Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Departments/agencies that offer training?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Departments/agencies that offer training?

Hello, I am newer to the site but have looked around for quite some time. I am interested in getting into LEO, and was wondering if anyone knows of agencies/departments along the atlantic coast that offer an academy or sponsor for one?
    Last edited by E_K82; 07-05-2015, 10:54 PM.

You need to attend a police academy. Sponsored or self-paid it's a must.
    You've got some research to do

Comment

Thats what I am referring to, I'm aware that academy is needed and was wondering who offers it.... Im doing my research which is part of my post. I've reworded my posting, thank you.
      Last edited by E_K82; 07-05-2015, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Your question makes no sense. Still...

How old are you?
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

This is a great place to ask for help and get answers, but you're not going to get the answers you're looking for when you are asking us to do your work for you. The atlantic coast is EXTREMELY broad. Florida has (WAY TOO) many academy's out there. You're going to have to put the effort in and find out yourself.

I would start at www.google.com
          search for
          "Law Enforcement academy near (city name)". You'll get your answer.

Please don't let this deter you from asking questions on this site, just make sure you put in the effort first.

I too am curious about your age...?

Comment

This definitely won't deter me from asking questions. Not sure what is confusing about my question other than its very broad perhaps?? The information I was/am looking for is just about departments that might have or offer sponsorship for the academy to new recruits. I know FSHP has an academy but was not sure if there are others in the Melbourne or Palm Beach area (to be specific). I would much rather get on with a department that will pay me while in academy or pay for it rather than foot the bill myself. If I need to foot the bill then I will but just wanted to see what's out there before I go that route. Hope this cleared up my question?

Why my age???
            Last edited by E_K82; 07-06-2015, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Realistically most agencies rarely sponsor anybody, I was fortunate to be given a full sponsorship. I heard Melbourne Police Department is sponsoring cadets. A majority of candidates are self-sponsored. Unless you have something to offer a agency that they desperately need, a sponsorship will not be easy to come by. Start calling agencies and inquiring, that's the only way you'll find out what you're seeking.

Here is a list of every police academy in the State of Florida:
              https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content...g-Centers.aspx

Good luck.
              There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
              -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Your question was already touched on. We don't know what each and every agency offers. YOU will have to call and ask.

I did a Google search with your question and came up with academies AND their starting dates....Why can't you?

Palm Beach State College offers an Academy 822 hrs total.

"The following minimum requirements for entry into the Basic Recruit Training Academies for Law Enforcement and Corrections at Palm Beach State College have been established through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission and the Region XII Training Council. These requirements apply to all individuals who are seeking to sponsor themselves in the academy.

Be able to complete the entire academy program with the scheduled time frame.
                Be at least 19 years of age.
                Be a citizen of the United States.
                Be a high school graduate or its "equivalent" as the commission has defined the term by rule. Certified transcripts required."

DETAILED APPLICATION PROCESS

STEP 1 - Submit a Non-Degree/Non-Credit application for admission to Palm Beach State College. This will begin the application process and enter your name and information into Palm Beach State College's student records system.

STEP 2 - Contact the Testing Center on the Lake Worth campus (561.868.3012) for instructions on how to proceed to take the Basic Abilities Test (BAT). The BAT Test is required for all Law Enforcement and Corrections Academy applicants. Be sure of what test you need to take and advise the Testing Center before you take the test. The testing fee is $45.00. If you are interested in materials to help you prepare for the BAT test, please see this web site).

STEP 3 - Request or download a Physicians Clearance to Test Form. The form must be completed by a licensed physician. The costs are to be paid by the applicant. Return the form to the Criminal Justice Administration office (PSC 100) at least the day before of the test. Register and pay online for a test date (How to register for PAT). A passing score is valid for six months.

STEP 4 - If the applicant passes the Basic Abilities Tes (BAT), and the Physical Agility Test (PAT), the self sponsored student will receive a Personal History Questionnaire and a medical packet to complete and return to the Criminal Justice Institute. Once both are completed and returned a personal interview will be conducted. If the applicant is accepted into the self-sponsoring process, Phase One, the background investigation will begin.

SELECTION CENTER APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED MON-THURS 10AM-12PM AND 2PM-4PM

STEP 5 - Polygraph and Psychological examination.

STEP 6 - After completion of the above steps, the applicant and his/her file will be reviewed for acceptance into the next available requested academy program. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE OF ACCEPTANCE, EVEN IF A STUDENT MEETS ALL SELECTION CRITERIA. The Selection Center will follow the standard criteria set forth by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice Standards Training Commission as outlined in 943.13 Florida Statutes, IIB of the Florida Administrative Code, and the Region XII Training Council.
                GENERAL & COST INFORMATION

The Selection Center is for prospective law enforcement and corrections officers who wish to enter the Basic Law Enforcement or Basic Corrections Academies. The Selection Center is not a hiring agency.

The Law Enforcement Academy is approximately 27 weeks, Monday through Thursday 7:00am to 5:30pm (times vary according to instructional guidelines). The total tuition and materials fee is approximately $4000 for Florida residents. Students must provide proof of Florida residency. For out-of-state applicants, tuition is substantially higher.

The Corrections Academy is approximately 16 weeks, Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm (times vary according to instructional guidelines). The total tuition and materials fee is approximately $2,000 for Florida Residents. Students must provide proof of Florida residency.

Additional costs will include, but are not limited to, the cost of uniforms at approximately $300.00

*All fees are subject to change without notice.

STUDENTS APPLYING FOR CROSSOVER TRAINING, AND COMPARATIVE COMPLIANCE COURSES WILL BE SUBJECT TO SOME OR ALL PORTIONS OF THE SELECTION PROCESS DEPENDING ON THEIR EMPLOYMENT STATUS.

This took all of 5-6 seconds to find.

As I said above, if you're looking to be sponsored (good idea to save money) then you will need to:

A) Call the agency you're interested in
                B) Go to the agency website and it will tell you if they're hiring or more specifically hiring for positions to put through the academy.

For some reason South FL is more likely to have sponsorship positions versus north FL, but this is not always the case. It's very expensive for an agency to sponsor people who will more than likely wash out somewhere between the academy, SOCE, FTO or probation.
                Last edited by Jo060; 07-06-2015, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Silentfaith View Post
                  Realistically most agencies rarely sponsor anybody, I was fortunate to be given a full sponsorship. I heard Melbourne Police Department is sponsoring cadets. A majority of candidates are self-sponsored. Unless you have something to offer a agency that they desperately need, a sponsorship will not be easy to come by. Start calling agencies and inquiring, that's the only way you'll find out what you're seeking.

Here is a list of every police academy in the State of Florida:
                  https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content...g-Centers.aspx

Good luck.
                  THANK YOU Silentfaith!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jo060 View Post
                    Your question was already touched on. We don't know what each and every agency offers. YOU will have to call and ask.

I did a Google search with your question and came up with academies AND their starting dates....Why can't you?

Palm Beach State College offers an Academy 822 hrs total.

"The following minimum requirements for entry into the Basic Recruit Training Academies for Law Enforcement and Corrections at Palm Beach State College have been established through the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission and the Region XII Training Council. These requirements apply to all individuals who are seeking to sponsor themselves in the academy.

Be able to complete the entire academy program with the scheduled time frame.
                    Be at least 19 years of age.
                    Be a citizen of the United States.
                    Be a high school graduate or its "equivalent" as the commission has defined the term by rule. Certified transcripts required."

DETAILED APPLICATION PROCESS

STEP 1 - Submit a Non-Degree/Non-Credit application for admission to Palm Beach State College. This will begin the application process and enter your name and information into Palm Beach State College's student records system.

STEP 2 - Contact the Testing Center on the Lake Worth campus (561.868.3012) for instructions on how to proceed to take the Basic Abilities Test (BAT). The BAT Test is required for all Law Enforcement and Corrections Academy applicants. Be sure of what test you need to take and advise the Testing Center before you take the test. The testing fee is $45.00. If you are interested in materials to help you prepare for the BAT test, please see this web site).

STEP 3 - Request or download a Physicians Clearance to Test Form. The form must be completed by a licensed physician. The costs are to be paid by the applicant. Return the form to the Criminal Justice Administration office (PSC 100) at least the day before of the test. Register and pay online for a test date (How to register for PAT). A passing score is valid for six months.

STEP 4 - If the applicant passes the Basic Abilities Tes (BAT), and the Physical Agility Test (PAT), the self sponsored student will receive a Personal History Questionnaire and a medical packet to complete and return to the Criminal Justice Institute. Once both are completed and returned a personal interview will be conducted. If the applicant is accepted into the self-sponsoring process, Phase One, the background investigation will begin.

SELECTION CENTER APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED MON-THURS 10AM-12PM AND 2PM-4PM

STEP 5 - Polygraph and Psychological examination.

STEP 6 - After completion of the above steps, the applicant and his/her file will be reviewed for acceptance into the next available requested academy program. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE OF ACCEPTANCE, EVEN IF A STUDENT MEETS ALL SELECTION CRITERIA. The Selection Center will follow the standard criteria set forth by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Criminal Justice Standards Training Commission as outlined in 943.13 Florida Statutes, IIB of the Florida Administrative Code, and the Region XII Training Council.
                    GENERAL & COST INFORMATION

The Selection Center is for prospective law enforcement and corrections officers who wish to enter the Basic Law Enforcement or Basic Corrections Academies. The Selection Center is not a hiring agency.

The Law Enforcement Academy is approximately 27 weeks, Monday through Thursday 7:00am to 5:30pm (times vary according to instructional guidelines). The total tuition and materials fee is approximately $4000 for Florida residents. Students must provide proof of Florida residency. For out-of-state applicants, tuition is substantially higher.

The Corrections Academy is approximately 16 weeks, Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm (times vary according to instructional guidelines). The total tuition and materials fee is approximately $2,000 for Florida Residents. Students must provide proof of Florida residency.

Additional costs will include, but are not limited to, the cost of uniforms at approximately $300.00

*All fees are subject to change without notice.

STUDENTS APPLYING FOR CROSSOVER TRAINING, AND COMPARATIVE COMPLIANCE COURSES WILL BE SUBJECT TO SOME OR ALL PORTIONS OF THE SELECTION PROCESS DEPENDING ON THEIR EMPLOYMENT STATUS.

This took all of 5-6 seconds to find.

As I said above, if you're looking to be sponsored (good idea to save money) then you will need to:

A) Call the agency you're interested in
                    B) Go to the agency website and it will tell you if they're hiring or more specifically hiring for positions to put through the academy.

For some reason South FL is more likely to have sponsorship positions versus north FL, but this is not always the case. It's very expensive for an agency to sponsor people who will more than likely wash out somewhere between the academy, SOCE, FTO or probation.
                    Though I would see if anyone had first had experience with the info I was looking for that could offer some insight. Thanks for your help as well.

Comment

It's because the question was pretty stupid for an adult. These forums have provided ALL the answers, if, as you say, you've been reading them. I can't understand how you would not be able to figure out such a basic thing.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                        It's because the question was pretty stupid for an adult. These forums have provided ALL the answers, if, as you say, you've been reading them. I can't understand how you would not be able to figure out such a basic thing.

Again, looking for first hand information which you clearly do not have. The Adult thing to do would be to move on if you cannot provide substantial information.

Why bash someone for asking a simple question? Which wasn't a difficult question to understand in the first place (other than using training vs academy). Being an adult I would hope you can gather context clues from the information being provided to form a valid response other than "that's a pretty stupid question for an adult".

Comment

Originally posted by E_K82 View Post
                          Though I would see if anyone had first had experience with the info I was looking for that could offer some insight. Thanks for your help as well.
                          It's always better to get this type of info from the source versus someone else...things change.
                          Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo060 View Post
                            It's always better to get this type of info from the source versus someone else...things change.
                            Good luck to you.
                            Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by E_K82 View Post
                              This definitely won't deter me from asking questions. Not sure what is confusing about my question other than its very broad perhaps?? The information I was/am looking for is just about departments that might have or offer sponsorship for the academy to new recruits. I know FSHP has an academy but was not sure if there are others in the Melbourne or Palm Beach area (to be specific). I would much rather get on with a department that will pay me while in academy or pay for it rather than foot the bill myself. If I need to foot the bill then I will but just wanted to see what's out there before I go that route. Hope this cleared up my question?

Why my age???
                              There's nothing wrong with coming on here and asking questions, kinda what it's here for. It's probably better in the future to ask specific questions for specific answers. Broad questions don't help your cause. Anyway, I can't tell you about Melbourne, but being that I do work in Palm Beach County I can tell you that there are several agencies hiring and many will sponsor you through the academy, including my own in southern Palm Beach County. You need to do your research though in each area you are interested in and find departments you'd like to apply to because they are all not the same at all. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask. Good luck to you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5129 users online. 289 members and 4840 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X