300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion: Tactical vest vs Normal Uniform

Just curious on everyone's opinion about the tactical vest or the normal professional uniform for patrol?

I personally like the tactical vest because it allows a lot of the pressure off your back.

I like Boca Raton PD Delray Beach PD patrol tactical uniforms.
    Tactical
    87.50%
    Normal
    12.50%

I like the tactical better because like you said it takes the wait off the lower back. It distributes the weight better, and coming from the military im use to the tactical vest and is load out.

Comment

Yeah, because you need all that crap, thigh holsters, etc every day... It's important to look like Hollywood.

Comment

Policing now days seems like who is the next officer male or female model. They buy the coolest gadgets to look super tactical, cause they are super cool. These super tactical guys never done a days work in policing cause they think they are to super cool tactical to deal with it.

Then you have the uniform model, who's uniforms are so tight you wonder how they get out of a patrol car without their sleeves tearing. I laugh when I see a 5'7 160 pound officer who is skinny with the tightest shirt, with his hair so greased and shiny with soul glo and those aviator glasses. You then wonder if he is there for your call of service or if techno all of sudden plays in the background will he start stripping.

Just come to work look professional whether it be tac vest or uniform. Not a model competition or who out tactical tacticals the other tactical guy because he talked tactical to you and you didn't want to sound dumb on tacticals so you youtubed all things tactical to talk tactical with that tactical vest guy.

Comment

I've worn both and there are advantage to the tactical vest and disadvantages. The disadvantages are IMO are to many was for a person to grab on to you, yeah I've heard the why is someone that close well let's be real it does happen and when they grab on to you and depending on the tac vest they can have a good hold. The other it can be difficult to draw from the hip especially if your in a car, atleast this is what we've found with our agency.

Advantage is when writing reports at the station on a real hot day the tac vest can come off other then that it doesn't matter to me

Comment

Not only is it the look factor. It's the separation of the weight factor. And easier on your back.

Comment

Not necessarily. Most cops don't know how to wear gear properly. Tactical vests are for Tac Teams, not street cops or security guards.

Comment

You're a police officer. Old fashioned button down short sleeve shirt is what all patrolman should be wearing.

It's annoying hearing all the whining at work about how the tac vests relieve back pain, we should switch over, blah blah. Go to the gym and work out and you won't have to worry about back pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Having worn the "traditional" uniform when I first started and now wearing a tac uniform and vest, I believe that tac vest/uniform is much better. Regardless of some other's opinions, you can still look and be professional with the tac vest/uniform. I don't wear a thigh holster because it's uncomfortable to wear daily, but it's nice having the option to switch back and forth because it is easier. Policing has changed and the world is becoming a more dangerous place, especially now for law enforcement. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I'm glad my department went to it. You do whatever works for you.
                  Last edited by SJR1709; 01-31-2016, 12:16 PM.

Comment

And people wonder WHY there are more attitudes, bad interactions, loss of confidence, etc with LE...

You want to wear Tac gear, have a shaved head and beard, wear tats and wraparound shades, look like a thug: join ISIS.

Comment

I preferred the traditional uniform(even the uniform cap) but then again I came on the job when guns were steel and sticks were wood. I even wore the shirt and tie even though you could wear a turtle neck with the jacket. I never transitioned to the asp, preferring the nice wood nightstick. I can even still twirl it like the old timers taught me. I did buy an asp but it sits in arms reach at my front door. You never know when a Jehovah will go rogue. Wear what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                        And people wonder WHY there are more attitudes, bad interactions, loss of confidence, etc with LE...

You want to wear Tac gear, have a shaved head and beard, wear tats and wraparound shades, look like a thug: join ISIS.
                        Wow, I've never seen someone so passionately against outer carriers.

Per department policy, I have to carry ALL issued equipment that is meant to be worn on the duty belt. I'm not a big guy and don't have the real estate around my waist. Most of our guys, myself included, are still waiting on tasers yet I have no idea where I'm going to put it if I get it. My belt is packed from one side of the buckle all the way around to the other. Outer carriers give you more options for moving things around. Most of the older guys at my agency will just laugh and say "you just need to gain some weight boy!" Ok...so I have to compromise between being in shape or following policy...got it!

I have yet to meet Otis Campbell, so until then I'm not gonna police like I'm in Mayberry. And "just work out and you won't have to worry about back issues"? There is a plethora of research proving that outer carriers improve your health and no matter how in shape you are, that much weight around your hips isn't good for you. And any agency who would ignore proven research for the sake of how it LOOKS to the public...shame on them. It's also much easier to run and maneuver when your hips aren't loaded down. Say what you want, but this job isn't just shaking hands and kissing babies. The technology and research is there to improve the quality of the job and to argue otherwise is like arguing to go back to 6-shot .38s over semi auto pistols with interchangeable magazines.

Additionally, my agency allows us to train in different divisions, some of which are plain clothes. We do a lot of training on days off and there have been many times when I was in plain clothes on training days and someone didn't have backup for a call so I would back them up. In those situations it would be nice to have my daily outer carrier that has "SHERIFF" written all over it with spare mags and handcuffs and flashlights and anything else I might need.

I could go on and on about the pros to outer carriers and so far the only resounding con I have heard is the "look". Well hell, the public is slowly making it so we can't physically make someone go to jail, so we might as well have that "intimidation" factor on our side if nothing else.

Comment

He said TAC Vest. You are carrying too much crap.

Comment

Yeah what Clemson said

Comment

Opinion: Tactical vest vs Normal Uniform

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                              He said TAC Vest. You are carrying too much crap.
                              "TAC vest" is to an outer carrier like "assault rifle" is to an ar-15. It's the big scary name for the same thing. I carry a gun, mags, tourniquet, handcuffs, glove pouch, flashlight, radio, baton, and OC. That's the minimum we're required to carry, and that's all I can fit by the time you add keepers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2484 users online. 181 members and 2303 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X