300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help ME

Hello to all. My dream is to become a Hialeah Police officer. I would give anything to join this dept. but this wasn't always the case. before i even decided that le was somethng i wanted to do i had a drug issue. things are obviously different know. i'm a cj major, live straight as an arrow and i feel that having had this issue makes me want this so much more because i know first hand what it does to people. now my question is about the polygraph are you allowed to fail and retake or are you permanently dq'd for failing? i know this sounds bad because it's already assumed that i will be lying but i don't know if i can tell the truth. this doesn't mean that i'm a dishonest person or that i would be a dishonest police officer. actually it's completely teh opposite but i feel that if i tell the truth i will never get a chance .i have one friend in le and he tells me to tell the truth and i will be fine. i have another friend in le he tells me that i can't give up what they can't prove because i have no record. any suggestions? can you transfer over from another state? anyone know what the requirements for certification would be in that case? any replys would be greatly appreciated. be safe and thank you for all you guys do.

What kind of drugs? How long ago were they used? How old were you when you used? These are all questions you will be asked. Pot is really the only thing most departments will over look. But it also depends on the circumstances the drugs were used. I have 2 weeks left in the academy and I know first hand what its like to take a polygraph. I have also taken a voice stress test. I agree with your friend, tell the truth. Departments want to see if you will be honest. A LEO friend told me to tell the truth but dont tell them everything you have ever done because we all have skeletons in the closet. But when it comes to the drug issue tell the truth. Dont let this discourage you, if this is what you want to do then go for it. Most of the time if you fail a polygraph thats where they will end the process and you will be out. Answer the questions honestly and dont think about anything else while you are taking the test and you should be fine. GOOD LUCK.
    "Blessed are the peacemakers, For they shall be called sons of God" Matthew 5:9

Comment

It's always best to tell the truth, don't let them catch you in a lie or you're done for sure. While officially they can't dq you for failing a poly, if you do you're done with them. Also remember that whatever you tell them on your application and all interviews including the one conducted before your poly goes on record and if you change your story later you'll prob have problems there and with any other agency that you apply to that checks with the agencies you previously applied with. I'm in the academy now and trust me I know it can be a tough process, but just tell the truth and live with whatever comes of it. Don't get discouraged and don't put all your eggs in one basket because you don't always get your first choice. Just keep applying and if it's supposed to happen it will. Good luck to you.

Comment

thanks to the both f you for your input. well they were hard drugs and I used frequently have been clean for a year and some odd months now. I would love to tell the dept the truth and just show them how I've changed and all that I have to offer now but they're not going to see it that way. They're just going to pass me up for someone who hasn't done any drugs because well hey, respect to them, they deserve it. 302 congratulations. i wish you the best. what dpt? you guys know how it works say if i'm certified in NY or another sate and want to transfer to FL?

Comment

I’ve heard this same story from many expiring to be police officers even those whom I have arrested.

This job is about who you are and who you were; there’s no getting around that. I know of several hardcore users who lie about their drug use in the polygraph, passed and yes they were hired. But trust me the past can come back to hunt you and for one officer who I know personally, it did in court in a drug bust.

Cannabis use is what most departments will let slide just as long as the age and time is right. Hardcore drugs, especially recent use, are a sure disqualification. You can’t even get into a self-sponsor academy with hardcore drug use past.

As far as out of state certified leo’s, according to FL statute 943131(2), as long as the equivalency of Training (equal training) is accepted; they are allow to take the FDLE State Exam for State Certification.

Comment

I am in a similar situation but did 3 different drugs. Two of them twice and one of them once. That was over 5 years ago and I am still having trouble getting hired. My standards expired because every time I went to a Dept. there would be 4 openings and 20 applicants. Who do you think gets eliminated first? Me of course.

Now I am going for the FHP. I just took the PAT for the second time. Did it last year and got the "thanks but no thanks" letter. I am expecting the letter again any day now. But you never know. I may get my chance. Like I said it has been over 5 years.

Good Luck to you.

Comment

The big problem with prior drug use is the incredibly high recitivism rate. Being clean and sober for 1,2 or 3 years means little. A city will not invest that much money and time into someone who might relapse. There are other civic jobs available and perhaps even a non-sworn position that might be better suited to you. I applaude your effort and desire, but the reality is that you need to focus yout attention to another line of work and avoid the frustration.
              Jerry
              "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by jerrymaccauley
                The big problem with prior drug use is the incredibly high recitivism rate. Being clean and sober for 1,2 or 3 years means little. A city will not invest that much money and time into someone who might relapse. There are other civic jobs available and perhaps even a non-sworn position that might be better suited to you. I applaude your effort and desire, but the reality is that you need to focus yout attention to another line of work and avoid the frustration.
                I’ve seen some studies from different universities and it shows that hardcore users have a high relapse rate. Also study shows that cannabis users have a higher relapse rate than any other illegal drug.

PSA is a start that could lead to a leo job if you prove yourself. I’ve come across some high-speed low drag PSA’s that I wonder why weren’t cops and I later found out that they had some contact with drugs in their past.

Comment

Originally posted by pcbguy
                  I am in a similar situation but did 3 different drugs. Two of them twice and one of them once. That was over 5 years ago and I am still having trouble getting hired. My standards expired because every time I went to a Dept. there would be 4 openings and 20 applicants. Who do you think gets eliminated first? Me of course.

Now I am going for the FHP. I just took the PAT for the second time. Did it last year and got the "thanks but no thanks" letter. I am expecting the letter again any day now. But you never know. I may get my chance. Like I said it has been over 5 years.

Good Luck to you.
                  The biggest problem as a leo is that you are guarantee to come in contact with several schedule drugs in the street. During a regular week I usually confiscate from 150 to 180 ounces of cannabis. Granted (officer’s honor) that I put most of it for destruction or for supply for usage by the tac units. Now I’ve never used illegal drugs nor do I have any drive in my bone to even try some. But not everybody feels that way. Some that had some usage (some, not all) might decide to keep a % for personal use. Any agency who have experience leo’s in the hiring boards know how things go down in real time. They are not going to sign off on a person who has or had some type of hardcore drug usage.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8714 users online. 408 members and 8306 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                  X