Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you become a cop in FL???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do you become a cop in FL???

    I am from NY and my sister lives in FL. I was looking to move down there as well but need work lol. I was told in order to be a cop anywhere in FL you need to go to a "cop college" first. Is this true and what do they mean? I was also told its not like NY, you don't just take a test and wait to be called. You have to do the "college" then maybe get a job? Can anyone help me out, I would really appreciate it.. Thank you

  • #2
    Not a copper myself. Started applying in 08, didn't get anywhere so I joined the Marine Corps. The vast majority of the agencies in FL require either a
    Minimum of an associates degree, three years of active duty military and be certified. Some agencies will sponsor you through the academy but very few. Just depends on where you're looking to work/live etc. Southeast Fl such as ft laud/broward/Miami dade/ city of Miami/pembroke pines/Davie/DelRay bo a raton all of those agencies and more last time I checked sponsor you through. Hillsboroigh county sheriff in Tampa, Orlando pd in Orlando both sponsor, however most of central Florida and up to the northern part of FL, you won't find an agency that'll sponsor you.
    USMC-6322 Comm/Nav Tech
    Oorah!

    Comment


    • #3
      Florida is different then NY in that you can attend a police academy on your dime and take the state test on your own. This puts you in position to be hired by any agency as you already went though the police academy and they don't have to pay for it.

      Some places will still hire you and send you to the academy at their cost but these are only a few of the larger agencies. Most want you to go on your own.

      Getting hired is the next hurdle. Law enforcement in Florida is very competitive. There are many who have attended the academy but can't find someone to hire them. The last few years were bad due to budgets but I believe things are getting better as many officers have retired leaving openings.

      A college degree is a big plus. Many agencies require it although their minimum requirements do not state that. Most have a 60 credit minimum however.



      In NYC you take the test and if you get a good mark and nothing bad in your back round you get hired. It's not that easy here. You need to pass everything and then convince the agency that you are a good candidate. If they don't like you they will not hire you.

      Comment


      • #4
        Here is all of the information you need that is 100% correct...

        http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Content/...n-officer.aspx
        There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.
        -Ernest Hemingway

        Comment


        • #5
          You have to figure out what part of the state you are looking to move to and the agencies you're interested in. After that it's fairly easy. There is no "cop college" but you will have to find an academy, they are usually at Community Colleges, that you want to do your testing at. If someone is a certified officer in another state, you would need to go through and EOT (comparative compliance) course, and then pass the state exam. You will also then need to complete the cjbat or fbat, and possibly the tabe test (depending on your education background and agency requirements), the physical agility course and possibly a swim test. Once you've done that you can apply. However, there are agencies that will allow you apply prior to going through the EOT course and will pay for you to go through it once you're hired. Good luck to you.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you guys

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 813Deputy2b View Post
              Not a copper myself. Started applying in 08, didn't get anywhere so I joined the Marine Corps. The vast majority of the agencies in FL require either a
              Minimum of an associates degree, three years of active duty military and be certified. Some agencies will sponsor you through the academy but very few. Just depends on where you're looking to work/live etc. Southeast Fl such as ft laud/broward/Miami dade/ city of Miami/pembroke pines/Davie/DelRay bo a raton all of those agencies and more last time I checked sponsor you through. Hillsboroigh county sheriff in Tampa, Orlando pd in Orlando both sponsor, however most of central Florida and up to the northern part of FL, you won't find an agency that'll sponsor you.
              Curious....you are a 6322....when did you go through school in Pcola?

              (To the OP)RE: becoming LE in Florida, there is another thread on here about it somewhere in the Florida section, and the FDLE site has a wealth of information.

              Once you go over that, if you still have questions, please feel free to ask them.

              Comment


              • #8
                What's the process if you are a current police officer from out of state? I'm in Illinois, and thinking of making the move down there

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Roosh725 View Post
                  What's the process if you are a current police officer from out of state? I'm in Illinois, and thinking of making the move down there
                  You attend the Equivalency of Training (EOT) course at select academies through the state. The cheapest ($450) and fastest (5 days) is Chipola College (https://www.chipola.edu/PublicService/EqTraining.htm) in Mariana FL. Excellent instructors and and materials to get you prepared for the state exam. Fly Southwest into Panama City Beach and drive the hour to Mariana. They have a deal with one of the local hotels that offers great rates and very clean rooms. Once you take and pass the course, you take the state exam. Once you pass that, you're certifiable in FL., meaning that you can now be hired. Once you're actually hired, your cert. gets activated and now you're certified.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thank you for the info.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ROOSH…hit me up (private)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My friend and I are LEO's in Atlanta and we were told that we needed to take a "TABE" test to apply to Ft.Lauderdale. This information was given by the website for Ft. Lauderdale that stated one needed a 12.9 within each academic category before making an online application. Will the EOT override this TABE test?
                        Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely. ~ Siddhartha Guatama

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by BlueStreaker View Post
                          My friend and I are LEO's in Atlanta and we were told that we needed to take a "TABE" test to apply to Ft.Lauderdale. This information was given by the website for Ft. Lauderdale that stated one needed a 12.9 within each academic category before making an online application. Will the EOT override this TABE test?
                          No. The TABE is cake...just find a testing center (even in Atlanta) and take it.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 6698 users online. 358 members and 6340 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X