Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Highway Patrol Overtime Opportunities

Good Evening Everyone,

I'm currently in the process with FHP and had a few questions about overtime.If I'm placed in Orlando after the academy how are the overtime options with this troop? Is there lot's of overtime available? If so, what types? Soar? Hireback? Also, how are the off duty overtime options in this location. If there are any active troopers on this thread how many overtime hours do you work per week? Would it be realistic to say I could work more than 10 hours of OT per week in Orlando? Also, from experience what troop in Florida has the most overtime offerings? Thank you all for your responses.

How about you just concentrate on getting hired and passing the academy and then FTO. Your question is irrelevant at this time.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• BrooklynBlues
      BrooklynBlues commented
      Editing a comment
      You are just sick. Full of misery and anger, i hope you are not in LE and if you are please seek help before you get your partner killed, ppl asking financial questions because they have bills to pay what's wrong with planning? you are a ignorant moron on a bullying mission on hopeful recruits. you are the least motivated thing i have seen in my life, you're like a cancer.. everywhere on every forum on every topic you're injectiing your toxicness please get help.

Thank you.

Everyone.

• CCCSD
      CCCSD commented
      Editing a comment
      So you necropost a FIVE year old thread because you’re a wannabe who isn’t even involved in this discussion?

EPIC Retardeness. Epic.

• BrooklynBlues
      BrooklynBlues commented
      Editing a comment
      No dummy, i have some time On and came across your trash while trying to help a buddy out.

I agree with the the above poster. Not to be a dick, but it doesn't sound like you're even hired yet? Once you've been hired, complete the academy, clear FTO and your probationary period, you can worry about overtime.

Comment

The guy asked a simple question, dont have be a ****** about it....just saying

Comment

No. It's a stupid question. WTF does OT have to do with the application process... If his main goal is getting paid OT, instead of doing his primary job, he needs to stop trying to be a cop.

Over spending and getting into debt are major causes of cops getting into trouble.
        Last edited by CCCSD; 06-02-2015, 11:59 PM.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I seen it as someone asking about OT/side gigs....but whatever you think, dont have to be a jerk though, just saying

He could be trying to budget or get his finances in line for the assignment he wants and trying to make sure he doesn't go over budget and get "into trouble". I just do not understand why people get crushed on here for asking simple questions or making remarks about certain topics.

Does it really matter?

Comment

What it is..... is a guy looking at the starting pay and trying to balance doing what he wants to do combined with "how the heck and I going to live on that?" Its like starting a marriage. I don't care who you are....nobody says "I do" without wanting to know all the facts. And even then, not without some .0001% of "I hope this works." Ive been doing this cop thing almost 20yrs. When I started I was very much into the mindset of "all or nothing... I don't care what I get paid... just hire me!"

Now..... Ive seen people come and go out of this profession for many reasons. Nobody knows anything about this guy or his mindset. He asked a question about a specific area. You want to see a ****ed off cop? Find a cop who cant enjoy himself off duty because he cant make a living. Lets face it, pay for troopers is almost criminal. Pay for cops in FL as a majority is ridiculous. You absolutely MUST have to have a interest in public service to even want to start the process.

Now, to the original poster...... I don't know that answer. I don't work for FHP. But what i can tell you is that relying on OT is a very dangerous road. Look at the absolute base pay. If that isn't something you can make work, then you need to look around at a better paying agency. I know plenty of cops who must have OT to survive and they are miserable. Obviously people can do it because there are loads of FHP cops making it work.

Now, as a supervisor I don't want a guy full of **** and vinegar who just wants to do this at all costs. I need a person who has that drive combined with the common sense to know all the facts before they dive in, waste thousands of my training dollars and set me back a year on the calendar when he decides this isnt for him and now I have to start over from scratch. The hiring, academy and FTO it takes me about 18 months from the day I start looking at your package to finally get back a finished product that I can use. Now combine the time that I actually NEEDED you vs when HR decided to recruit. Im now looking at a vacancy that has existed for probably close to 2 years before I can get it filled. So please..... do all of us middle managers a favor and do your research before you set me back a couple years because you didnt realize you couldnt pay your bills on what we told you that you would be paid.

Comment

FlyingPig - Check your PMs whenever you get a chance please.
              And maybe remind the few, if ill of us they speak, that we are all that stands between the monsters and the weak.

Comment

Im already married... but your PM was sweet HAAAAAA!

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
                  Im already married... but your PM was sweet HAAAAAA!
                  I guess I'm looking for love in all the wrong places. But you never know unless you try! LOL
                  And maybe remind the few, if ill of us they speak, that we are all that stands between the monsters and the weak.

Comment

To the OP I also do not know the answer to your question. But I believe there will be plenty of opportunities for OT in that area. I lived there for three years and constantly saw troopers doing OT. You are not wrong for doing your research up front. Like a previous poster mentioned, do not depend on any OT for your financial support. It should be discretionary income that supplements your income. Alot of guys burn out because they never take the uniform off. Just be conscious of that fact. Our profession does allow one to accomplish certain monetary goals due to the accessibility of OT. Just be responsible.

Comment

Work as little OT as possible while you're on probation. Don't give them a reason to fire you.

The more OT you work the more exposure you have to a complaint, use of force, or even an OIS. Don't go down that road.

Once you're off probation work as much as you want.

Get hired first.
                      It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5977 users online. 312 members and 5665 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Today.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X