Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting hired in the state of Florida with just a police cert and HS dipl.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting hired in the state of Florida with just a police cert and HS dipl.

Hello everyone!

I have a question.

I have plans of some time early 2016 to pay and put myself through a police academy ether in Kissimmee, Orlando or Jacksonville. I don't have a college degree or military experience, so I cant apply with a major city.

I know that if I have a college degree or military under my belt it will help me get hired with a major city but its a long story on why I cant go to college, also I am 30 years old with a wife and three kids and I'm not sure if joining the military at this point of my life if a good idea.

A guy that works in a police agency in south Florida told me not to waste my time and money paying for training if I don't have college, military or police experience under my belt, Even if they say the minimum requirement is a high school diploma they wont even look at you. Is this true?

If I get to attend and earn a police officer certification in the state of Florida, what are my chances of getting hired with township or county police department with just a certification and a High school diploma?

Thank you.

Originally posted by Joey Rivera View Post
    Hello everyone!

I have a question.

I have plans of some time early 2016 to pay and put myself through a police academy ether in Kissimmee, Orlando or Jacksonville. I don't have a college degree or military experience, so I cant apply with a major city.

I know that if I have a college degree or military under my belt it will help me get hired with a major city but its a long story on why I cant go to college, also I am 30 years old with a wife and three kids and I'm not sure if joining the military at this point of my life if a good idea.

A guy that works in a police agency in south Florida told me not to waste my time and money paying for training if I don't have college, military or police experience under my belt, Even if they say the minimum requirement is a high school diploma they wont even look at you. Is this true?

If I get to attend and earn a police officer certification in the state of Florida, what are my chances of getting hired with township or county police department with just a certification and a High school diploma?

Thank you.
    OK. As a Florida LEO for over 10 years, I will take a crack at this. First and foremost, the advise given by the "guy" who works in South Florida is BS. Yes, you have way better chances of becoming a Police Officer if you have a degree or have served in the military, but just because you don't, it doesn't mean it's impossible to get hired. The main thing is your background. As long as you don't have a criminal record and your credit is good, you should pursue your dream or goal. I have met several officers who only had a HS diploma. You might have to apply to smaller departments for a better chance, but even then I would not discourage you from applying to bigger departments. Believe it or not, sometimes departments are looking to hire people with no real experience in order for it to be easier for them to be molded to the department itself. So, like I said, if you have good credit, no criminal or major drug use, then go for it. Paying your way through the academy is good, as it will get you certified. If you have any questions about departments in Central Florida, feel free to ask. Also, if you want a career in Law Enforcement and you are willing to move, then you can apply to certain Federal Law Enforcement jobs which do not require a degree or military experience. Hope this clears your doubts. Best of luck.

Comment

You couldn't giving a better opinion and advise than what you just gave me. This really made me feel happy. I'm originally from Philadelphia PA, and I'm planning on moving to Florida soon. I love the weather and the quality of life in Florida, its great comparing to Philly. In Pennsylvania the self sponsor police academy none as the act 120, has a cost of $6,000 for PA residents and $10,000 for out of state vs Florida that has an average cost between $3,000 and $4,000 for Florida residents, A price that I can definitely cover out of pocket. Plus the standards in PA are higher to get accepted in a police academy school than Fl and that is why I want to pursue my dream of becoming a police officer in the state of Florida. But once again thanks for the advise, I will definitively take it into consideration.
      Last edited by Joey Rivera; 10-27-2015, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey Rivera View Post
        You couldn't giving a better opinion and advise than what you just gave me. This really made me feel happy. I'm originally from Philadelphia PA, and I'm planning on moving to Florida soon. I love the weather and the quality of life in Florida, its great comparing to Philly. In Pennsylvania the self sponsor police academy none as the act 120, has a cost of $6,000 for PA residents and $10,000 for out of state vs Florida that has an average cost between $3,000 and $4,000 for Florida residents, A price that I can definitely cover out of pocket. Plus the standards in PA are higher to get accepted in a police academy school than Fl and that is why I want to pursue my dream of becoming a police officer in the state of Florida. But once again thanks for the advise, I will definitively take it into consideration.
        Turn your Private messages on, I am a LEO near Kissimmee and would like to give you some advice.

Comment

Hey Joey Rivera, check out JOINNOPD.ORG Its not Florida but we have palm trees, citrus, no snow, and a hell of a lot hotter summers. Were hiring 100s of officers. Pay raises kicked in, more to come in 2016. Oh and best of all, the average age here isn't 80!!!!

Comment

I disagree having lived in CFL and applied at two agencies with criminal justice degree along with 2 years experience. Sadly its all about who you know and what you know. If your dad was a cop or one is in your family who works at the same dept your guaranteed in and get the spot over the guy who doesn't have family. Not trying to be a debbie downer but I don't want these guys giving you false hope, sure its possible but is it likely. No...

Also I was not denied I was told they have more qualified candidates...

Hell in another thread we had a member on here who has his masters or BA along with 8 years of patrol and they said he was not qualified enough.
            I don't expect you to know what it takes to deal with what I deal with every day in a high risk area because you've never been swinging in the breeze dealing with XYZ with no qualified immunity to protect everything you own and no cavalry at the end of a radio...

Comment

Originally posted by DEAHEAT View Post
              I disagree having lived in CFL and applied at two agencies with criminal justice degree along with 2 years experience. Sadly its all about who you know and what you know. If your dad was a cop or one is in your family who works at the same dept your guaranteed in and get the spot over the guy who doesn't have family. Not trying to be a debbie downer but I don't want these guys giving you false hope, sure its possible but is it likely. No...

Also I was not denied I was told they have more qualified candidates...

Hell in another thread we had a member on here who has his masters or BA along with 8 years of patrol and they said he was not qualified enough.

I disagree with you. I had my HS diploma and police academy cert and I am a lot younger compared to my zone partners. I was hired in less than two months. I did not know a single soul at the agency I work for.

Is it tough? Yes. But never give up. I applied to 10+ agencies and did not stop till someone hired me. Yes you might look better on paper with a degree or military experience but if you get a chance to interview with anyone at any agency, know your stuff. Study Florida laws even if you're not hired and you'll blow them away. It's not always who and what you know it's what you can prove..... Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by JediWarrior View Post
                I disagree with you. I had my HS diploma and police academy cert and I am a lot younger compared to my zone partners. I was hired in less than two months. I did not know a single soul at the agency I work for.

Is it tough? Yes. But never give up. I applied to 10+ agencies and did not stop till someone hired me. Yes you might look better on paper with a degree or military experience but if you get a chance to interview with anyone at any agency, know your stuff. Study Florida laws even if you're not hired and you'll blow them away. It's not always who and what you know it's what you can prove..... Just my two cents.
                10+ agencies, Jesus...

I don't think I could do that to myself nor see it worth it. What I have realized is the more CFL located agencies seem to be harder to get into while the outside ones are easier. Less population?

I'm happy for you though. May I ask which county or area you work?
                I don't expect you to know what it takes to deal with what I deal with every day in a high risk area because you've never been swinging in the breeze dealing with XYZ with no qualified immunity to protect everything you own and no cavalry at the end of a radio...

Comment

Hell I applied to 5 agencies and went through the process twice with FWC before I got an offer. And I have military and college experience! Im non certified though. Sometimes you just have to prove you're motivated enough. I did apply to one department that "had bettet qualified applicants" who were 20-21, but had done internships with the department. Now I am sitting here just waiting to get passed the paperwork and start the academy in March! If you have a good background NEVER GIVE UP! Some people just have it easier then others!

Comment

It's a rat race down here that's for sure. I've got a B.A., great driving record, good credit, solid work history, and clean background. Still haven't had any luck getting hired. Applied to 10 agencies over the past 4 years (multiple times to 1 agency) got invited to oral boards with 4 of the agencies got really close with one of them but didn't get the final nod to advance to the psych. If I had the money and didn't have to work for 6 months I'd put myself through the academy. However, if you want it bad enough keep pressing. It's not just Florida either, a friend of my brother up in Maryland decided he wanted to be a firefighter when he was 24 and didn't get hired on till he was 31! It's not over to you say it is. A college degree and military are great but they aren't everything. You've got life experience going for you, you're older and you've got a family you just need to find the right agency and the right situation to sell yourself. Good luck.

Comment

Just hurts when up north they run things so much differently.

Comment

I've applied to 3 agencies one of which I've applied to 3 times (FWC) and just now got a conditional offer. I've been trying for about two years or so. I do have military experience bit no college. Sometimes it tales longer for some than it does others. I have a buddy with no military experience and only a couple of semesters of college and was hired by the second agency he applied for. If you ate wanting to get sponsored it may be a little tougher to get am agency for the simple reason that they have to invest more money into you. But keep on applying, if your rejected 20 times apply 21 more times. Best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by DEAHEAT View Post
                          10+ agencies, Jesus...

I don't think I could do that to myself nor see it worth it. What I have realized is the more CFL located agencies seem to be harder to get into while the outside ones are easier. Less population?

I'm happy for you though. May I ask which county or area you work?
                          I think south Florida agencies are the hardest. And I work in Osceola county.

And yes, agencies that are not near big cities, you have better chances because not everyone and their mother wants to work there. But anywhere you can get out of the academy is great because you get the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Roller2200 View Post
                            Hey Joey Rivera, check out JOINNOPD.ORG Its not Florida but we have palm trees, citrus, no snow, and a hell of a lot hotter summers. Were hiring 100s of officers. Pay raises kicked in, more to come in 2016. Oh and best of all, the average age here isn't 80!!!!
                            How does it work if you're certified in another State? still gotta go thru the Academy?

Comment

Originally posted by Roller2200 View Post
                              Gonna take a look. I have about 13 LEO years but have been out since 2001. I want to get back in but most likely not in Florida. I will check out NOPD.

Thanks for the post.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2543 users online. 182 members and 2361 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X