300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tattoos.

I've been beating myself up a lot and over thinking about my tattoos. I have a full sleeve on my left arm (doesn't pass my wrist) and one tattoo on my right arm and a tattoo on the back of my neck (can be covered completely in a collared shirt)

I'm nervous about getting a job and I just really would like anyone's opinion or input on the challenges I face ahead.

I'm starting the academy in Sept.

Also i plan on starting tattoo removal for the neck tattoo asap.

P.s none of my tattoos are gang related, show discrimination or anything of that nature.

Well honestly with that neck tattoo alone, you have a 0% chance. You say you will get it removed so it can raise your chances. Honestly I cant speak for every department in Florida because each department has its own policies about tattoos. Orange County Sheriffs Office for example use to have a strict tattoo policy. Basically anything passed a short sleeve shirt was a no go, but they just changed it a few weeks ago to where you have to wear a long sleeve shirt to cover it or wear the long sleeve dress shirt. Some departments wont hire you if you have tattoos on the arms, even if they can be covered. So honestly it just depends per department.

Comment

It was stated on Wesh 2 within the last few days that departments are rethinking their tattoo policies. I dont know where that will get you but there`s a chance. If you can move I would look up north departments are`nt worried soo much about tattoo`s and wether or not you use tobacco (as its ok to be a raging alcoholic just dont smoke LOL!)

Comment

Originally posted by venthago View Post
        Well honestly with that neck tattoo alone, you have a 0% chance. You say you will get it removed so it can raise your chances. Honestly I cant speak for every department in Florida because each department has its own policies about tattoos. Orange County Sheriffs Office for example use to have a strict tattoo policy. Basically anything passed a short sleeve shirt was a no go, but they just changed it a few weeks ago to where you have to wear a long sleeve shirt to cover it or wear the long sleeve dress shirt. Some departments wont hire you if you have tattoos on the arms, even if they can be covered. So honestly it just depends per department.
        There is no such thing as a 0% chance. I worked with a Investigator in Florida who had full-sleeves, neck tattoos and tattoos on his hands and knuckles. Due to OPSEC, I won't disclose too much more.

Comment

There is such a thing as a zero percent chance. He has a zero percent chance at my agency and any other agency that prohibits visible tattoos in the standard short sleeve uniform shirt. Each agency has different policies about tattoos and I've actually seen them start to get more restrictive around here, not less stringent as indicated in another post.

Comment

A 0% chance at your agency does not equate to a 0% chance at another agency.

However, Delta is correct in that it most likely prohibits your ability to work uniformed patrol. The investigator that I met is more than likely the exception, not the norm and he never worked uniformed patrol.
            Last edited by Caballero1508; 08-01-2014, 10:12 AM.

Comment

That's what I'm looking to get into is uniform patrol.

Comment

Originally posted by Caballero1508 View Post
                A 0% chance at your agency does not equate to a 0% chance at another agency.

However, Delta is correct in that it most likely prohibits your ability to work uniformed patrol. The investigator that I met is more than likely the exception, not the norm and he never worked uniformed patrol.
                So this investigator started his career as a detective and was never in patrol?????

Comment

Originally posted by usetobe View Post
                  So this investigator started his career as a detective and was never in patrol?????

It's possible with the correct background and degree.

Comment

Yes. I didn't believe he was a cop when I first saw him and met him.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLeo76 View Post
                      I would think it was more like he started at a department where Daddy was the chief.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLeo76 View Post
                        At what type of agency; can you name one in particular?

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
                          At what type of agency; can you name one in particular?

With no uniformed experience?

AFOSI Special Investigations

IRS Criminal Investigations.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement (for non-sworn such as analysts conversion to sworn)

Homeland Security Investigations (ICE)

OPM Background Investigators

USIS Contract Background Investigators

And plenty other Federal agencies which hire based on education, veteran status and specialized skills.

Etc.

Comment

Yeah what he said^ lol

Comment

Originally posted by Caballero1508 View Post
                              With no uniformed experience?

AFOSI Special Investigations

IRS Criminal Investigations.

Florida Department of Law Enforcement (for non-sworn such as analysts conversion to sworn)

Homeland Security Investigations (ICE)

OPM Background Investigators

USIS Contract Background Investigators

And plenty other Federal agencies which hire based on education, veteran status and specialized skills.

Etc.
                              The reference
                              was toward actual police agencies with uniformed patrol divisions. I understand that the federal government is different, as are some prosecutor's offices, etc.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4336 users online. 247 members and 4089 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X