300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tampa Airport Police

Does anybody have any information on Tampa airport police? What do they do? is it a good job? etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by Retire Soon View Post
    Does anybody have any information on Tampa airport police? What do they do? is it a good job? etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    They police the airport. Is it a good job? That depends. I personally think it'd be boring being confined to the airport grounds. But if you're looking for a foot in the door to activate your certification or you're retired and looking for a cushy job, it's probably good for you. They hire through the Hillsborough County Civil Service Commission. From what I have heard, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to their hiring practices and that they very much run on the good ol boy system. Morale is low, pay is good.

Comment

Originally posted by JC631 View Post
      They police the airport. Is it a good job? That depends. I personally think it'd be boring being confined to the airport grounds. But if you're looking for a foot in the door to activate your certification or you're retired and looking for a cushy job, it's probably good for you. They hire through the Hillsborough County Civil Service Commission. From what I have heard, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to their hiring practices and that they very much run on the good ol boy system. Morale is low, pay is good.
      Does that mean yankee's need not apply?

Comment

It would probably be interesting if you were more interested in the physical security side of an LE job. I spoke to a couple officers about a month ago at Tampa Intl. They said its decent. But more of a security mission. One of the officers had been USAF LE and said it pretty well mirrored the mission in the USAF, but with the huge LE civilian interaction. Most of the calls they got were more of a security type response vs doing T-stops, dope, DVs and the other typical street cop stuff. He said lot of the interaction in a disturbance type of call would be handled by LE at a last resort. Its a customer service based response. Airline management, Airport Management, TSA......then call the cops unless it was an obvious LE response from the start. But pay is definitely online with what the local LE makes. I would think it might be a place that if someone were to stick around, there would be decent turn over possibly to help with seniority. Purely a guess on my part.

If you are in that area, you could also check out the Lee County Port Authority Police in Fort Myers. A couple hrs south, but similar mission.

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
          Does that mean yankee's need not apply?
          I honestly don't know, but to use a phrase you're familiar with (seeing the City tin) "Hey...you never know!"

Comment

Originally posted by JC631 View Post
            Thank you I am Retired from NYCPD and have been working for Orange county sheroff office for almost a year now as a court deputy. I am building a house in tampa so the commute shouldnt be too bad. Thanks alot for your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingPig1 View Post
              It would probably be interesting if you were more interested in the physical security side of an LE job. I spoke to a couple officers about a month ago at Tampa Intl. They said its decent. But more of a security mission. One of the officers had been USAF LE and said it pretty well mirrored the mission in the USAF, but with the huge LE civilian interaction. Most of the calls they got were more of a security type response vs doing T-stops, dope, DVs and the other typical street cop stuff. He said lot of the interaction in a disturbance type of call would be handled by LE at a last resort. Its a customer service based response. Airline management, Airport Management, TSA......then call the cops unless it was an obvious LE response from the start. But pay is definitely online with what the local LE makes. I would think it might be a place that if someone were to stick around, there would be decent turn over possibly to help with seniority. Purely a guess on my part.
              Thanks alot seems like just the right place for me, laid back Iam not looking to be back on the streets again.

If you are in that area, you could also check out the Lee County Port Authority Police in Fort Myers. A couple hrs south, but similar mission.

Comment

I have a friend that works there. He said they are able to patrol outside the airport for a couple blocks but most guys don't. He said pay is good but action is little. He works nights and says a lot of old guys work nights so they can get paid and not do anything. Not a bad starting place if you need to get hired in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by brian2012 View Post
                  I have a friend that works there. He said they are able to patrol outside the airport for a couple blocks but most guys don't. He said pay is good but action is little. He works nights and says a lot of old guys work nights so they can get paid and not do anything. Not a bad starting place if you need to get hired in Florida.
                  Thanks I will give it a shot! Just looking to add to pension thats all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6740 users online. 343 members and 6397 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X