300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Highway Patrol

I am currently a certified LEO in the state of Alabama and work for a municipal department. I want to and have wanted to work as a State Trooper for some time. I only enjoy Traffic Enforcement and Accident Investigation. I'm testing for FHP next month and am looking for some insight into the department. Pros and Cons. I understand the money is not great, but you don't get into LE for the money. I'm more interested in things such as equipment and work environment. Also what's the deal with CVE Trooper? Are you recruited as a CVE or do they assign you to it out of the academy? Do you have a choice in just being a regular road trooper? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

When I went through the FPSI last year, I spoke with several FHP training officers. As it was explained to me, everyone starts out as a trooper, then after a period of time (probation and so on), you are able to lateral into an opening on the CVE side.

Although, I have been told by more than one CVE officer, that since retirees are now outpacing new hires, you're given the choice when you complete your training.

HtH

Comment

Originally posted by RavenTBK View Post
      When I went through the FPSI last year, I spoke with several FHP training officers. As it was explained to me, everyone starts out as a trooper, then after a period of time (probation and so on), you are able to lateral into an opening on the CVE side.

Although, I have been told by more than one CVE officer, that since retirees are now outpacing new hires, you're given the choice when you complete your training.

HtH
      Thanks for the information. I understand the need for CVE, but I would rather be a regular road Trooper.

Comment

I think you will get the best information from contacting the recruiters directly, they typically will answer any and all questions via phone/email.

http://beatrooper.com/

Good luck
        There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
        -Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Silentfaith View Post
          I think you will get the best information from contacting the recruiters directly, they typically will answer any and all questions via phone/email.

http://beatrooper.com/

Good luck
          Thanks for the info.

Comment

Pay is not everything but does play a big part in life, am I wrong?

Comment

you want a pay cut with no chance of a raise...FHP is for you.
              September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

We had our pay issues where I worked. I was in a great unit that I loved. I left that unit to eliminate commuting expenses. When you are struggling to pay bills you wont be happy, not even in your dream job.
                Last edited by BNWS; 03-03-2015, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Exactly....

Comment

You will only have this issue when living in south florida. Location location location. Cost of living outside of south florida, pay evens out. I know troopers that are not living in section 8 with fhp pay, they are actually living preety comfy. Cant live outside your means.

You also have to start somewhere guys. From FHP you can lateral over to antoher department of your liking.

Comment

Originally posted by JuniorCop13 View Post
                      You will only have this issue when living in south florida. Location location location. Cost of living outside of south florida, pay evens out. I know troopers that are not living in section 8 with fhp pay, they are actually living preety comfy. Cant live outside your means.

You also have to start somewhere guys. From FHP you can lateral over to antoher department of your liking.

Not precisely, what about Martin co St lucie co Brevard co? Houses or apartments in a decent area is not 600-700 monthly or mortgage. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, if it's all about location, providing for a family is the same amount no matter if you're in Monroe co or Duval co..

All I'm saying is it's hard to provide for a family on that salary.

Comment

Originally posted by JediWarrior View Post
                        Not precisely, what about Martin co St lucie co Brevard co? Houses or apartments in a decent area is not 600-700 monthly or mortgage. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, if it's all about location, providing for a family is the same amount no matter if you're in Monroe co or Duval co..

All I'm saying is it's hard to provide for a family on that salary.
                        My man central/ west coast florida and up things get cheaper( ie car insurance Miami($150-200) ft myers ($50) property taxes south fla > central and up also property insurance is a lot hiring here down south than it is in other parts of the state. No you wont be rolling in a benz but you wont be starving living under a bridge.

Also, in a family considering people situations there is a husband and wife that both work, combined salary of any amount will help than just 1 salary to support a family. I get what your saying I really do but your making this agency sound like it gives minimum wage and one will starve.

Comment

Originally posted by JuniorCop13 View Post
                          My man central/ west coast florida and up things get cheaper( ie car insurance Miami($150-200) ft myers ($50) property taxes south fla > central and up also property insurance is a lot hiring here down south than it is in other parts of the state. No you wont be rolling in a benz but you wont be starving living under a bridge.

Also, in a family considering people situations there is a husband and wife that both work, combined salary of any amount will help than just 1 salary to support a family. I get what your saying I really do but your making this agency sound like it gives minimum wage and one will starve.

The last thing I wanted to do was make any agency look bad, we're all law enforcement here and we are all set out to do one thing. All I was saying is that it is tough living on that salary and let alone provide for a family. That's all I was saying "my man".

Comment

Originally posted by JediWarrior View Post
                            The last thing I wanted to do was make any agency look bad, we're all law enforcement here and we are all set out to do one thing. All I was saying is that it is tough living on that salary and let alone provide for a family. That's all I was saying "my man".
                            no problem buddy understood.. its tough but its do able. you know but as I said this is a stepping stone and once you get your experience then you lateral over to another department you know.

Comment

you will qualify for food stamps and housing assistance.
                              September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6534 users online. 340 members and 6194 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X