300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO to deputy

Who out there wanted to be a deputy but went the CO way to get your LE career started, but, had to stay in corrections more than the required 2 years before you were sent to the academy to transfer over? Not too many out there are sponsoring to become a deputy with today's budgets, but, quite a few though are putting cadets through for CO, sponsoring.

Would be great to get sponsored & payed, along with a job at the end. But I'm not interested staying with corrections longer than 2 years. The next academy in my area is in Jan. There is an academy for corrections in about 4 months with the local SO, and I was thinking of Fl. Department of Corrections...just to get my foot in the door. Or I can stick it out & wait to sponsor myself in Jan, that process starts in the fall.
    Last edited by Yesman; 05-08-2014, 04:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Just some info I found out the other day, for those in the same boat as I am. Wondering which route to take!

I spoke with a deputy here in Collier County where I do armed security. He started off with Collier as a CO, they put him through the academy & he stayed 9 years before going to a patrol deputy. He said he could have crossed over to patrol after 2 years, but elected to stay in corrections. He also stated he payed for the crossover academy but Collier payed him back.

I'm just trying to find out what my best path would be. Sometime this week I'll be speaking with my cousin's husband, he's a Lieutenant with Winter Springs.
    Last edited by Yesman; 05-12-2014, 01:43 PM. Reason: grammer. DOH!

Comment

I personally did a few years in the jail as a Correctional Officer before getting dual certified and getting onto the road. I would suggest to you that if you want to be on the street and have the ability to go to the LEO academy, to go that route rather then using the jail as a stepping stone. Yes I did make it, but out of I believe 15-20 CO's in my crossover class only four or so of us made it onto the street fully sworn. Everyone else was turned down or offered reserve positions (No pay/volunteer).

If you don't want to be in the jail you will not be happy and will end up getting jammed up. Another thing is doing a crossover academy while working full time is very difficult on family life/personal well being. In order for you to hit your projected timeline of only two years in the jail, you would have to start the crossover academy at about your one year anniversary. The crossover academy is approximately 8 months long even going 5 days a week/4 hours a day. You would also have to start applying for your LEO position at an agency around the same time frame. I can tell you firsthand though if you get hired to a Sheriff's Office that runs the jail and the road, the jail brass is not going to be too happy with their less than two year CO applying for a transfer to the road when he just stopped smelling like supply.

This is just my .02 cents but I say just self sponsor and start applying in January. You will regret the other path.
      "If I won the lottery, I'd buy myself a police department. I'd hire all my buddies and we'd all drive Corvette patrol cars and sit around the doughnut shop I would own. Whenever someone would come in and say "I guess this my tax dollars at work", I would tell him to get the hell out my doughnut shop, then we'd all laugh and try to figure out what to do next."

--Quote taken from User "kcso"....hope you don't mind buddy, but this was just too funny not to steal from you....I'm still laughing.--

Comment

If you start in a jail, you will probably learn the art of how to talk to people. Sometimes that helps later on in LE. If you don't like it, you can always quit.
        September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

If your serious about becoming a LEO and want to start on the streets, put yourself through the academy. If you wanna be in CO go to their academy. I mean it's not rocket science, it all just depends on what you wanna do.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureLeo76 View Post
            If your serious about becoming a LEO and want to start on the streets, put yourself through the academy. If you wanna be in CO go to their academy. I mean it's not rocket science, it all just depends on what you wanna do.
            It's not as easy as that for some people, especially with many sheriff's offices encouraging applicants to fill less desirable detention positions with the carrot being dangled in front of them suggesting that they'll be able to transfer to the road in a couple years. The problem in Florida is that law enforcement and corrections are completely separate. In many agencies in other states where the certifications are the same, it's actually a requirement for a deputy to begin their career in the jail. Uneducated applicants for a job in Florida might think it's the same way here.

Additionally, there aren't all that many departments that will sponsor LE applicants and put them through an academy. Almost every agency does that for corrections. Some people just can't afford to put themselves through an academy and have to go the self-sponsor route even though it would be the ideal situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_V View Post
              It's not as easy as that for some people, especially with many sheriff's offices encouraging applicants to fill less desirable detention positions with the carrot being dangled in front of them suggesting that they'll be able to transfer to the road in a couple years. The problem in Florida is that law enforcement and corrections are completely separate. In many agencies in other states where the certifications are the same, it's actually a requirement for a deputy to begin their career in the jail. Uneducated applicants for a job in Florida might think it's the same way here.

Additionally, there aren't all that many departments that will sponsor LE applicants and put them through an academy. Almost every agency does that for corrections. Some people just can't afford to put themselves through an academy and have to go the self-sponsor route even though it would be the ideal situation.

I agree. But you don't have to become a deputy to become a LEO. In my opinion I think becoming a deputy and going into FRS is absolutely nuts, working 30 years to retire? Especially if you're already middle aged. I'm getting off topic. Anyways, if you want to become a LEO you don't have to work in the jail first, self sponsor yourself. Take a loan out, your credit has to be good in most departments so getting a loan shouldn't be that hard. Here in west palm beach, it is competive don't get me wrong but if you're determined and dedicated to getting a job, you'll find one. Most departments down here you don't need to work in the jail first. Minimum req. are florida state cert. I'm lucky enough to start my carrer young and still be able to have a school loan pay for it but like I said take a loan out if you're serious about becoming a police officer and put yourself through the academy and just apply to everywhere in Florida and you'll get a job somewhere. I personally would never start in the jail first.

Comment

Many guys start in a job they really not interested in to get into the pension system. Unless you are guaranteed that street deputy academy spot in January I would do whatever I could to get into the pension system as soon as possible. Of course if you get a pension from your armed security gig then thats a different story.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3940 users online. 259 members and 3681 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X