300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correction Probation Officer

Does anyone have any info on them? Are they active? Have an interview with them in a week, just want some feedback or info.

What do you mean by "are they active?"

CPOs are more social workers than law enforcers. A good number of them choose not to even carry firearms. Like many other state jobs the pay isn't that great, but you probably knew that if you already applied. You do still get special risk retirement, which is good.

You will go through a different academy for CPO than for LE, which means that if you ever want to go into LE in the future, you will have to go through a crossover academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
      What do you mean by "are they active?"

CPOs are more social workers than law enforcers. A good number of them choose not to even carry firearms. Like many other state jobs the pay isn't that great, but you probably knew that if you already applied. You do still get special risk retirement, which is good.

You will go through a different academy for CPO than for LE, which means that if you ever want to go into LE in the future, you will have to go through a crossover academy.
      Thanks for the reply. I actually decided not to go through with it, the money isn't there at all. I want to go into law enforcement, not baby sit criminals. And by active I meant are they out in the field a lot and such. I was considering just sponsoring myself through a corrections academy, then doing a cross over to patrol after a few years, I don't know if that make sense but I feel like its easier to get into a corrections position first.

Comment

As a whole CPOs do not do a lot of field work. Those who supervise more high risk offenders are out in the field more, and there are CPOs on the regional fugitive task forces (USMS). Still, the vast majority of their work is in the office. As I previously said, they aren't even required to carry firearms.

It definitely is easier to get hired into corrections, however making the jump from corrections to LE is more difficult. This is especially true if you're trying to go from a CO position to a LE position at the same agency. As correctional positions are harder to fill, agencies don't want to fill a LE position (more attractive for applicants) and then have to backfill your corrections position (less attractive for applicants). It's just a decision you have to make. If you don't have the background or qualifications to make you competitive in LE hiring then it's something worth considering.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
          As a whole CPOs do not do a lot of field work. Those who supervise more high risk offenders are out in the field more, and there are CPOs on the regional fugitive task forces (USMS). Still, the vast majority of their work is in the office. As I previously said, they aren't even required to carry firearms.

It definitely is easier to get hired into corrections, however making the jump from corrections to LE is more difficult. This is especially true if you're trying to go from a CO position to a LE position at the same agency. As correctional positions are harder to fill, agencies don't want to fill a LE position (more attractive for applicants) and then have to backfill your corrections position (less attractive for applicants). It's just a decision you have to make. If you don't have the background or qualifications to make you competitive in LE hiring then it's something worth considering.
          Thanks, I have a B.S. in Criminal Justice and I'm an Auxiliary with the NYPD. Thats the extent of my experience. Im still thinking about it if I want to do it or not though, im thinking about going through with FHP.

Comment

A four year degree along with some work experience and a solid background will make you competitive at most places. I don't know how much the auxiliary experience will help since it's a lot different from what reserve officers do down here, but it at least will count as volunteer experience with a LE agency.

Comment

FHP is a good agency and although they don't have the best salary, you will get a salary to go through the academy and become state certified. If FHP isn't your cup of tea, you'll be state certified and able to transition more easily to another agency with your certification and some experience.

I have friends in FHP, and their academy seems to have great training. If they paid more, I would consider throwing in an app.

FWC is another state agency that has an academy and puts people through. They patrol on boats, trucks and 4-wheelers and they are state officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Caballero1508 View Post
                FHP is a good agency and although they don't have the best salary, you will get a salary to go through the academy and become state certified. If FHP isn't your cup of tea, you'll be state certified and able to transition more easily to another agency with your certification and some experience.

I have friends in FHP, and their academy seems to have great training. If they paid more, I would consider throwing in an app.

FWC is another state agency that has an academy and puts people through. They patrol on boats, trucks and 4-wheelers and they are state officers.
                When I looked at FHP it says the top pay is 88 grand.

Comment

Sure...maybe for a captain or major.

Comment

Originally posted by NYPD14AUX View Post
                    When I looked at FHP it says the top pay is 88 grand.
                    Yeah you better read that again because FHP Troopers do not make anywhere near that. I don't think they make much more than 45,000 if that. The State LEO's are the worst paid ones around, that is why they have become a training ground for everyone. Most Troopers move on the better paying LEO jobs with other agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by usetobe View Post
                      Yeah you better read that again because FHP Troopers do not make anywhere near that. I don't think they make much more than 45,000 if that. The State LEO's are the worst paid ones around, that is why they have become a training ground for everyone. Most Troopers move on the better paying LEO jobs with other agencies.
                      Oh I see, maybe they posted the salary as steps in rank and I didn't realize. Thats really crappy, Id rather try to continue my application with Hillsborough county. Again, thanks for the help and info.

Comment

Originally posted by NYPD14AUX View Post
                        Oh I see, maybe they posted the salary as steps in rank and I didn't realize. Thats really crappy, Id rather try to continue my application with Hillsborough county. Again, thanks for the help and info.
                        I retired from the same pension system f.h.p. is in, I did 26 yrs and in 2009 my pay was 78 % of 90 k.....

a regular trooper would have to do 50 years and hope all his extra details & court time is counted toward his retirement.

plus the trooper or other state agency prob has to pay full boat for heath insurance which makes ya work a lot longer than

ya want.
                        " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                        " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4156 users online. 233 members and 3923 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X