Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you support or oppose the Open Carry Bill that is being discussed currently?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you support or oppose the Open Carry Bill that is being discussed currently?

Do you support or oppose the "Open Carry" bill that is in the Legislature currently? It allows for CWL holders to choose either open or concealed carry of handguns only.
    Support
    38.10%
    Oppose
    52.38%
    Does not matter to me either way
    9.52%
    Police Academy Commander
    Lead Firearms Instructor
    35+ years as a cop
    Becoming a Police Officer
    So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

In some ways I support it, but for me generally I would never open carry. Open carrying is different as a civilian then on duty in my opinion (Currently not LEO, but on the way with an agency). Since you're missing that important link to help, the radio and your probably not shopping or distracted by your spouse and kids. All open carrying does is make you the target of a bold individual who doesn't care you're carrying. While it may deter most I wouldn't want to be picking out my favorite ice cream when someone comes in sees me before I see them and starts kicking off rounds.
    Last edited by FITpilot; 01-26-2016, 07:49 AM. Reason: iPhone Grammer

Comment

Besides the 2nd amendment issue, what is the benefit of open carry?

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post

It lets everyone know that a tool has entered the room.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
          I am not advocating either side, just wanting opinions. They say that there are times like hiking, biking, outdoor activities where wearing a concealed firearm is impractical and that also they feel that its a crime deterrent just like our duty weapons are. I am just trying to gather how other officers feel about it.
          Police Academy Commander
          Lead Firearms Instructor
          35+ years as a cop
          Becoming a Police Officer
          So you think you can do this job?

I accept all private messages requesting help or advice, why else bother to be here?

Comment

The biggest reason I support legal open carry is because it protects people who concealed carry and inadvertently display their firearms.
            Originally posted by Michigan
            Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

There is, I believe, a separate bill in the legislature that would modify Florida's stringent no printing requirement. It would remove penalties for the inadvertent display by a licensed person.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowWarrior View Post
                I am not advocating either side, just wanting opinions. They say that there are times like hiking, biking, outdoor activities where wearing a concealed firearm is impractical and that also they feel that its a crime deterrent just like our duty weapons are. I am just trying to gather how other officers feel about it.
                It is already legal to openly carry a firearm if you are hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, and going directly to and from said event. That being serious I'm on the fence about the proposed bill. I believe if it does pass there should be additional requirements such as a secured retention device like LEO use and far more training that is required for the ccw. You should go through weapons r ed retention training and self defense training. I would venture to say 95% of the people that conceal carry out that would open carry would be lost in the sauce if they we involved in a situation were they would need to use there firearm. I am not yet LEO but in the same boat as FITpilot. Personally I would rather carry concealed so that I don't have a target on me. That's my two cents on it.

Comment

I support the 2nd Amendment. I think open carry puts you at a tactical disadvantage but at the end of the day its their decision.

Comment

I disagree. I go to every call with a mindset that everyone has a weapon. And every time I talk to someone I believe they have a weapon, just officer safety rule of thumb. If it passes, there's gonna be a lot of scared citizens who don't know of the open carry law.

Comment

im in support of open carry. I find it to be an advantage to detour potential criminals

Comment

Originally posted by CARBiNOX View Post
                        im in support of open carry. I find it to be an advantage to detour potential criminals
                        Yah, works well....
                        http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/05...d-gun-arizona/

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/02...-gun-virginia/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_5953044.html

Comment

those articles are changing my mind about open carry. that's crazy that some people are more likely to rob people that open carry.

Comment

Cops and armored guards open carry and get shot at all the time. Criminals don't give a crap who has a gun. A criminal will always have the upper hand as they know who their victim is. While I agree that OC is way more comfortable, it is a tactical disadvantage. If you OC you're nothing more than the criminals first target to eliminate.

Comment

Originally posted by CARBiNOX View Post
                              Can you describe this 'advantage' and explain how it would deter potential criminals? Do people fear the known or the unknown more?

If I were a criminal (and I always try to think like one), the first little pudgy bald guy that I saw with his chrome-plated, pearl handled 1911 would be my victim. I would sucker-punch him, take his nice shiny gun and use it kill him, then to rape and plunder everyone else.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6558 users online. 347 members and 6211 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X