300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dannmann1050
    HAHA... Thanks Karma... I don't know about the "best"... But I try none the less... I just can't wait to be back in Florida. Karma; do I know you? just curious..

BE SAFE ya'll

OH... Lake...I'm workin on getting him a screen-name... Just gotta pin him down for 5 minutes from his 15-20 jobs to figure it out..hahaha

Thanks again
    Congrats, dannmann! Now when the rest of the department and town folk want to know where Lake found ya, she can say, "I found him on the Internet!"

Good luck to you!

Comment

I came from out of state (ny). i did my EOT 8 days at Lake Tech .. good school and good instructors. They got me in class quick and out of class quick. We also had a visitor (instructor for a different class or something like that ) from a "local pd" (Captain i think) driving a tahoe ..... i wonder who that might have been ..... ??
      I can recommend Lake Tech for EOT (8 days total .. 1 and 1/2 days of Firearms, 1 and 1/2 days EVOC, 1 of DT although it feels like more than one afterwards, and 1 day of First Aid stuff) and its just down the road from Tavares. They also give you 3 days of practice tests so you can be ready to take the states multiple choice state cert. exam.

Comment

Lake Tech is in TAVARES

Originally posted by owenscott
        I came from out of state (ny). i did my EOT 8 days at Lake Tech .. good school and good instructors. They got me in class quick and out of class quick. We also had a visitor (instructor for a different class or something like that ) from a "local pd" (Captain i think) driving a tahoe ..... i wonder who that might have been ..... ??
        I can recommend Lake Tech for EOT (8 days total .. 1 and 1/2 days of Firearms, 1 and 1/2 days EVOC, 1 of DT although it feels like more than one afterwards, and 1 day of First Aid stuff) and its just down the road from Tavares. They also give you 3 days of practice tests so you can be ready to take the states multiple choice state cert. exam.
        Hello ownescott. Yes, you were right. The "visitor" you are speaking of was Captain Feleccia, from Tavares Police Department. Glad you had a good experience here in our city. Good luck in your endeavors!

Comment

Hiring Closed Until October

To all of you that are PM'ing or E-Mailing me about whether we are still hiring. At this point we have filled the 3 positions we had. Unless any of the 3 do not pass their backgrounds or state exam, we won't be hiring again until October.

To summarize the questions most people have asked:
          1) NO, we do not hire for any ranks above officer.
          2) NO, we do not offer lateral experience pay.
          3) NO, we do not pay 'relocation' expenses.
          4) NO, we do not pay for your out-of-state equivalency course.
          5) NO, we do not pay for your FDLE state exam fee of $100.
          6) NO, we do not sponsor you through the academy.
          7) YES, you should be a U.S. citizen.

YOU need to take the responsibility to have your academy completed and/or equivalency courses completed prior to starting the job.

Good luck to you still looking for your dream job.
          Remember...happiness comes from fidelity to a worthy purpose.

Comment

Lake..

I sense a touch of edgeness in you posting... AHhhhh... I dont' miss the recruiting scene what so ever.. But none the less...All good info posted..

BE SAFE!!!

D-
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

LakeLaw,
              Are you going to post again for the Oct hiring process. Anyway you could still send me an application now for Oct.

Comment

Sorry I sounded RUDE !

Originally posted by dannmann1050
                ...I sense a touch of edgeness in you posting...
                Hey Dan! SORRY! Didn't mean to sound cranky! I surely didn't mean to come across that way. I just figured it would be better to summarize the commonly asked questions to help people out. All is GOOD. I certainly cannot complain about ANYTHING. Hope to see you soon!

jkrein - Yes, I'll place another post towards mid September. As for an application, just go to www.tavares.org and click on the upper menu bar where it says "I want....a job". It will give you a link for a pre-employment application. Go ahead and either mark that under favorites on your browser, or print it out to fill it in. Thanks again for your continued interest.

Comment

Employment

Lakelaw,

I've got some questions if you don't mind answering them. I am located in Georgia. I've been looking for employment for the last year or so unsucessfully. I've been accepted into the Southeast Ga. Police Academy as a pre-service candidate. That means that I am not sponsored by a police department, I am going at my own expense. The problem is, they have to put those individuals that are hired on by police departments through first. It is required by law.

If you can get sponsored it is a lot faster getting in and starting classes. How does it work in Florida? I am interested in your department. I have jumped over some obstacles in my life and I am a better person because of it. I have wanted to be an officer since I was in high school. I worked at a police department part-time for about five years before I had some health problems and a car accident that ended that. I am better now, thank God.

I would really love to hear from you about possible employment. I am willing to work hard and prove myself worthy to be an officer for your department. I look forward to hearing from you.
                  www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by alienbow
                    ...If you can get sponsored it is a lot faster getting in and starting classes. How does it work in Florida? ...
                    Hi alienbow. Going to an academy in Florida is different in regions. The southern region you must have a 'sponsor'. That sponsor may or may not choose to pay you while you go to the academy, but they are making the decision to utilize their 'slot' for you to go. Some south Florida agencies will pay your academy and pay you while you go, others will pay your academy but won't pay you a salary while you go, and others will simply give you their slot but will not pay for the academy nor will they pay you a salary. Finding an agency that will sponsor, will take some time. It is in my opinion that agencies want to sponsor someone they would like to eventually hire. Therefore, they want someone that has a clean background, good driving history, educated, possibly military experience.

Whereas, our region - central Florida - works differently. It is MUCH easier to get into an academy towards the Orlando area. To the best of my knowledge, most academies in our area do NOT require you to be sponsored. You simply take the steps to go through the testing, such as CJBAT and physical agility tests to get enrolled and accepted. You typically go through an oral board type interview, as well as a psychological exam, amongst other modes of selection, but getting into an academy when you pay your own way is the easiest way to get in. Many people are not able to attend the 20 week day academy because they really cannot have full time employment to sustain themself while in training.

My best advice would be - to someone wanting to come to a central Florida academy - would be to research the costs incurred for training, and determine the costs (monthly bills and expenses) they would have to cover while they are in the academy. Once you have a set dollar amount you know you need for that period of time, plan in advance by completing your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Application and going to www.fastweb.com to seek out additional grants and scholarships available. I can't see why any person that does their 'homework' can't afford to go to the academy full time without working. It all depends on how hard you are willing to work in advance to be prepared to dedicate your full time attention to your training. There is the option of attending part time at night, which takes about 1 year to complete, but I honestly feel people that go through that stress do not test as well when it comes to the FDLE state certification exam. Full immersion is always the best way to succeed at something.

I know the next local academy class, in our city limits, starts in July http://laketech.org/ips/law-basic.php Though in state tuition rates are much lower than out of state. I believe it is $2.11 per contact hour versus $7.72 per contact hour.

I hope I answered your questions. Good luck to you!

True happiness comes from fidelity to a worthy purpose.

Comment

Plus there are about a ZILLION posting's on this, in various spots on Officer.com. Lot's of good info if you look for it.
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Sponsorship

If I went to the academy here in Georgia, would that be valid for Florida? I am just looking for someone to get me a slot so I can go to the academy. It's been a year and I haven't started yet. I've called departments here but I haven't had any luck.

I don't know if you saw some of the other points in my post. I am interested in your department. I downloaded the application. You said your department isn't hiring until October.

Here is the question I have. Would your department "sponsor" me?, as in get me a slot for the academy here so I can start? If it would be valid to go here and then get hired with you guys. I think I made sense, lol.

I am ready to get a job and I'm willing to do whatever it takes, legal, that is. Please let me know.
                        Last edited by alienbow; 04-21-2007, 03:09 PM.
                        www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

Comment

If I went to the academy here in Georgia, would that be valid for Florida? I am just looking for someone to get me a slot so I can go to the academy. It's been a year and I haven't started yet. I've called departments here but I haven't had any luck.

I don't know if you saw some of the other points in my post. I am interested in your department. I downloaded the application. You said your department isn't hiring until October.

Here is the question I have. Would your department "sponsor" me?, as in get me a slot for the academy here so I can start? If it would be valid to go here and then get hired with you guys. I think I made sense, lol.

I am ready to get a job and I'm willing to do whatever it takes, legal, that is. Please let me know.
                          If you want to work in Florida as LEO you must certified in Florida. The only way you can transfer a out of state certification into Florida, you must have one or more years of experence working as police officer. If not, you must go through the whole academy in Florida.
                          sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

If you want to work in Florida as LEO you must certified in Florida. The only way you can transfer a out of state certification into Florida, you must have one or more years of experence working as police officer. If not, you must go through the whole academy in Florida.
                            sigpicNEVER FORGET!!!

Comment

alienbow...

If you had read page 2 of this thread, She clearly stated that Tavares PD does NOT send people to the academy.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

It's already been stated but I'll say it again. To come from out of state you have to be certified there and have 365 days SWORN FULL-TIME---LEO experience.

If you truely want a job in FL come down here get a job anywhere DOC, WALMART, Quick Stop. Whatever, and send yourslef through. If you do that have a solid background someone will hire you ASAP. FL is growing and everywhere is hiring. Orange County alone is looking for 100+ officers, plus Orlando, Miami Gardens has 150 openings so thats going to leave 150 wholes somewhere, Collier County Sheriff is hiring evens sponsers if you have a Bachelor's, Ft Myers PD sponsers, The biggest step is the move after that you can get something. I quit a LEO job to come here with nothing, got a job at DOC and within 8 months I was up and going back on the road.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3645 users online. 248 members and 3397 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X