300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Military to Police Officer

I've looked and came up with negative results. I am sure this has something to do with poor searching skills. Either way I hope you guys and gals can help. I am currently an Active duty Soldier in the Army's Criminal Investigation Command, my ETS is May of 2016 with about 2 months of leave before that. Due to my MOS I have a little bit of flexibility when it comes to taking some time off for things like interviews and testing.

My question is: How long in advance would you guys recommend I start applying at departments? I see from other posts that it can and does take anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half depending. I would like to try and have a job secured prior to my ETS date so I would be able start the academy right away.

I am looking to move to the Orange County area if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for the replies.
    And maybe remind the few, if ill of us they speak, that we are all that stands between the monsters and the weak.

Well it depends on certain departments. A majority of departments want you already certified (graduated the academy and passed the state exam) before applying to them. Reason for that is because some departments are on a budget freeze and they don't have the funds to send individuals to the academy and pay them a salary. Now, there are some departments who actually will sponsor you and send you to the academy, Orange County Sheriffs Office being one of them.

I am not familiar with the Equivalency of Training (EOT) but depending on your MOS and time in service, you may not have to go through the academy, only a "refresher course" of high liability and Defensive Tactics. This course i believe is about a month long and after taking the course you will go straight to taking the State Exam.

So to basically wrap of what I wrote, research the departments in and around Orange County and check their websites to see if they sponsor individuals or not. Basically the job posting will be "Non-Cert" Or "seeking Certified Officers."

Edit: Some information I stated may not be accurate or out of date. Only stated what I remember users posting here about your similar case.

Comment

Venthago- Thanks for the reply. I have done a bunch of research and I know OCSO and Orlando PD and a few others in the area offer sponsorship to a limited number of people. I also understand that being certified would give me a huge advantage but unfortunately due to being the sole "bread winner" in a house of five it is not advantageous for me to self sponsor.

I have looked at EOT and thought about it but again unfortunately I was not an MP prior to becoming a CID Agent. The school for my MOS focuses solely on investigative techniques which is great for my current job but offered very little as far as basic police skills. The last thing I want to do is EOT and get out on the road and get myself or another officer hurt because I don't know what I'm doing.

Again though thank you for the reply. Would you happen to have any advice on when I should start putting in applications?
      And maybe remind the few, if ill of us they speak, that we are all that stands between the monsters and the weak.

Comment

You should probably contact the agencies by phone about 18 months prior to your separation date and ask for their opinions. The hiring process can vary from agency to agency and even from year to year depending on hiring needs. It would be unfortunate if you were processed and offered a job with a start date that is before your ETS.

Also keep in mind that while there are agencies out there that do offer sponsorships, most of those agencies do not solely hire sponsored recruits. An agency may only sponsor a class once or twice a year. For that reason, you may end up having a long wait until the academy if you plan on getting a sponsored slot. They obviously aren't going to schedule their academies around your ETS date, and the most likely scenario is that you're going to have several months between your separation from the military and when you start an academy.

Your other option, as has been explained to you, is to self-sponsor. That opens up the door to many other agencies. You can use your GI Bill to pay for the academy and even take the academy part-time while working a full-time job. Many people do this. Your other option if you are dead-set on getting pre-hired and sponsored is to open up your search to agencies in south Florida, where sponsorship is more common. There are also several agencies in the Tampa Bay area that will sponsor. If you're adamant about staying in the Orlando area, you're putting all your eggs in a very small basket.
        Last edited by Delta_V; 08-11-2014, 02:54 PM.

Comment

DeltaV- I appreciate your response. Central FL is where I would like to end up but I am keeping my options open. The only place I really don't want to go is the Miami area mainly due to cost of living. If I'm not mistaken your on Tampa PD right? I wish they offered sponsorship slots. I have looked into Hillsborough also and that is definitely an option.

Part time academy is also something I'll have to look at. Self sponsoring through a full time is impossible for me. Even though the GI bill pays for the academy they only give you a housing allowance which is not enough to live off of.

Again thank you for your response. I definitely appreciate all the help I can get.

Comment

Tampa PD does sponsor, but it's usually one class per year of less than 20 people. Hillsborough SO sponsors everyone they hire and puts them through the academy. They have several classes per year. St. Petersburg PD and Pinellas SO also sponsor. I believe Polk SO also sponsors.

If it comes down to the wire and it looks like getting sponsored for a LE job isn't going to happen, there's always corrections. After the corrections academy, all you have to do is go through a crossover course from corrections to LE and you can start applying for police jobs. It's much easier to get sponsored for a corrections position than a LE position.

Comment

I did not know that. Thank you for the information. I'll look into those departments and corrections.

Comment

http://www.ocso.com/employmentinfo/l...7/default.aspx

Contact Bernard "Fred" Kolb, recruiter at OCSO. He is very helpful and knowledgeable and specializes in questions about military to police.

Comment

Hillsborough SO loves ex military and will put you through their academy. Pinellas SO will also sponsor you and just received at good raise and step plan. They are better paid then Hillsborough now by a small margin. Pinellas also has a sign up bonus if you meet their qualifications.

Going to Corrections is the long route to the street. Many have done this but I wouldn't suggest it unless all other options do not pan out.

Comment

Thanks everybody for your responses. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Derek,

I made the same transition you are trying to make. PM me your email address and I will put you in touch with some contacts to help you out. There are a fair number of retired agents in the area that would probably help you out.

Comment

LandGuppy- PM sent!

Comment

Tequesta PD had something recently for this. They now have 4 officers in the academy due to this program. Perhaps when the time is right, you can put an in. Program is over, but TPD loves military...

http://forums.officer.com/t192699/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3594 users online. 136 members and 3458 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X