Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jersey to Florida - A Couple of Questions

Hello all,

I have been reviewing the forums and various internet resources, however I still have a few questions.

1. The E.O.T. process must be completed by the applicant, prior to any applications being submitted, correct?

2. Does the applicant have to pay and complete the two-week training course prior to submitting applications? Are there any agencies that sponsor or pay for their applicants to attend? Must I complete the S.O.C.E. on my own before applying? Does this give me a better chance?

3. Are there any agencies in Palm Beach County, Miami-Dade County, or Broward County that anyone could recommend for an out of state applicant with eight years of experience; five of them were as a Detective.

Thank you all for the assistance.

Obviously having the EOT course completed at the time of your application is a plus but not absolutely required by every agency. I know my department, which is in Palm Beach County, lists on our website that we will pay for your to go through the course if hired. Other agencies may do the same or you'll have to complete the course upon hire within a certain time frame. Good luck to you.

Comment

1. No it's not required, but it's plus.

2. Some agencies will sponsor you through the EOT process, but you limit your choice of departments to those few agencies. I recommend paying your way through the EOT just for flexibility purposes. You also have a better chance, because you save departments money.

** Chipola College has the best pricing for the EOT course and it's only a week long.

3. All I know is in Broward Hollywood and Miramar are hiring. 911hotjobs is a good source.

Comment

Thanks for the help, guys! Be safe.

Comment

We just had a guy come from New Jersey and he started and then was sent to EOT by the dept.

Comment

Originally posted by 11B250 View Post
            We just had a guy come from New Jersey and he started and then was sent to EOT by the dept.
            That would be the optimal scenario for me, but I will start the process in the meantime.

Comment

Two more questions for you guys:

1. If I apply for an E.O.T. through one Selection Center, may I choose another to take the high liability training?

2. Is there any buy-back options in the pension system for experienced police officers? I know it is a stretch, but I figured I would give it a shot.

Comment

Not sure about the answer to question one, but I would imagine that if you're going to go through it one place you might as well just get it all done at one time. As far as question #2, yes there are many agencies that will allow you to buy back time, you just need to research it depending on where you are looking to apply. Many places, like where I am, allow you to buy back up to 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by SJR1709 View Post
                  Not sure about the answer to question one, but I would imagine that if you're going to go through it one place you might as well just get it all done at one time. As far as question #2, yes there are many agencies that will allow you to buy back time, you just need to research it depending on where you are looking to apply. Many places, like where I am, allow you to buy back up to 5 years.
                  The prices are drastically different, that is why I ask.

That is great to hear. This is all a bit overwhelming. There are a ton of different tests and requirements.

Comment

IIRC, the training center is actually where your EOT is processed. You would need to do the training at that center in order for them to process it.

To add to what SJR said, it would be beneficial to you to review the pension funds of the agencies you're interested in. While county agencies are all under FRS, most municipalities have their own pensions. Everything from multipliers, to contribution rates, to retirement age, to survivor benefits varies from place to place. Many pensions do allow a member to purchase years of prior service, however it's not cheap and usually must be paid for in a lump sum.

I would also reiterate that while one agency may pay for your EOT while another won't, you need to look at the big picture. They might make a $1000 investment in you now, but you might end up with a lower starting salary and worse benefits than you would get with a different agency that won't pay for your EOT.
                    Last edited by Delta_V; 06-13-2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
                      IIRC, the training center is actually where your EOT is processed. You would need to do the training at that center in order for them to process it.

To add to what SJR said, it would be beneficial to you to review the pension funds of the agencies you're interested in. While county agencies are all under FRS, most municipalities have their own pensions. Everything from multipliers, to contribution rates, to retirement age, to survivor benefits varies from place to place. Many pensions do allow a member to purchase years of prior service, however it's not cheap and usually must be paid for in a lump sum.

I would also reiterate that while one agency may pay for your EOT while another won't, you need to look at the big picture. They might make a $1000 investment in you now, but you might end up with a lower starting salary and worse benefits than you would get with a different agency that won't pay for your EOT.
                      Thank you all for the responses. So, if I complete E.O.T. application with Polk County, I must also take the two-week training course there? Once I obtain the CJSTC Form 76, I cannot just take it to any academy for training?

Comment

Just curious, but eight years is a significant amount of time in an agency and towards your pension. Why are you looking to leave?

Comment

Originally posted by BNWS View Post
                          Just curious, but eight years is a significant amount of time in an agency and towards your pension. Why are you looking to leave?
                          My other half wants to move. I am trying to fully evaluate the transition. We cannot forget about the warm weather and cost of living.

Comment

Originally posted by npappagiorgio14 View Post
                            Thank you all for the responses. So, if I complete E.O.T. application with Polk County, I must also take the two-week training course there? Once I obtain the CJSTC Form 76, I cannot just take it to any academy for training?
                            You should probably call and ask to be 100% certain, but due to the work it takes on the training center's part to process your EOT paperwork with the state, I can't imagine them doing it for free. I do know that the form is submitted by the training center to CJSTC and they enter information into the state's computerized training database. They don't give you the form. I can't see a center doing that work out of the goodness of their hearts, but you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by npappagiorgio14 View Post
                              My other half wants to move. I am trying to fully evaluate the transition. We cannot forget about the warm weather and cost of living.
                              Even though the pay might be similar and the lifestyle more appealing not many places inthe country match the benefits we get in the northeast. Not trying to dissuade you, just letting you know to look at that end of it. For example as an active cop I paid less than 20 dollars a month for healthcare( for my whole family). When we are young we dont think of these things. But you will not be young forever. Not every place offers lifetime medical for your family.
                              Last edited by BNWS; 06-13-2014, 11:15 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6072 users online. 346 members and 5726 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X