300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice guys

Currently living in NJ. Looking to start my career and i've always loved florida. I have a BA in Criminal Justice and a second BA in psychology. The only thing is with the commute i don't want to be wasting my time with garbage departments. I've heard a lot of rumbeling about various departments through various forums. Any advice in terms of departments, FHP? Sheriff's vs PD. etc. Also, i'd really like to get involved in Maritime Law Enforcement. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.
    -KB-

Which area of florida do you like? We can start there.

Comment

Well I was thinking along the east coast. Ideally i'm looking to get a house near the water(those inlet houses are prime) and looking for a decent paying department. It's just that in NJ the sheriff's dept. just deals with the courts and jails. So i don't know much bout the inner workings of them down there. More towards central florida. So i guess central eastern florida.

Comment

Well I don't know much about the east coast, because i live on the west. If your looking for marine patrol the best would probaly be the state. Other departments at least on this coast it is a well sought job, which means a long wait. If your open to the east coast i would recomend a sheriffs office. Hillsborough county is a great dept. Along with Pinellas and Manatee counties.

Comment

I think he meant if you are open to the west coast. Hope you have a lot of money or sugar momma if you plan to live near the beach. Housing in Florida is out of control, and the closer you get to the water, the more expensive it gets. I really couldn't help you as far as a unit for marine patrol. That is a speciality unit just like K-9, SWAT, etc... So competition for any openings will be tight, and probably not come along all that often.

From what I've seen, SO seems to be the way to go in Fl. Most of your city agencies are smaller in size and don't offer as many opportunities as a SO would. I think pretty much every SO offers take home cars, and it seems to be hit or miss with city agencies. Pay varies between the different agencies. Some counties the SO pays more, others the smaller city agencies do. Guess just all depends on what you're looking for in the long run. Good luck.
          sigpic

Comment

Well I can only tell you about state agencies. Sounds like you might be interested in looking at FWC (Florida Wildlife Commision). Its a agood agency to work for promotions are fairly easy, the have openings in all parts of the state, and you get a boat and pickup.

Comment

Well Law Enforcement has always been my dream. I don't know so much about wildlife enforcement. (although i will explore it) What about FHP? Do you know anything about them? I've heard a lot of mixed opinions between SO's and LE. Any guidance?

Comment

I've heard the pay scale for FHP really sucks. But then again, you really aren't going to make a ton of money in Florida being a cop. I just couldn't see myself only doing traffic for the next 20+ years. As for the east coast, I've heard really good things about Palm Beach County. Would have applied there, but have to be tobacco free for a year prior to submitting app. For the west coast, I've heard good things about Collier, Hillsborough, Pinellas, and Sarasota.
                sigpic

Comment

Departments in Florida

In my opinion, in the long run, the Sheriff's office is the way to go. Hillsborough county sponsors all the time, a cousin of mine recently graduated academy and he says they seem to take care of their people pretty good. I like city police, but you obviously have jurisdiction only in that city wich in some cases means less "BS", departments like Tarpon Springs starting pay, is higher than some Sheriff's departments but then again there are more areas you can work in with the Sheriff.

I don't know how old you are but Also keep in mind that you can sacrifice a couple of years doing patrol or whatever you like then transfer positions or even departments to get into what you really want.

As for FHP, it's cool but... theres always a but... like Airforcop said all you do is traffic, so it can get pretty monotonous, although we can use more cops doing traffic, you should see these drivers

I come from northeast myself and it's different here in terms of law enforcement. The real state police here is the Sheriff's Dept. as opposed to up north where they just deal with the jails. Sorry for going on and on, I hope this helps.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4369 users online. 210 members and 4159 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X