300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few questions on FHP Auxiliary

Hey there, I have a few questions surrounding FHPA I would like to get clarified.

I understand to join the auxiliary it has the same hiring process as joining full time and If I go auxiliary and want to go full time, that I redo the hiring process again and that I have to do the TRC program(I already graduated an academy and passed the state exam.)

My question is, let's say for argument sake, in my case since I graduated the academy and I'm "certifiable" will going auxiliary activate my certification? My main concern is I don't want my certification to reach its 4 year expiration deadline. Another question I have is I read on its website that there is a 319 hour course. Is this before getting into the auxiliary program or after getting into the auxiliary? Is the 319 hour classes in the FHP academy or in your local station?

Just to save some confusion on how I wrote my questions, here are the steps to FHPA that I heard from and read up on:

1)Apply
    2)Application Process(interview, background etc etc)
    3)Conditional Offer/Offer of acceptance
    4)319 hour courses
    5)"Swear in."

Basically what im getting different information on is that either you do the 319 hour course then get into the Auxiliary or Get into the Auxiliary then complete the 319 hour course little by little. Then im thinking about my Certification, will it get activated before or after the 319 course or if I even have to do the course all together.
    Last edited by venthago; 07-25-2014, 11:12 PM.

(Edit) Double post.

Comment

Yes. Reserve and/or Auxiliary will activate your certification and also maintain it as long as you also maintain the same mandatory retraining requirements for a full-time officer. Do all the CBTs on FDLE's website, firearms, defensive tactics, etc.

I don't know the answer to the 319 hour thing; however, if you are already certified and went through full academy, you will go through the condensed transitional academy instead of the full one.

Is there a reason you want to pursue Auxiliary first and not full-time somewhere else?

Comment

Originally posted by Caballero1508 View Post
        Yes. Reserve and/or Auxiliary will activate your certification and also maintain it as long as you also maintain the same mandatory retraining requirements for a full-time officer. Do all the CBTs on FDLE's website, firearms, defensive tactics, etc.

I don't know the answer to the 319 hour thing; however, if you are already certified and went through full academy, you will go through the condensed transitional academy instead of the full one.

Is there a reason you want to pursue Auxiliary first and not full-time somewhere else?
        When you mean condenses transitional academy, do u mean the same course that the TRC full time troopers go to? The two month course? Or is there an actual more less condensed course then that? Honestly I'm keeping my options open. I have applied to multiple of places and whoever picks me up first, is where i'll go. If I get picked up for a reserve/auxiliary program I'll just continue to pursue my college degree and gain experience to have a better resume to apply for better agencies in the future.

Comment

You would probably be better going full time if that is what you really want. If you just want to get certified before your 4 years are up that might be a option, but there are smaller agencies that might pick you up as a reserve quicker than FHP.

The 319 hour program I would guess is the training for auxiliary if you had not already been to a police academy. I would think if you have already been to a academy, you would go into some type FTO program. You might make a few phone calls and get it confirmed.

How much time do you have left on your 4 years? Where do you live or want to work?
          Last edited by usetobe; 07-26-2014, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by usetobe View Post
            You would probably be better going full time if that is what you really want. If you just want to get certified before your 4 years are up that might be a option, but there are smaller agencies that might pick you up as a reserve quicker than FHP.

The 319 hour program I would guess is the training for auxiliary if you had not already been to a police academy. I would think if you have already been to a academy, you would go into some type FTO program. You might make a few phone calls and get it confirmed.

How much time do you have left on your 4 years? Where do you live or want to work?
            I have some time. In February I will be in my two year mark. I live in South Florida but im willing to work anywhere up to Orange County and down.

Comment

I know that Pinellas County is hiring and believe it or not can put you thru the process at lighting speed compared to other agencies. That is in Clearwater fl. so it's in central fl. They have a good reputation and not too many disgruntled employees like other agencies have. Their court deputies are full LE deputies so there are two options road and court.

Comment

I'm in the FHP Auxiliary process and I'm just thinking of using the experience gained from that to get hired by another agency like Miami Dade Police Department or some other in South Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by altaccount1992 View Post
                  I'm in the FHP Auxiliary process and I'm just thinking of using the experience gained from that to get hired by another agency like Miami Dade Police Department or some other in South Florida.
                  Are you going to attend school while in Auxiliary? I recommend finding full-time work or going to school at the same time, because some agencies will only credit full-time work or they'll add the hours together. For instance, if you work 8 hours a month for 5 months (40 hours total) it might be the equivalent of one week of full-time experience.

So while it looks great as volunteer work and will earn some good experiences, it may not stand out as much as someone with full-time work / degrees / etc.

Comment

So I talked to a recruiter and basically here are some key points he told me.

1) If you are certified, i.e been through an academy and passed the state exam and it has not expired, you do not have to take the 319 hour course in Tallahassee.

2) You still have to take a few high liability courses if you do not take the 319 course. Which is in your local troop. Miami being the one across from dolphin mall.

3) For those who get their certificate activated with the Auxiliary, a minimum of 8 hours a month is needed.

4) There are "levels" within the Auxiliary. level I: Civilian, may assist in administrative roles only and perform non-law enforcement functions. II: Issued weapon, equipment, and uniform, may ride with Troopers and perform law enforcement functions. III: May drive a patrol vehicle and assist motorists and Troopers on the road. IV: May do all functions of a Level III while also being able to work some crashes (basically a Community Service Officer). For those with no certifications will come as a level 1. Those with certifications will join as level 2.

5) The auxiliary assist with events like football games or NASCAR events and other off-duties work. Auxiliary troopers do not get any money during these off-duties and assignments. The money however will go to the auxiliary directly, in which they use to buy equipment etc. etc.

To have a better understanding of the auxiliary, think of them as a JROTC unit from your local high school or college. They wear the same uniforms as those from the military and represent the same thing, but in reality they are not. JROTC assists in charity events and local events with their own "mission." Just like the Auxiliary in comparison with the FHP. Of course the Auxiliary carries a badge and gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Caballero1508 View Post
                      Are you going to attend school while in Auxiliary? I recommend finding full-time work or going to school at the same time, because some agencies will only credit full-time work or they'll add the hours together. For instance, if you work 8 hours a month for 5 months (40 hours total) it might be the equivalent of one week of full-time experience.

So while it looks great as volunteer work and will earn some good experiences, it may not stand out as much as someone with full-time work / degrees / etc.
                      I'm going for a criminal justice A.A and have been trying to get a job since finishing high school but had no luck so far. I plan to do more than the minimum eight hours though.

Comment

Originally posted by venthago View Post
                        So I talked to a recruiter and basically here are some key points he told me.

1) If you are certified, i.e been through an academy and passed the state exam and it has not expired, you do not have to take the 319 hour course in Tallahassee.

2) You still have to take a few high liability courses if you do not take the 319 course. Which is in your local troop. Miami being the one across from dolphin mall.

3) For those who get their certificate activated with the Auxiliary, a minimum of 8 hours a month is needed.

4) There are "levels" within the Auxiliary. level I: Civilian, may assist in administrative roles only and perform non-law enforcement functions. II: Issued weapon, equipment, and uniform, may ride with Troopers and perform law enforcement functions. III: May drive a patrol vehicle and assist motorists and Troopers on the road. IV: May do all functions of a Level III while also being able to work some crashes (basically a Community Service Officer). For those with no certifications will come as a level 1. Those with certifications will join as level 2.

5) The auxiliary assist with events like football games or NASCAR events and other off-duties work. Auxiliary troopers do not get any money during these off-duties and assignments. The money however will go to the auxiliary directly, in which they use to buy equipment etc. etc.

To have a better understanding of the auxiliary, think of them as a JROTC unit from your local high school or college. They wear the same uniforms as those from the military and represent the same thing, but in reality they are not. JROTC assists in charity events and local events with their own "mission." Just like the Auxiliary in comparison with the FHP. Of course the Auxiliary carries a badge and gun.
                        Do you know if becoming an auxiliary gets you fully certified as a law enforcement officer? Would you become certified for this?
                        Also I've been looking around for the answer to this question do auxiliaries get take home uniform and equipment or do they just leave it in a locker or something when they are going home?

Comment

Originally posted by altaccount1992 View Post
                          Do you know if becoming an auxiliary gets you fully certified as a law enforcement officer? Would you become certified for this?
                          Also I've been looking around for the answer to this question do auxiliaries get take home uniform and equipment or do they just leave it in a locker or something when they are going home?
                          Im not 100% sure but the 319 hour course will not be equivalent to six months in the academy and taking the state exam. If that was the case, there would be no need for an FDLE approved 6 month academy course if a 319 hour course is available. In my situation my certification will become active and I will become certified only because I been through the academy and passed my SOCE. You will have "certain" powers in the auxiliary only with the presence of a full time trooper. Gear is issued to you yes, but not a take home. After you reach a certain level in the Auxiliary, it states you can sign out a car and perform some trooper duties but return it at the end of the day. The 319 hour course is a crash course to a few liabilities the state recommends before heading to the road. Honestly to be realistic, the Auxiliary are gloried ride-alongs. You are given training, a badge/gun and ride shotgun with a trooper to assist him. Auxiliary tends more for civilians who want to make a difference and volunteer their time for a few hours a month while still having a full time career.

If your looking for take homes as a reserve/auxiliary, you need to look at full time positions.

Comment

Originally posted by venthago View Post
                            Honestly to be realistic, the Auxiliary are gloried ride-alongs. You are given training, a badge/gun and ride shotgun with a trooper to assist him. Auxiliary tends more for civilians who want to make a difference and volunteer their time for a few hours a month while still having a full time career.

If your looking for take homes as a reserve/auxiliary, you need to look at full time positions.
                            This is true about auxiliary, they are for those who do not want a full time job but like police work. Some agencies call the auxiliary Reserve II. The full reserve people have completed the 6 month academy and have gone though FTO training just like any full time paid employee and can go on their own.

There are people out there who like law enforcement work and always wanted to be a cop, the problem is they have jobs making much more money and aren't going to give that up for a troopers salary. For these the auxiliary is perfect. Some agencies frown upon people going in the auxiliary as a stepping stone to a full time job, some don't care.

The agency I worked for (not FHP) had a high regard for their auxiliary people. No one I know of referred to them in a negative way and were glad to have the extra help. They would put two auxiliary in a car and let them handle simple calls like stalled cars, dog calls, traffic control at a crash scene etc.. This freed up a zone car for report calls and what ever else was needed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4418 users online. 257 members and 4161 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X