy who hasn't even passed the state exam yet, for
    the only opening you will have, that we are now hearing isn't even open
    until October.
    And the other opening that TPD "might" have I am assuming stems from
    an incident that occured a couple of weeks ago with another officer.
    I realize you are acting in good faith, and simply passing along info as
    you get it with the intention of helping us get jobs. I understand that,
    and appreciate the honest effort, but it becomes increasingly frustrating
    to hear one thing, then be told something completely different because
    someone above you can't get their information straight, or can't even give
    you any information at all. It's also not fair to those of us who are already
    road ready to have to sit by the wayside, while some cadet is given first
    crack at the job when they aren't even certified yet. Had I known all of this
    ahead of time, I wouldn't have rushed so quickly to get my application in.
    I actually believed that this might be a "two week process" as I had been
    hearing from the others on this thread.
    Hello there Tylerfox. I understand your frustration. But I am only one person, and obviously not the person that calls the shots around here. "Don't shoot the messenger" 'ya know? Anyway, I think it says a lot that you are willing to speak your mind and defend your position. That shows you have strengths in your convictions, and speaks a lot for your loyalty. As far as everyone else here giving you a hard time for speaking up, I can understand thier aggravation....but they are just trying to come to my defense because they realize that it was never any intention of mine to misled or misguide anyone. All I can say is, I am told what I am told. It doesn't mean I've lied to anyone, or tried to put any fluff on anything. As for a high ranking officer making a decision as to who they feel would be a good addition to our department at this point in time, I have no say on that. I can't necessarily disagree with their decision, because I respect every decision they make as they are the leaders of this department. I apologize if you are upset by any happenings here, and hope that you find the department that suits you best...whether that be Tavares or any other agency. Thank you for your interest, and be sure to check back with me.

Leave a comment:

• off_kimball
    replied
    Originally posted by tylerfox View Post
    What October spot? In your post you made a couple of weeks ago, you said
    "We have an opening now...start applying". In my mind, that means you
    have a current opening and you just have to wait a few days for the city
    to post the job. I am not understanding why TPD is processing some
    cadet from the academy who hasn't even passed the state exam yet, for
    the only opening you will have, that we are now hearing isn't even open
    until October.
    And the other opening that TPD "might" have I am assuming stems from
    an incident that occured a couple of weeks ago with another officer.
    I realize you are acting in good faith, and simply passing along info as
    you get it with the intention of helping us get jobs. I understand that,
    and appreciate the honest effort, but it becomes increasingly frustrating
    to hear one thing, then be told something completely different because
    someone above you can't get their information straight, or can't even give
    you any information at all. It's also not fair to those of us who are already
    road ready to have to sit by the wayside, while some cadet is given first
    crack at the job when they aren't even certified yet. Had I known all of this
    ahead of time, I wouldn't have rushed so quickly to get my application in.
    I actually believed that this might be a "two week process" as I had been
    hearing from the others on this thread.
    I could be wrong but I am guessing a few weeks ago that the possible opening Lakelaw was posting was the incident you refer to. However, after an extensive I.A, is completed that could go either way. The guaranteed position is an October budgeted slot. And yes they are looking HARD at a graduate from Lake Tech’s academy. The Captain teaches out there, and I am not sure what this guy did, but he got the Capt.’s attention and held his attention throughout the academy. With that being said he’s done and takes the test in the next few weeks. If he passes, and passes our BI, Poly, Psyc., and Med. He’s probably in from what I hear. However, I would still send you apps in. They have hired 6 people so far this year. They will take as many as the city budget allows. Lakelaw recruited me the same way back in Aug. I applied didn’t hear a thing, but I didn’t complain. I looked into OCSO and HCSO. I also came in and did a ride along to see if I would even enjoy it and get known by others. In Feb. they called and I started.

Originally posted by pvttjc View Post
    Honestly not trying to be a brown-noser here, but Tyler, that's LE for ya! In any para-military organization you're going to experience the "hurry up and wait" mentality. It's a part of the program that we as hopefuls have to accept.

And the matter of the cadet - I can see your side there, but we're not seeing the cadet! This guy could be, and probably IS a shining star if he's impressed the higher ups so much.
    Exactly. You have to compete. Like I said I applied in Aug., and didn’t get in until Feb. I never said one thing or even questioned things, they hired an academy grad. over me ( certified, 3 yrs LEO experience, and a 4yr degree) I just kept telling LL that I was interested just like pvttjc is doing now.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4620 users online. 319 members and 4301 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X